Cleaning my pack?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering what you all do to clean your packs? I know yesterday after humping it hard for a few miles my entire harness was soaked with sweat to the point that the load lifters were acting as wicks and were soaked as well.
Thanks,
Jason

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally don't clean them, it adds character. Many do clean by taking the pack apart and washing the materials and straps in mild detergent in the bathtub. I also know many who take it to a self serve car wash and just hose it out real well. I don't think it matters much in the long run. It will become personal preference.

cmeier117

WKR
Big tub... use some wool light or a product from Mcnett. I can't remember the name but it is a synthetic fabric cleaner.

littlebuf

Banned
the most i ever do is hose some of the blood off and hang it from a tree in the yard.i dont worry about detergents or soap and frankly wouldnt want them in my hunting pack any way. really only hose it out to get rid of the chunks,i like the blood stains

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Strip it down and hand wash in the tub with Sport wash, or Tech wash in cold water. Sometimes I leave it soaking overnight if trying to remove blood.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We dont usually wash packs, except to rinse them out with the garden hose if they get saturated with blood or really muddy. I did machine wash the pack bag of Luke's Barney's pack last season, as the lanolin from his sheep smelled so terrible we couldn't even stand to have it in the garage. I took the pack bag off the frame, and put it into a mesh laundry bag (super cheap at Walmart or anywhere, we use these mesh bags for all kinds of stuff! Almost weightless, and very handy), the ran it thru the washer with a little laundry soap on delicate with the double rinse setting. I then washed it a second time on the same setting without soap. We line dried it, and it was as good as new!

Gman

WKR
Careful with detergent on the pack. I don't think it will do any damage but it will soak into the webbing and make it all stiff. Just ask Aron. He has first hand knowledge on that one.

slim9300

WKR
Careful with detergent on the pack. I don't think it will do any damage but it will soak into the webbing and make it all stiff. Just ask Aron. He has first hand knowledge on that one.

I hand wash mine in my 165 quart cooler with cold water and scent free tide. (I guess the bathtub would probably be easier but one day I needed to clean my cooler and figured I would kill two birds with one stone) ;) I normally let the pack soak in the soap and water for about an hour before I do any washing. Then I hang dry the pack outside until it's only damp and finish the drying inside my laundry room with the fan running. It works great. The webbing does get a little stiff but it softens up quickly with some use.

Last edited:
OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just worried after all this training that it's gonna get up and walk away by itself. Thinking the garden hose or just letting a nice rain purify it. I don't want to end up with a pack that matches my hat that white salt line look.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I only wash it after the end of season. I didn't ONE TIME at the end of season. Sold the pack to my bro and he busted it out 8 months later and all was good until it rained and the pack got wet while he was out....He like me hear about it. Something about 10 month old goat blood saturating the pack wasn't a favorable smell when the pack rehydrated. :D