Chassis vs Stock

rootacres

WKR
So is bumping to an ultralight chassis system worth it?

I am in process of having a little gunsmithing done to my custom 7 SAUM to turn it into what I consider perfect. Barreled action already sits in an Allterra Arms stock. Im considering either inletting the stock for DBM and adding an 8" ish run of ARCA rail or bumping to an MDT HNT26 with the folder. It'll run the mags I plan on using and have integrated ARCA rails. My next 2 hunts will be in the PNW and Kodiak. Being able to fold the rifle down would be nice and not that it's a huge deal but I am estimating around an 10-14 oz drop in weight.

I am more interested in the ARCA integration, folding stock, shooting comfort etc being worth it/better. All the options are expensive so price is what it is, not a huge concern.

Bighorn Origin SA, 22" Proof, Allterra Stock

Thanks for the help.

I’m debating the same thing. I have an Allterra stock that I want to install Hawkins DBM and an SRS Arca, or go chassis.

I like the stock but I also like the ease of the chassis.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently running an XLR aluminum with a TR2 buttstock and my hunting partner is running their ultralight magnesium chassis with carbon furniture. I would say both experiences for us have been that the chassis is far superior. Its hard to even go back to a traditional stock at this point for both of us. We both also use folding adapters. I think it's still going to be a matter of ones opinion but I think the big reason people haven't gone to the chassis more often is the cost and in the past the weight was a big factor as well.

My biggest complaint so far is that those metal mags are clunky and noisy. They function flawlessly but they are noisy and have some ergonomic drawbacks. I don't know about the MDT but XLR just came out with a mag system that looks like it solves some of that problem for hunters. I used some of the XLR cheek pad material and cut out pads for my mags in the places where it contacts metal on metal and so far it helps reduce a lot of that clanking noise. Neither one of us have messed around with the ARCA yet but having the capability provides another benefit.

If you haven't ever used a chassis, I think you will really enjoy it but its hard to say off one guys opinion on the internet. Hope this helps.

I think the chassis is far superior in all aspects except for the magazine issues. Just my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: XLR

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My next 2 hunts will be in the PNW and Kodiak.

I am a huge fan of chassis in general, but I don't think they are the answer for everyone or every situation. However, folding chassis have massive benefits when hunting thick cover in areas like PNW/Kodiak. For you, I'd recommend one.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I'm currently running an XLR aluminum with a TR2 buttstock and my hunting partner is running their ultralight magnesium chassis with carbon furniture. I would say both experiences for us have been that the chassis is far superior. Its hard to even go back to a traditional stock at this point for both of us. We both also use folding adapters. I think it's still going to be a matter of ones opinion but I think the big reason people haven't gone to the chassis more often is the cost and in the past the weight was a big factor as well.

My biggest complaint so far is that those metal mags are clunky and noisy. They function flawlessly but they are noisy and have some ergonomic drawbacks. I don't know about the MDT but XLR just came out with a mag system that looks like it solves some of that problem for hunters. I used some of the XLR cheek pad material and cut out pads for my mags in the places where it contacts metal on metal and so far it helps reduce a lot of that clanking noise. Neither one of us have messed around with the ARCA yet but having the capability provides another benefit.

If you haven't ever used a chassis, I think you will really enjoy it but its hard to say off one guys opinion on the internet. Hope this helps.

I think the chassis is far superior in all aspects except for the magazine issues. Just my opinion.
Thank you for the feedback. The mag situation is definitely on the pro/con list. The MDT is AICS compatible and I have the Hawkins Hunter mag. It's pretty low profile and it fits tight in the bottom metal I have now. Im hopeful it'll be a snug fit should I decide to get the MDT. That should help with some of the noise I would think.

rsltid13

FNG
I may be wrong but I think the Hawkins are only compatible with xlr and mpa chasis

letrbuck

WKR
I'm on the other side of this debate, I got an xlr chassis and I'm not a fan. Sure, it's cool and has some nice features but not for the extra weight, noise, and being an ice block. They aren't for everyone, so might pay to get your hands on one to try out before spending the money

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I'm on the other side of this debate, I got an xlr chassis and I'm not a fan. Sure, it's cool and has some nice features but not for the extra weight, noise, and being an ice block. They aren't for everyone, so might pay to get your hands on one to try out before spending the money
Im with ya there. The XLRs, while they look badass and have all the features to make a great competition ready stock they may not be the best option for hunting. Especially in the weight category. The MDT HNT26 chassis that I am referring to, in its stripped down form is only 26oz. With the folder it'll be a few oz more.

gbflyer

WKR
I have a chassis rifle, not light or folding. I’d pass on a chassis and bulky DBM for most of the county I’ve seen in the PNW. All the protrusions, Pic rails, etc. snag and clatter. Could be a bit of a handicap in the Alder-Hell areas on Kodiak. Also not sure how handy a folder is when you need to carry it ready to use, which is a potential there.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Im with ya there. The XLRs, while they look badass and have all the features to make a great competition ready stock they may not be the best option for hunting. Especially in the weight category. The MDT HNT26 chassis that I am referring to, in its stripped down form is only 26oz. With the folder it'll be a few oz more.
FYI, the XLR Mg with CF fixtures and the folder is 1oz heavier than a HNT26 folder with LoP spacers (both with REM SA inlet).

• Love

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I could pick up an alterra stock for one of my tikkas it’s one stock I would actually like to try. I’m a big fan of both the krg bravo and hnt26 as far as chassis go although the bravo feels like a traditional long range stock. The hnt26 has served me well I find it to move through thick vegetation as well as any sporter stock does, I haven’t had it hang up on anything that wouldn’t have other wise hung up on a conventional stock. It was the only lightweight option that I liked for a hunting chassis and I ended up setting up 2 rifles with them. I’m not a huge fan of pistol grips but I have learned to shoot well enough with it, if the bravo matched the weight of the hnt26 I would problem run them on everything though.