Chevy Equinox

hunterjmj

WKR
Possibly looking into getting a used Chevy Equinox. You guys have experience with these? Common problems, the good, the bad, etc?

TxLite

WKR
Possibly looking into getting a used Chevy Equinox. You guys have experience with these? Common problems, the good, the bad, etc?
Had a 2015. At 110,000 miles the water pump went out. Other than that it was fine besides general GM electrical issues. Also hated the chrome on the interior. Sunlight would hit it and blind the driver.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
My in law has one, its a 4 cylinder. It's weak, zero power. Drives like a granny wagon. Maybe they make a 6?

X2 on the water pump—and it’s a pain to change (3 hour job). Heat/AC actuators go out often. The door wiring harnesses like to leak and cause the power window/door locks to short.

Elite7

FNG
Wife had a 15 with 130k miles. Never had any issues with it. Traded it recently for a suv with 3 rows.

den57

FNG
We have had 5 of them. My bride loves them. All of them were AWD. 3 of them were V-6, one of them had a MAF issue. One was a 4 cylinder turbo diesel that got super milage. The one she has now is a 2022 4 cylinder turbo. Plenty of power, ride is a little choppy but I think that has to do with type of tires that are on it. The others rode pretty well. I haven't had a chance to check the milage yet, it's her daily driver.

Attachments

• 20220723_153004.jpg
    20220723_153004.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 32
Wife has a 2019 4-cylinder AWD with about 80,000 mi on it and loved it. No issues so far.

My father in law owned a Chevy dealership and said the older models (2012-2018?) we’re having quite a few issues with water pumps and burning through oil. Different engine on the 2019 model.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I've looked at a few around 2015 and 100,000 miles. My wife drives like a grandma so a 4 cyl would be a good fit.

TxLite

WKR
Any Chevy newer than 2015 has been garbage in my experience.
Based on the two I’ve had, this is my experience as well. 2015 Equinox and 2017 Yukon Denali. The Denali was an absolute problem child and nothing was cheap to fix. Traded it off at 87k. Also have had several friends and work vehicles with Yukons, Tahoes, Silverados, and Sierras that have all had continuous major issues as well. Transmissions, AC, water pumps, premature suspension failures. No more GM anything for me moving forward.

Had one, main seal blew at 45,000 miles. The the head gasket at 50,000. That we were in the clear until the timing jumped and I had to rebuild the head at 65,000. Otherwise it wasn't too bad. Oh and the water pump, pcv, and cracked exhaust manifold. Probably won't buy another, they have a pretty bad reputation in the 2.4 litre engine. Just my experience. Good luck vehicle hunting.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
We had a 2010 started to fall apart after 100k my parents had a 2011 it was better but still not good. We both wish we hadn’t bought them. Mail lady has a RAV4 gets lost of abuse on our roads but keeps going. We have a neighbor with a 2010 ish CR-V it has done well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
Check carcomplaints.com They have great info on every vehicle. We had an Equinox for about 6 months. It had a MAF issue which I fixed in about an hour which wasn't a big deal. My wife's job changed and we needed something with better gas mileage so we traded it. Didn't really have it long enough to see if it was reliable. Nothing special, just a vanilla SUV.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Check carcomplaints.com They have great info on every vehicle. We had an Equinox for about 6 months. It had a MAF issue which I fixed in about an hour which wasn't a big deal. My wife's job changed and we needed something with better gas mileage so we traded it. Didn't really have it long enough to see if it was reliable. Nothing special, just a vanilla SUV.
Thanks for the heads up. Great site.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I've watched so many YouTube videos on smaller SUV's I had to stop. Unless you get a 4 runner and a few others they all seem to have issues. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm in no real hurry so I'll keep looking into vehicles. What a pain.
Wonder if she'd like a 1972 Chevy k2500? 🤷‍♂️😆