Chest rig experiences? FHF vs HPG

wildcat33

WKR
For all you guys running a chest pack can anyone compare the HPG heavy recon kit bag vs the FHF gen 2 chest pack?

I would like to be able to store a small pair of binos (8x32) and a subcompact pistol (e.g. p365, shield, snubby, etc). I dont want to use a razco style dropper holster as I prefer to have fully concealed.

I use the Recon bag from HPG and love it. I bought a smaller one for my Glock 19 on hikes, runs that is just big enough for it. Much less room than the Recon. I also run a bino case on the molle on the front of my Recon so I dont loose any space on the kit. Dont think I have a pic handy but if you want I can get one this evening and post if for ya.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I use the HPG Runners Kit Bag and depending on how tight I stuff it I have fit a P365XL w spare mag, Viper 10x42's, range finder, slim wallet, Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter, ChapStick, and a charging brick. The chest pack is stuffed TIGHT, and the binos are compact as possible on one side and the pistol standing "straight up" on the barrel on the other side.

If I'm scouting/trail running/hiking I generally have a gopro and Garmin InReach also hooked onto the pack.

When I get back into the states I will probably buy the bigger size up so I can keep all my crap in the chest rig more comfortably - but for now I don't need more gear.

I've also run an Eberlestock Bino Pouch with a Gunfighters Kenai chest holster underneath at other times and kept the other junk in my backpack. It really is about sixes how I feel about which rig to run each time I am out.

All that to say I haven't found a quiver killer chest rig - so if someone has I am all ears. 🙃

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I use the Recon bag from HPG and love it. I bought a smaller one for my Glock 19 on hikes, runs that is just big enough for it. Much less room than the Recon. I also run a bino case on the molle on the front of my Recon so I dont loose any space on the kit. Dont think I have a pic handy but if you want I can get one this evening and post if for ya.
Thanks. Yeah a few pics would be really helpful.

FWIW I have the full size SAR kit bag and I can easily fit Maven 8x30s, rangefinder, and a Glock 40. HPG lists the SAR with a depth of 2.5" and the Heavy Recon at 1.5" though. No experience with the FHF.

jpmulk

WKR
These chest rigs look like you have to unzip to reach your gun? Yes? that seems like a slow draw? How are you guys with chest packs doing it?

I like the idea of chest packs, but that ultimately kills them for me every time is the slow draw.

I have both a HPG runners kit bag with their bino pouch similar to def90 above and I have a FHF gear PRO-M bino harness with a razco gear holster.

Unfortunately I can’t comment on the FHF gen2 chest rig.

Overall, I much prefer the razco gear holster and PRO-M harness. Drawing a firearm is much faster vs the fully enclosed kit bag. As long as it’s an open carry friendly state, it’s what I use and wear for hunting.

That said the HPG kit bag still has its place. I have a soft wrap Velcro holster in the kit bag and I can more or less carry any firearm I want to in it. Sometimes all I want is a subcompact 9mm and I don’t need the weight and bull of a full sized Glock 20. Hunting in Ohio, my CCW technically needs to stay concealed while hunting, so the kit bag gets the nod most of the time when I’m local. It also has more pouches for random survival items, and if I’m not hunting and don’t need the binos, it’s great for backpacking/camping.

Bottom line I sorta prefer FHF gear overall. Their products seem to be a bit better though out. That said I still like my HPG kit bag and see no reason to swap it out for an equivalent FHF chest rig.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
That's good feedback thanks. I like the versatility that the FHF appears to offer with the wings and the harness seems a bit more refined as well.

def90

WKR
These chest rigs look like you have to unzip to reach your gun? Yes? that seems like a slow draw? How are you guys with chest packs doing it?

I like the idea of chest packs, but that ultimately kills them for me every time is the slow draw.
No, they have double zippers. You bring both zippers to one corner. You reach up and grab corner of pack with hand and pull down and out. Zippers pull open. There is a video on the HPG page.

Last edited:
I like the hpg recon, pry would go sar if I did it again personally. I don’t hunt with it but do carry it a lot hiking and for pack outs when I ditch other gear. I carry either a Glock 19( or some clone of) or a 45 long colt, spare mag or just rounds(45lc), medical/trama kit, map, phone, lighter, snack, headlamp. Don’t think people would care if gun was exposed hiking but not seeing it and then knowing is ok. Exposed to a transplant hiking with a huskie is a little different. Can’t go wrong with an Fhf have a friend that runs one and it’s slick.

I have the HPG for fly fishing, but I still dangle the pistol below. I agree it'd be a slower draw if the pistol is behind a zipper. Doable but not ideal.

a428d0c522f9056fdc5a48b947c36142.jpg

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a FHF original bino pouch with a rangefinder pouch on the harness. I used it extensively for several years including a trip to Africa and an archery Elk hunt in ID. What I didn't like about it was that it required me to carry my pistol on my hip, which is problematic when fishing in waders or carrying a backpack. To solve the backpack issue, I ran a Wilderness Tactical safe packer on the hip belt of my pack, which works well, but then if I drop my pack, I am also without my pistol.

Last year I switched to an HPG recon kit bag. I attached an HPG bino pouch for my Swaro EL 10x42's, an FHF range finder pouch, and an FHF GPS pouch that carries my Garmin inReach. I have been really pleased with this setup. I usually carry my Glock 20 in the kit bag, but I will switch to my 4" S&W 629 when in brown bear country. Both work fine. My Glock model 40 (long slide 10mm) with RMR on top also fits, but it is a bit tight.

I have carried pistols in various other kit bags pretty extensively. It is a great option when hiking or fishing in national parks or other areas where I don't want to be conspicuously carrying a gun. I can draw from the kit bag very quickly. It is not as fast as a strong side hip holster, but as I mentioned above that doesn't work well when wearing waders or carrying a pack. I also like that the kit bag protects the pistol from the elements. I will usually stash my phone, wallet, keys, and head lamp in it as well. When tree stand hunting, I'll put rounds in it to load my rifle when I get up in the stand.

jpmulk

WKR
No, they have double zippers. You bring both zippers to one corner. You reach up and grab corner of pack with hand and pull down and out. Zippers pull open. There is a video on the HPG page.

Thanks!

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider

It is a bit like drawing from a horizontal shoulder holster in that you need to be careful not to sweep your support side arm. The correct technique is to lift your off side elbow as your strong hand grips the pistol and keep it up while you get the pistol pointed away from you. Then you can drop the elbow and bring your support hand to bear on the pistol. With practice it is no big deal, but you need to be aware of it.

Last edited:

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I use the original kit bag for both back country hunting and fishing. Nice because nothing is flopping around. On a recent hunt it easily held G20 in back pocket, swaro EL 10x42s in middle pocket and extra rounds, kestrel/rangefinder in front pocket. No need for other attachment harnesses. Draw is easy with practice, I just make sure to keep the different pocket zippers on opposite sides. Smaller bag should work just as well, will just accommodate slightly smaller binos, etc. I added the little Zac holster for an added elements of safety and it works flawlessly.