Choosing a day pack vs a multi-day pack?

Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on packs. Currently looking to get a a new hunting back pack and I’m trying to decide between a big day pack or a multi day pack. I’m out here in California where 90% of my hunting trips are day trips, mainly for deer and pigs. A MR pop up 38 would be perfect and would allow me to do an overnight trip. In the next couple years I’m looking at doing a few long weekend trips, maybe 2 nights/ 3 days and an out of state hunt. Maybe a pintler, sawtooth 45, or a metcalf would be better. What would you consider or reconsider for choosing between the types of backs? Unfortunately there isn’t store around me where I can try these packs. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

I have a KUIU Icon Pro 6000. Have used as a day pack for years. Everything just compresses. That said I just picked up a Venture divide 2000 to use as a computer pack for work and have used it hiking and for a TAC event. Since we are hunting deer this year and not elk, I am considering using for that hunt instead. If you can only afford or only want one pack, I'd go bigger and gives you the opportunity to pack meat when you get the first one down. Plus like you said, it'll get you multi day backcountry trips. Can't talk packs much other than mine, but my son is kind of in the same boat as you. I told him bigger is always (almost) better.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Hello everyone,

Looking for some advice on packs. Currently looking to get a a new hunting back pack and I’m trying to decide between a big day pack or a multi day pack. I’m out here in California where 90% of my hunting trips are day trips, mainly for deer and pigs. A MR pop up 38 would be perfect and would allow me to do an overnight trip. In the next couple years I’m looking at doing a few long weekend trips, maybe 2 nights/ 3 days and an out of state hunt. Maybe a pintler, sawtooth 45, or a metcalf would be better. What would you consider or reconsider for choosing between the types of backs? Unfortunately there isn’t store around me where I can try these packs. Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
I would get a frame from EXO, Kifaru, or SG and then you can use a lightweight minimal small cubic in bag for day trips then have the option of getting a bigger bag for over nights that is compatible with the frame. Also can use the frame from training. Now is the perfect time to buy an EXO K3 used on here

Kurts86

WKR
The advantage to the popup series to me is the lower frame height makes getting through thick cover a lot easier than a full frame height pack. It’s also a fair bit cheaper entry point to load cell equipped hunting bags.

I don’t particularly like the larger popup 38/40 series because I think the whole design makes more sense in the 28/30 or really the discontinued 18L series. The pop up series is heavier for its capacity and it has a hard weight limit when it stops carrying weight well. Otherwise it’s a great day pack.

Personally, I’d wait for a sale on KUIU packs, which happens pretty often. Bet the next one will be Memorial Day.

Get a PRO LT 4000 or 3600. Both can be compressed very well for day hunts and both can be serviceable for overnight trips if you pack wisely.

The KUIU system is fairly low profile compared to other full size frames. The way the frame is designed with the load lifter connection rising out of each side with no support in the middle allows for full head movement (I.e. you can look up without your head hitting the bag or frame). It also Carrie’s weight better than my K2/K3 hybrid, at least for me.

I bought a MR Popup 28 in their camo pattern.
My immediate impression was the fabric was loud....Had a hard surface that just seemed would buzz against every twig.
I returned it without using it.
Nice layout and features.
Maybe the non-camo is a different fabric?

I have been using a Badlands Superday for years.
It works well as a daypack and did handle cow elk quarters (inside the main compartment) but not ideal for a meat hauler.

Exo k4 3600 is a really good option, lidless for day hunts, cinches down to nothing, and very comfortable. So far it’s seeming like the perfect hunting pack… if on a budget, a used k2 3500 is a great bang for your buck

OP
N
I have a KUIU Icon Pro 6000. Have used as a day pack for years. Everything just compresses. That said I just picked up a Venture divide 2000 to use as a computer pack for work and have used it hiking and for a TAC event. Since we are hunting deer this year and not elk, I am considering using for that hunt instead. If you can only afford or only want one pack, I'd go bigger and gives you the opportunity to pack meat when you get the first one down. Plus like you said, it'll get you multi day backcountry trips. Can't talk packs much other than mine, but my son is kind of in the same boat as you. I told him bigger is always (almost) better.
Thanks for advice! Have you ever had any issues with the Kuiu packs for hauling meat?

OP
N
Personally, I’d wait for a sale on KUIU packs, which happens pretty often. Bet the next one will be Memorial Day.

Get a PRO LT 4000 or 3600. Both can be compressed very well for day hunts and both can be serviceable for overnight trips if you pack wisely.

The KUIU system is fairly low profile compared to other full size frames. The way the frame is designed with the load lifter connection rising out of each side with no support in the middle allows for full head movement (I.e. you can look up without your head hitting the bag or frame). It also Carrie’s weight better than my K2/K3 hybrid, at least for me.
Thanks for the input! Was it the Kuiu frame that made it a better for you for hauling meat? Or was there something else that made it handle the weight better?

Thanks for the input! Was it the Kuiu frame that made it a better for you for hauling meat? Or was there something else that made it handle the weight better?
It’s hard to say exactly. Sometimes packs just fit people differently like boots. It also carried weight better than the Kifaru Duplex Lite I tried.

The main things that come to mind are a more grippy and adjustable lumbar pad on the KUIU. The Exo lumbar is also flat on the bottom, while the KUIU curves away from your body. These things combined seem to keep the bottom of the frame from pressing against my tailbone area with very heavy loads or while jogging. …it’s hard to explain.

The differences only really show up at 50+ pounds.

87TT

WKR
I had the Kuiu Ultra 6000. I didn't care for the way it carried weight. Over 40 ls it kind of moved around too much. Night and day to my Exo K2. Now have a K3 belt on it. The K4 looks even better. If I had more years left, I would upgrade to the K4 but after carrying out 3 elk solo, I'm good with the K2.

Im not a fan of the pop up mystery ranch bags. Too heavy for what they are, I'd much rather have a metcalf as a day pack/2-5 day hunt pack if sticking with mystery ranch. I ran a metcalf and a marshall for 2 seasons. Packed out many rear quarters with the metcalf guide lite pack. Was always happy with it but it did tend to slide down a little when over 75lbs.

Recently switched to Kuiu PRO LT 4000 and a PRO LT5500. The kuiu packs are WAY lighter and I enjoyed running either pack as a day pack and also enjoyed the 5500 as a 3+ day pack on a late season CO elk hunt at over 10k feet. Packed put two bulls this year with the pro lt5500. I actually prefered the kuiu over the mystery ranch. I felt the pack wouldn't slide down even when the pack was 80-90lbs+/- (full camp in the pack plus bone in rear quarter). Only "complaint" was the kuiu waist belt was a little small for me even though I got the largest size. 5'11" with 38" pant waist.

Just ordered the Exo k4 5000 to give that a try as well.

Ive had 60+ lbs in it and it was ok. They aren't well renowned for heavy weight but I don't have any experience with the others. I was at a TAC event this weekend and spent quite a bit of time in the Kifaru booth. I had not handled them before, but they make a nice pack/frame. I'd really have to consider one if I were buying right now.

It really is a preference thing IMO.

Get something modular. I love my Oregon Pack Works pack. I can strip it down to a lumbar pack with water pouch or add bags up top to add capacity, and it has a meat hauler flap. They also sell a full size bag to make it big enough for longer hunts.

OP
N
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately none of the local shops carry that many packs so testing out packs isn’t really an options for me. Any one notice better performance in certain packs with their back issues?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately none of the local shops carry that many packs so testing out packs isn’t really an options for me. Any one notice better performance in certain packs with their back issues?
I tried a Eberlestock X2 and really liked it, except that I couldn't get it to carry well. I have lower back issues and no matter how I adjusted it I could not get comfortable.

My Oregon Pack Works Orion carries beautifully. It isn't a full frame, but has aluminum stays.
Unfortunately it is a small, USA based company and covid caused issues with supply chain and labor for them, plus they do Military contract work which sometimes takes priority.

KingGus

WKR
I tried a Eberlestock X2 and really liked it, except that I couldn't get it to carry well. I have lower back issues and no matter how I adjusted it I could not get comfortable.

My Oregon Pack Works Orion carries beautifully. It isn't a full frame, but has aluminum stays.
Unfortunately it is a small, USA based company and covid caused issues with supply chain and labor for them, plus they do Military contract work which sometimes takes priority.
I have an Oregon pack works bino bro and love it, it's the lightest bino harness I could find