Choosing where to live in Colorado

You will live in Kremmling like the rest of us or you have to commute from Fairplay/Alma/Leadville.

Everything about Summit "proper" really sucks imo. You pay a premium over living in the Denver metro, yet you deal with crowds 24/7/365. Trailheads are always packed, grocery store is swamped, only a small portion of people are even local. Complete lack of community with every other house being a short term rental or second homeowner.
How do you like Kremmeling? I have been considering there or Montrose to get away from crowds plus housing cost. Long drives for groceries and the like or is there enough in town?

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. Its close to world class skiing, backpacking, fishing, and snowmobiling. Hunting is meh (now with wolves!). Though bear in mind, this is one of the coldest areas in CO you can live in, winter is November through May with temps diving to an occasional -40 F without windchill. Expect to wake up in the heart of winter with sub zero temps every morning that won't go about freezing for days on end.

You either grocery shop in Granby or Dillion. Town just has a little bar, brewery, coffee place, and a couple restaurants. The hardware store is pretty decent which is nice. You still need to make trips down to Denver for odds and ends sometimes.

Most people live outside of town limits either in Spring Creek, Old Park, or off Highway 40. Town itself is kind of dumpy in spots. Housing is also not cheap here by any means and is demanding mountain prices.

Main industries are ranching, mining, tourism, government.

Even though its a small town, you have to deal with the Steamboat traffic coming up 9 or off 40. Floating and white water rafting are big here off Trough Road. You also will not be alone during the hunting season.

Last edited:

Jn78

WKR
Do you currently work in the Springs? What’s your schedule? If you only do one commune a week, why not live somewhere an hour or two away? Lots of options. Castle Rock, Elizabeth, Bailey, Buena Vista, and everything in between. We are in Douglas County - schools are great, everything is convenient, conservative relative to the rest of the state, and it is still safe.

TaperPin

WKR
I spent a week there every year for a decade - some friends and high school classmates still live there. There’s no way I would think of it as similar to anything on the front grange, so it makes sense to spend time there in the heat of the summer to see if hot, dry and a lack of green is for you.

Economically, looking at the average family income will not be the only thing to look at, but it will confirm what you see while there.

At least back in the 1990’s, about 20 actual hookers used to have a girls night out at one of the bars in the middle of the week - it seemed like a very large number for a town that size. Maybe they were there for an event, but that has always stuck out as weird.

I don’t care for towns with oil field trash after having seen first hand how it impacts a community - I don’t know what’s going on with oil shale now, but there are currently 23 oil field jobs advertised.

Talking with a local paramedic or FF would be a great first step about where the problem areas are.

squirrel

WKR
I like it. Its close to world class skiing, backpacking, fishing, and snowmobiling. Hunting is meh (now with wolves!). Though bear in mind, this is one of the coldest areas in CO you can live in, winter is November through May with temps diving to an occasional -40 F without windchill. Expect to wake up in the heart of winter with sub zero temps every morning that won't go about freezing for days on end.

You either grocery shop in Granby or Dillion. Town just has a little bar, brewery, coffee place, and a couple restaurants. The hardware store is pretty decent which is nice. You still need to make trips down to Denver for odds and ends sometimes.

Most people live outside of town limits either in Spring Creek, Old Park, or off Highway 40. Town itself is kind of dumpy in spots. Housing is also not cheap here by any means and is demanding mountain prices.

Main industries are ranching, mining, tourism, government.

Even though its a small town, you have to deal with the Steamboat traffic coming up 9 or off 40. Floating and white water rafting are big here off Trough Road. You also will not be alone during the hunting season.
Dont forget the skeeters... Cant forget them! But I'm still coming to grips with calling GJ a "small town". Funny how people see things, friends just left who are shopping for a house in Fort Collins, cause they want to live in a "small town".

Blackbird

FNG
I live in SW Colorado and commute to NM for my fire job. It’s an option if you are interested in this area of the state.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Dont forget the skeeters... Cant forget them! But I'm still coming to grips with calling GJ a "small town". Funny how people see things, friends just left who are shopping for a house in Fort Collins, cause they want to live in a "small town".
Haha...two seasons... arctic and skeeter.

mtntppr

FNG
Do you currently work in the Springs? What’s your schedule? If you only do one commune a week, why not live somewhere an hour or two away? Lots of options. Castle Rock, Elizabeth, Bailey, Buena Vista, and everything in between. We are in Douglas County - schools are great, everything is convenient, conservative relative to the rest of the state, and it is still safe.

We are in one of if not the last little pockets of resistance along the entire front range, I feel like.

I like CO. Honestly, the only things I miss (transplant from back east) is the ocean, though I have grown to prefer the mountains because there are typically fewer people (and we do have some gold medal trout waters), and the food. Pulled pork, fried catfish, all the sides, cheerwine, sun drop, etc. I've learned, when you relocate, especially if it's a long distance, sometime it's the little things you don't even really think about that you end up noticing more. And that's not to say CO doesn't have good food, they certainly do. Green chili, and I really like Elk.

Douglas Co. is nice, it's pretty quiet, however, like a lot of places, it's getting expensive. But there are good people here.

ETA: There's good fishing in the SW corner of Douglas Co. on the South Platte, but it gets pretty crowded.

Last edited:

Oldrifle

FNG
If this part of the state piques your curiosity, it is an alternative. The most sought-after neighborhoods in Colorado have the drawback of having salaries that are out of line.