Choices choices

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it's that time.of year again haha. I'm currently trying to decide on an arrow for my setup. I'm shooting easton game getter aluminum 2317 (300) but want to go to carbons. Im lookong to be in the high 600s for weight.

My hunting rig for the year is going to be a bear green stripe B handle with a set of Brandon Stahl limbs 49# at 28. I draw 30.75" so I'm in that 60 to 62lb range. I want to stack at least 300g up front.

What would you do to achieve this? Ethics insert outserts?

Dennis

WKR
Yes the Ethics system would do that. I run 200 grain broadheads and then use Ethics system to adjust FOC and total weight for perfect flight.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I used ethics the last time I ran carbons. Im having trouble finding an arrow with enough gpi to get me in the mid to high 600's. 620g puts me at roughly 10gpp. I'd like to be 11 or 12 grains per lb

CX heritage 250’s with 100 grain insert and a 150 head is a hat I shot out of my 60 pounders. That put me at 640 grains total with cresting

I know it’s not 300 up front but that might be an example to get you close to what your looking for. May have to use heritage 350’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
CX heritage 250’s with 100 grain insert and a 150 head is a hat I shot out of my 60 pounders. That put me at 640 grains total with cresting

I know it’s not 300 up front but that might be an example to get you close to what your looking for. May have to use heritage 350’s

60lbs at your draw? I just checked the heritage only comes in a 350 spine, I'll be underspined with a 31 inch arrow. But I did just find these

Yes I draw my 58-60 lb bows to 28.5. Putting me at 60-62 lbs. I overlooked you needing a almost full length shaft. That will be underpinned for you

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Now I'm wondering if I just say screw it and drop another spine to 250, then pile more upfront. Mid 700s puts me in the 12 grains per lb range and I'm ok with that. I don't take shots over 25 yards anyway, heck I'm usually under 15.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Dang, 800g……are you going cape or water buff hunting?

I can’t help with your setup. I’m going the other way….my 46#/553g never met an animal it couldn’t blow through.
i had 3 arrows that tuned in my current 52# recurve; 499g, 391 And now the Accmos 350’s at 435g.

I’m going with those 435g…..the lightest arrow I’ve shot in a decade in any bow Dang they shoot good.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad that works for you. I can't legally shoot a bow that light here because of how the law is written. It has to be 40lbs at 28 in regardless of your draw length. plus I'm a strapping young man of only 42 years 🤣 pulling 60 plus lbs ain't no thang but a chicken wing lol. A 500g arrow would waste a lot of energy and create quite a ruckus lmao.

If we could stay on topic that would be fantastic.

And who knows. Maybe one year I'll get my bison draw and be ready.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I have a 30.5- 30.75” DL depending on the riser.
The challenge we have is getting Arrows at 31”-32” or more stiff enough When adding that much point weight.

I was shooting my 52# with easton 300’s At 31 3/8”. Those would be weak in my bow with 300g up front. I have never looked for or tried 260’s in a trad bow…so I don’t know.

Another option to hit that 800g weight would be to use the heavy arrow tubes from 3 Rivers. I used those to get an 840g arrow that blew through an Aussie Water buff with my compound…worked great. You have to glue those in or they will literally blow out your Noks and inserts they have so much momentum.

tater

WKR
Not sure if someone will still have a stash, but see if you can find any Carbon Tech Safari or Rhino shafts. Doesn't look like CT makes them any more, but you may get lucky.
They are 15.5-16gpp (75/95) and 33" long.
I had an 80# Harrison HSS that loved those shafts with 300gr. VPA's on them.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30.5- 30.75” DL depending on the riser.
The challenge we have is getting Arrows at 31”-32” or more stiff enough When adding that much point weight.

I was shooting my 52# with easton 300’s At 31 3/8”. Those would be weak in my bow with 300g up front. I have never looked for or tried 260’s in a trad bow…so I don’t know.

Another option to hit that 800g weight would be to use the heavy arrow tubes from 3 Rivers. I used those to get an 840g arrow that blew through an Aussie Water buff with my compound…worked great. You have to glue those in or they will literally blow out your Noks and inserts they have so much momentum.

That... is... awesome. haha.

Arrow Total Weight (grains)693.2

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP)11.9

Front of Center (FOC) %24.3

Arrow Speed (ft/sec)170.9

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs)44.9

This is what I came up with. Gets me almost to 12 GPP, that's a bit off as the arrow I'm using is .5gpi more than the one that was modeled after. I settled on the Easton 6.5mm Classic 250 and ethics archery inserts.

Wrench

WKR
Have you considered bumping the shelf out to avoid the unicorn arrow hunt? I run a leather shelf plate because it's quiet.... but I cater the thickness to my tuning needs.

Just a thought if you find a stash of arrows "not quite" stiff enough.

Other options are longer footings up front. I run footers from aluminum shafts because I stump shoot a bunch and it makes arrows last forever.....and I get a spine bump in the process. Tossing a brass collar at the nock will stiffen things up as well.

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered bumping the shelf out to avoid the unicorn arrow hunt? I run a leather shelf plate because it's quiet.... but I cater the thickness to my tuning needs.

Just a thought if you find a stash of arrows "not quite" stiff enough.

Other options are longer footings up front. I run footers from aluminum shafts because I stump shoot a bunch and it makes arrows last forever.....and I get a spine bump in the process. Tossing a brass collar at the nock will stiffen things up as well.
No unicorn hunting my man, not legal in my province lol. Both are good options, I need to build a new set of arrows anyway as the 2317s I'm shooting are down to only 3 in my quiver. I've lost more than I'd like to admit to squirrels who want to chastise me for hours on end for being in their tree.

I will let you know how the build goes. My ethics insets and 250 arrows should both be here shortly