Classifieds question

jmillr1

WKR
So recently (yesterday) I replied to a post and stated I'd purchase an item. I sent a DM and asked for said user's Paypal info so I could get them paid. Crickets... I woke up the next morning to a text message on my phone from a person saying they were contacting me about the items I said I'd pay for. I had no idea who this person knew my email/phonenumber, but they contacted me using a gmail account. I asked for them to contact me via rokslide so I could confirm who they were, but again they went radio silent. I just thought it was wierd and a little eerie how they could text me through my phone without knowing what my email/phone number were unless I'm missing something about how Rokslide works. Any thoughts?

CorbLand

WKR
That is interesting.

I would make sure you haven’t posted your number before. I searched your name looking for “text”, “call” and “phone” but nothing came up with your actual phone.

Did you give it to someone for another deal that they backed out of or went radio silent?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you possibly post your number or email publicly anywhere with the same screen name?

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Is it a coincidence that you said you would buy something then got a scam message by chance the next day? Did they list the items you said you would buy?

I get those similar messages all the time.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
That is interesting.

I would make sure you haven’t posted you number before. I searched your name looking for “text”, “call” and “phone” but nothing came up with your actual phone.

Did you give it to someone for another deal that they backed out of or went radio silent?
Nope never.
Did you possibly post your number or email publicly anywhere with the same screen name?
Nope still never.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Is it a coincidence that you said you would buy something then got a scam message by chance the next day? Did they list the items you said you would buy?

I get those similar messages all the time.
I've bought and sold a decent amount of stuff on the forums, but i've never received any messages directly to my iphone via a text message from an email address.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I've bought and sold a decent amount of stuff on the forums, but i've never received any messages directly to my iphone via a text message from an email address.
Right, but did they say “hey I’m contacting you about paying for the items from the Rokslide classifieds?”

Or was it just a generic scammy looking message?

I get the generic scam messages from email addresses all the time. What I’m saying is, unless they made a direct reference to the items themselves or Rokslide, it’s probably just a coincidence.

philos

Super Southern Moderator
Staff member
Please send a moderator a PM with as much detail as possible and we will look into it. Probably 70% of what I do as a moderator is banning scammers doing things like this.

philos

Super Southern Moderator
Staff member
To give you an idea of how this stuff happens - within two minutes of me replying to your post I banned a guy with a Nigerian IP address. Literally within two minutes of me posting a reply. I believe I caught him before he had a chance to dig in and try to scam someone, but I’m sure he was preparing to do so

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Very very interesting.

If you figure it out, PM me. I am very curious to how they got your phone number.
The thing is i know folks can text iphones using email addresses, but never had a random person do it before.

IDVortex

WKR
To give you an idea of how this stuff happens - within two minutes of me replying to your post I banned a guy with a Nigerian IP address. Literally within two minutes of me posting a reply. I believe I caught him before he had a chance to dig in and try to scam someone, but I’m sure he was preparing to do so
Strong assumption of him scamming someone. He could've been asking about a .338 being big enough to hunt antelope in WY when he comes next year to hunt them.....