Chopped/Suppressed Tikka Ember 6.5 Creedmoor w/ 147 ELDMs

I scoured the webs and didn't see anyone sharing this combo - figured someone might find it useful.

I picked up a Tikka T3X Rough Tech Ember in 6.5 Creedmoor last year, and my son used it to take an Oryx. I didn't have time for load development so I was shooting factory Hornady ELD Match 147 gr ammo. I was getting 2653 fps average velocity (suppressed), though it probably wasn't fully broken in.

At 24.3" of barrel plus my Banish 30 Gold suppressor, it was just too long. Went ahead and chopped it to 18" with a 1/2x28 adapter, well into the flutes. No problemo.

Ember2.jpg

I swapped out a Limbsaver recoil pad, vertical grip, Maven RS 1.2, KalixTeknik CR1 cheek rest and Mountain Tactical full length Arca rail. I think I'm going to ditch the Arca rail though - really sucks to carry.

I first used Midway 140gr Blems to fire-form 200 Lapua SRP brass, then moved onto the first step of load development with a ladder test:

1717216169048.png

I'm using CCI 450 Magnum SRP, with the bullets seated ~40 thou off the lands at 2.900 COAL, which should work well with the Tikka M+ mags.

Powder was H4350. Used SAC expander mandrels to set neck tension to 1.5 thou (after using a .289 bushing die).

My hope was 2700 fps, but this will do. I'm just above the factory ammo velocity without the 6" of barrel I chopped off. Should maintain 1800fps well past 700 yards.

Slight ejector marks at 42.8 and 43 grains, so I loaded up 10 at 43 grains to see how they'll group.

Oh, and I finally tested out my new Banish Backcountry. I didn't test much side by side with my Banish 30 Gold, but didn't see significant difference in velocity. However, it's noticeably louder and has much more recoil. Will be fine for hunting, but practice and load development will probably go back to the Banish 30 Gold...

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
I have this exact rifle, shooting similar combo its lights out. Nice shooting. It is Hard for me to reach for anything else in the safe.

One other thing to keep in mind, when wanting to use the fast and dirty yardage (says 530 yards) minus 2 = dial in mils (in this case it would be 2.3 mils) you will want that high BC bullet in the low 2600s

I have the same setup (different 8.5” long can) and I’ve been considering doing this as well but it just shoots so good at 24” barrel I don’t know that I want to cut it and run the risk of it being picky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Superlite 6.5 creed barrel on the way from the classifieds and I think I'm going to send it straight to LRI to have chopped/threaded right in front of the flutes at 21". Original plan was to shoot the 147s but was a little concerned on velocity....no longer concerned.

Planning to swap this barrel with my 270, and don't think this combo will leave me wanting for much if I can work up a load like that!