Chest Rig for bowhunting?

Anyone running a chest rig for their archery set up? Does it get in the way of drawing?

I've recently got into bow hunting and I plan on going for turkey in the spring, and it looks like the FHF chest rig might be a good option. That, and the fact it can replace my old fly fishing rig makes me believe it could be a good set up.

Have any of y'all tried this with any success?

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I had similar concerns prior to purchasing a Marsupial gear bino harness. Due to string angle there isn't any interference the harness. I really like using a harness now that I have one and don't see a reason to ditch it in the future.

ecw

FNG
I’ve used one for a few years now while treestand hunting southern whitetail as well as shooting 3-D and no issues. Planning to expand my rig to add capacity this off season. Those afternoon snacks are easier to pull out when situated so close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any issues. I use Hill People Gear. I have a recon model with the molle and their bino pouch attached. I do have some issues with the bino pouch, it sticks out pretty far. No issues with a slick Kit Bag tho. I have several in different sizes, use them for everything.

I bow hunt in Kentucky and use a marsupial harness. I get made fun of often because I wear one. But I love it. I pack my license, wind indicator, chapstick, and Binos in mine.

I have a marsupial gear bino harness and a hill people gear kit bag, Im able to shoot a bow with either of them with no issues. I really liked the HPG Kit bag for turkey hunting, kept all my calls right where I could access them

I would venture that 75%+ of the western archery hunters on here run a chest rig of some sort. I personally run Marsupial, but there are a lot of good ones out there. Not an issue at all. I did move my rangefinder pouch from one side to the other as it was bumping the trigger on my thumb release slightly. No issues other than that.

Never had an issue with mine but be thoughtful about how you arrange your gear. I would also say that you should practice at least some in your chest rig to make sure you get the “feel” of it before you hunt.

taskswap

WKR
Marsupial also has some "bow hanger hooks" you can add to their harnesses (or any harness with molle webbing on the bottom):

I bought a pair of these but haven't tried them out yet. Just holding them in my hand I'd say they'd do the job but might be a little weird. I could see the bow bouncing around as I walk and possibly coming out of the hooks. YMMV.

KHNC

WKR
FHF customer service is pretty crappy. However, their chest rig is nice. I have used one since 2015. They partnered with Vortex for a while and i have one with Vortex logo on the front. Works perfect as long as you never need anything from FHF in the future.

jpmulk

WKR
The only thing i carry on my chest during archery is my handgun. I hunt pretty thick stuff and consider binos a waste of weight.

Austin915

FNG
I ran a badlands xr pack this past season. While I liked the fit/finish and never had an issue with it hitting my strings I didn’t like having all the bulk on my chest since I one stick and need to get close to the tree when moving up. It’s up for sale if anyone is interested. $120 shipped. I now use the case it comes with and hang it on my “dewclaw” made by innovating the outdoors and have a tether for my Bino and range finder

Venom One

WKR
Marsupial also has some "bow hanger hooks" you can add to their harnesses (or any harness with molle webbing on the bottom):

I bought a pair of these but haven't tried them out yet. Just holding them in my hand I'd say they'd do the job but might be a little weird. I could see the bow bouncing around as I walk and possibly coming out of the hooks. YMMV.

The bow hangers are great for when you want to do some glassing. Just hang your bow and grab the binos. They eliminate the need to find a place to lay your bow down or trying to balance it against your body.

Doubtful you'll be walking any significant distance with it hanging; it's bangs into your legs/body.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the T&K gen2 bino harness the last three years and no issues shooting my bow.

I used the Marsupial fully enclosed last year for archery elk. Small size with 10x42 Vortex bino's. Worked well. It did not affect drawing of the bow or shot (as I thought it would) I continued using it throughout the fall for whitetail in KY and GA. I'll be using it next year.

xcutter

WKR
If you want a more minimalistic harness check ou the Rick Young Harness. I like this one for deer hunting out of a stand or shooting at a range.

Los4212

FNG
I use a kuiu and I've been very happy with it. Never had any issues with the string catching or being thrown. I've also had great interactions with their customer service in the past

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 66" and 64" recurve with a 32" DL and a wheel bow with a 31" DL and the Gunfighters Kenai works well with a G19 and G43; hopefully with have some G20 info soon but I don't think it will be an issue. I backpack hunt so I need a pack with a belt and have not grown to like the pistol on the belt.

I will try the holster and the belt again this year, due to the Kenai not exactly jiving with my bino harness.