Choosing New Broadheads

OP
Sbarrera185
Thanks for all the replies I’ve read through all of them and it looks like I left out some information. Setup and what I’m hunting and it looks like it will make a difference.

Set up:

Bowtech Amplify 29.5” draw @ 60lbs

Arrows Gold Tip Hunter 340 28” shaft

Hunting western big game this year specifically
Antelope possible Deer. Eventually Elk, just not this year. I burned up 4 points on a rifle Elk tag and that unit is not an OTC unit for archery.

I stopped by the Archery shop where I got my bow and set up. After about an hour conversation with the owner I’ve narrowed it down to 2 broadhead choices. They both run about $50ish bucks so not breaking the bank, here is where the fight will commence lol.

QAD Exodus 100g fixed blade
Innerloc EXP 100g mechanical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies I’ve read through all of them and it looks like I left out some information. Setup and what I’m hunting and it looks like it will make a difference.

Set up:

Bowtech Amplify 29.5” draw @ 60lbs

Arrows Gold Tip Hunter 340 28” shaft

Hunting western big game this year specifically
Antelope possible Deer. Eventually Elk, just not this year. I burned up 4 points on a rifle Elk tag and that unit is not an OTC unit for archery.

I stopped by the Archery shop where I got my bow and set up. After about an hour conversation with the owner I’ve narrowed it down to 2 broadhead choices. They both run about $50ish bucks so not breaking the bank, here is where the fight will commence lol.

QAD Exodus 100g fixed blade
Innerloc EXP 100g mechanical

Nice work and congrats! Shoot them both at the ranges you expect to hunt, with antelope you may need to stretch it out a bit, and keep the one that gives the best results.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
The original Slik Trick has been a great option for my wife and I. Sharp as all get out and heavy duty blades. And group very good as well. Maybe not exactly like field points. But close.

The original Slik Trick has been a great option for my wife and I. Sharp as all get out and heavy duty blades. And group very good as well. Maybe not exactly like field points. But close.
The Slick Trick Viper Trick 4 blades shoot 1:1 with my field points. Only fixed head that has ever done that.

tdoublev

FNG
Dudley has posted a lot of good food for thought on this the last few weeks. For antelope and deer, either type of head will get the job done. I’d consider what range you expect to be shooting at and what conditions. Long range, arrow velocity is going to dump at 60 yards so a fixed blade will favor you. But in a windy environment, that fixed blade is going to drift a lot more. In all situations, the more accurate arrow will be more deadly. I’ll be carrying a QAD exodus in my quiver AND grim reaper carnifour in my quiver this year to allow me the best of both worlds and decide in the field. If it’s long range and windy, going mechanical. If it’s long range but calm, going fixed blade. I will likely apply the same logic to everything shorter, unless it’s super close then carnifour because I’m not worried about KE as much

OP
Sbarrera185
Went and shot the QAD Exodus, this was my go to choice, but after shooting it arrows kept landing low. I still want to shoot the Exodus but having been a week out I didn’t want to try and figure out why the arrows were landing low with the broadhead but on target with field tips. After the season is done I will revisit the issue and have more time to prepare and troubleshoot the issue. As for this season I went with the Grim Reaper mechanical blades and going to try and get a pronghorn and whitetail with them.

tdoublev

FNG
Went and shot the QAD Exodus, this was my go to choice, but after shooting it arrows kept landing low. I still want to shoot the Exodus but having been a week out I didn’t want to try and figure out why the arrows were landing low with the broadhead but on target with field tips. After the season is done I will revisit the issue and have more time to prepare and troubleshoot the issue. As for this season I went with the Grim Reaper mechanical blades and going to try and get a pronghorn and whitetail with them.

The fixed blades will generate more drag than the mechanical. If you had mechanicals grouping with field points, it would not be unexpected for a fixed blade to land lower because it’s losing speed more quickly (at longer ranges). If you switched up your field point to one that is a larger shape (some have almost a round ball at the point) you’d probably see them group closer together - but your sight tape might need adjusting

Felix40

WKR
Animals can on do react or move during arrow flight and the only thing that kills animals is your broadhead. Quality of the steel and edge retention are extremely important during penetration along with perfect arrow flight. The Ranch Fairy and the Hunting Public guys are great sources of ongoing broadhead flight and lethality studies. Good luck
They never shoot past 30 yards. I just can’t take any of their recommendations seriously for that reason.