Checking my pack as a checked bag

Really trying to figure out the best way to check my pack as a checked bag. Looking for something to put it in so the airlines don’t totally destroy it. My pack is an exo k4 5000. Any ideas?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
In a big heavy duty dry bag? The cabelas boundary waters dry bags are pretty burly. I imagine they would handle airline abuse and keep your pack all contained.

I have flown several times with my pack. The first time was to Alaska, used the pack as a checked bag. Tightened all the straps and checked it. I got it back and it had been unpacked and checked, then they did a half-ass job repacking it. Basically shoving everything in it.

The next several times that I have flown, I have put my pack into a large roller, with everything else in on top of it in the roller, then I lock it. Take that TSA…..

I thought about using a large duffel bag, but carrying those are awkward, they are even worse when they are full.

So far it has worked out pretty well.

Really trying to figure out the best way to check my pack as a checked bag. Looking for something to put it in so the airlines don’t totally destroy it. My pack is an exo k4 5000. Any ideas?

Shrink wrap, at Walmart. Five bucks ($5).

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I buckle all my buckles, cinch all my straps and slide it in one of these. US Army duffle bag.

1722215815560.png

Shrink wrap is a winner too, I recall seeing tons of backpackers doing this in southeast asian airports.

OP
B
I have flown several times with my pack. The first time was to Alaska, used the pack as a checked bag. Tightened all the straps and checked it. I got it back and it had been unpacked and checked, then they did a half-ass job repacking it. Basically shoving everything in it.

The next several times that I have flown, I have put my pack into a large roller, with everything else in on top of it in the roller, then I lock it. Take that TSA…..

I thought about using a large duffel bag, but carrying those are awkward, they are even worse when they are full.

So far it has worked out pretty well.
Thanks. Figured they would go through it. Really hope everything stays in the bag. I was planning to use a large hard side suitcase or duffle just have to see if the pack frame will fit in there all compressed.

Shrink wrap is a winner too, I recall seeing tons of backpackers doing this in southeast asian airports.

Yep, I fly commercially all the time, every year, to go big game hunting. I always shrink wrap my framepack. Works great. No one has ever cut into it to sift through my junk.

Mod Mort

FNG
I have a Kifaru Gnargali with a Duplex frame and I fly often. I usually fly Delta and have been able to carry on my bag. When I carry on the bag, I completely empty it out (except for some essentials or valuables) and cinch all the straps tight to make the bag as small as possible. Then I check all my soft gear for the hunt in an ultra light duffle bag. If I have to check it, I will pack it in another checked bag with items packed around it, or at the very least wrap the bag so all the zippers, buckles, and straps are not exposed.

I use a zippered wheeled duffel as my checked bag. My empty pack goes in first and everything else gets packed on top of it.

Coming home, if I have boneless frozen meat (deer or antelope) in the pack, it goes in the overhead bin and my normal carryon goes under the seat as my personal item.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it a few ways and none was as elegant and simple as buckling everything and then slipping the pack into a big clear tough plastic bag (that the airport supplied). If you wanted to be sure to have one, you could bring a couple for the trip rather than get at the airport. Airline/security can look inside (unlike shrink wrap) and you can carry your pack by its pack straps rather than carrying your pack inside a duffel with inferior straps. I also like the discipline of being ready to roll on arrival (except for water and fuel canister and bear spray if in grizzly country) rather than putting off the final decisions about what goes in the pack into the backcountry to the trailhead that I inevitably end up with if the pack isn't packed.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Take your kill kit and tools out and throw them in your rifle case. Take the pack as a carry on if possible.

Take your kill kit and tools out and throw them in your rifle case. Take the pack as a carry on if possible.
This works until it doesn't. Ive had one instance where i tried to use my pack as a carry on and they stopped me at the gate and made me check it in. The pack did get to the destination okay, but I was worried it would not.

I put my packs in a bigduffel bag with the rest of my gear.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This works until it doesn't. Ive had one instance where i tried to use my pack as a carry on and they stopped me at the gate and made me check it in. The pack did get to the destination okay, but I was worried it would not.

I put my packs in a bigduffel bag with the rest of my gear.
Yeah even if they have you gate check it, you can normally watch them go put it under the plane right then and there. They take it straight down the jet bridge and onto the luggage carts in most cases I've seen. Less likely to get lost than going behind the curtains of doom haha.

SloppyJ

WKR
There's an exo video where they show you how to take the stays out and crank it down even more to make it fit as a carry on. That's going to be my plan for two hunts next year.

OP
B
Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. I actually fit the pack and most of my gear in a hard side samsonite suitcase and the rest will go in a small pelican. This plus my bow case gets it all there inside of a shell of sorts. Now to just the keep the TSA gremlins from “confiscating” things.