Christensen Arms Mesa opinions

OP
J

Jhy

FNG
I have a Mesa and a stainless T3x in my safe now. I really like both of them and both shoot sub 3/4” for five shots with factory ammo. I have no plans to sell either but do I think the Mesa I own and love was worth the extra money compared to my Tikka? Nope. Sure don’t. No plans to sell my Mesa but if I could do it over, personally I’d just buy another Tikka. The “upgrades” on the Mesa just aren’t really a game changer IMO.
And for a lefty, 650 bucks….

OP
J

Jhy

FNG
Welp, I took a ride to sportsmans WH to put my hands on a CA to put it to rest. I figured I’d be ehhh, and press on looking for the LH unicorn Tikka 30 cal. I was very impressed with fit, finish, action and feel of the stock side by side with a Tikka. Not what I expected. I pulled trigger on a Mesa 308 in Tungsten finish Lefty on Gunbroker for same price as retail. Either it shoots or it doesn’t- so I may leave my Tikka .06 order ride just in case. Appreciate the input and no offense meant to the Tikka nation here, I agree they are best value out there even with prices rising for them.

Welp, I took a ride to sportsmans WH to put my hands on a CA to put it to rest. I figured I’d be ehhh, and press on looking for the LH unicorn Tikka 30 cal. I was very impressed with fit, finish, action and feel of the stock side by side with a Tikka. Not what I expected. I pulled trigger on a Mesa 308 in Tungsten finish Lefty on Gunbroker for same price as retail. Either it shoots or it doesn’t- so I may leave my Tikka .06 order ride just in case. Appreciate the input and no offense meant to the Tikka nation here, I agree they are best value out there even with prices rising for them.

In my previous post, I wasn’t trying to be biased, but the CA just feels like a better rifle. At least to me. It may not have the engineering innovation compared to Tikka, but I think its a nicer rifle. Just like a 1911 may be old tech vs a Glock, but.....

OP
J

Jhy

FNG
In my previous post, I wasn’t trying to be biased, but the CA just feels like a better rifle. At least to me. It may not have the engineering innovation compared to Tikka, but I think its a nicer rifle. Just like a 1911 may be old tech vs a Glock, but.....
No bias implied- I was looking for no BS opinions from people with experience with both as I have limited experience behind a Tikka and zero with a CA. I like your analogy- carrying a Glock for 30 years I get it. They just work…..

Edsteel

FNG
Im also a lefty looking for a rifle in 308 or 6.5CM for a hunt that is coming up. I have a backorder in for the Tikka but need to get it within 2 months. I am thinking of getting the Mesa in Tungsten finish since it's available. Is the Mesa a Stainless steel barrel with just a Cerakote Tungsten finish? It would be more durable than the Tikka barrel from rust ( trying to find some upgrade benefits for the price).

Im also a lefty looking for a rifle in 308 or 6.5CM for a hunt that is coming up. I have a backorder in for the Tikka but need to get it within 2 months. I am thinking of getting the Mesa in Tungsten finish since it's available. Is the Mesa a Stainless steel barrel with just a Cerakote Tungsten finish? It would be more durable than the Tikka barrel from rust ( trying to find some upgrade benefits for the price).
The tungsten mesas have a stainless barrel and action with a cerakote finish, yep. Mine does anyway

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm about as big a Tikka fan as the next guy. Most of my rifles are Tikkas. With that said, I still recommend the CA Mesa depending on a person's needs.

I don't own this rifle anymore but my opinions of them haven't changed since this review. Christensen Arms Mesa Review

My only current Christensen rifle is my MPR in 338 Lapua Improved (custom chamber). I haven't shot it as much as I would like but it's an awesome rifle.

OP
J

Jhy

FNG
SS barrel with cerakote finish. That’s what I bought, 308 in tungsten,fit and finish is beautiful. To my eyes and hands, much nicer than the tikka. In those departments. Don’t like the tikka stocks, love the CA stock. That’s where it ended for me however. After following their break in procedures, checking torque on everything, I sent the Mesa back to CA. 2” groups with several flavors of good ammo doesn’t cut it, especially for the price of a lefty. If you get a shooter, I do think it’s worth the additional cost. Right now, I’m annoyed to say the least. I read the mixed reviews and rolled the dice on eye candy….

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
SS barrel with cerakote finish. That’s what I bought, 308 in tungsten,fit and finish is beautiful. To my eyes and hands, much nicer than the tikka. In those departments. Don’t like the tikka stocks, love the CA stock. That’s where it ended for me however. After following their break in procedures, checking torque on everything, I sent the Mesa back to CA. 2” groups with several flavors of good ammo doesn’t cut it, especially for the price of a lefty. If you get a shooter, I do think it’s worth the additional cost. Right now, I’m annoyed to say the least. I read the mixed reviews and rolled the dice on eye candy….
That sucks. Hopefully, they take care of you and make it right.

I am working up a load for my buddies CA Mesa in 7mm mag. It is a very accurate rifle and feels great in the hands. It has been a PIA to load for…min spec chamber full of burrs, very little freebore limiting use of longer bullets, ejector springs are way too strong (ejector marks even on factory brass), and it’s denting the case mouth on every shell ejected. Called CA and they basically said do not reload our rifles…the final load is very accurate but about 200 fps slower than expected.

For shooting factory ammo it seems like a good choice, but it doesn’t shoot any better than the tikkas I own or have loaded for. Would not be my first choice.

Edsteel

FNG
Still sounds a bit hit or miss. I wish the Tikka would just get in stock lol. I guess I can give it another month.

axeforce6

WKR
I’ve used their warranty from my own faults. They have been great. All of mine have been shooters. They’ll make it right.

Edsteel

FNG
I wish you were right handed. I have a NIB Superlite that I bought on impulse that I haven’t even fired yet.
Me too! Lol. Being a lefty has been a good thing for other sports as I can get deals on lefty items such as golf clubs. Not so much for this hobby.

Edsteel

FNG
I’ve used their warranty from my own faults. They have been great. All of mine have been shooters. They’ll make it right.
Definitely still on the fence. Might pull the trigger on a left I found for $1299. Most places have it for $1500+

axeforce6

WKR
Definitely still on the fence. Might pull the trigger on a left I found for $1299. Most places have it for $1500+
Your crazy if you don’t. The aftermarket support for them is amazing. You can build a semi custom later on if you want. Or have a very fine factory rifle.

Edsteel

FNG
Your crazy if you don’t. The aftermarket support for them is amazing. You can build a semi custom later on if you want. Or have a very fine factory rifle.
I guess its just the cheaper/guaranteed shooter in the Tikka T3X is holding me back on that deal. I've been on the waiting list for going on 2 months now so I'm losing patience. It' $400 cheaper ($899) if it ever comes in.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I guess its just the cheaper/guaranteed shooter the Tikka T3X is that is holding me back on that deal. I've been on the waiting list for going on 2 months now so I'm losing patience. It' $400 cheaper ($899) if it ever comes in.
What caliber and model are you looking for?

Even if they shot equal, I’d still take the tikka over another Mesa, even at the same price. I was not impressed with the action on the Mesa, and mine had problems.