Chassis arca rail milling

WKR

WKR
Has anyone attempted to or thought about milling a standard arca to the area 419 arca lock?

I ask because I'm pondering doing this to a couple xlr elements. @XLR Do you have any comment on this?

All of my ballheads use the arca lock system and I dont want to have to add an additional rail to the bottom of my chassis if I dont have to.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it will be an issue if you have the right equipment to do it.

The new XLR chassis all come cut that way now.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I don't think it will be an issue if you have the right equipment to do it.

The new XLR chassis all come cut that way now.
I'm talking about the serrated area 419 arca lock.
Xlr are regular arca.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
last paragraph of the original post

Your last paragraph is not clear why you want to put a propriarty arca lock rail on your gun vs a regular arca.
Use the regular arca rail in the arca lock head.
I have not seen any propriarty arca lock heads that will not accept a regular acra rail.
If the manufacturer does not play nice it is easier to drop it, then mess with everything else.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Arca and r-lok are 100% compatible. I have some new rlok rrs bipod clamps and an rlok anvil and I took that crap out of there. The best thing about the new heads is ability to adjust the arca locking tension, that's it in my opinion. Having a locking pin that normally doesn't release from the chassis when you open the clamp half way to make an adjustment sucks. It's a poor design, and truthfully does nothing if you're tension is set right. I have a couple xlr envy pro, a xylo and new mdt elite chassis all with rlok, I don't use it at all, my rlok heads are gutted of the parts that function it.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Area 419 Arca Lock clamps are ‘backwards’ compatible to normal arca.

I’d be pretty surprised if XLR was moving to Arca Lock. I’d bet RRS R-lok. Neither are necessary in my experience- even with light(ish) magnums.
You're right. I mixed the two up.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can tell you that we haven't had any customers do this before that I am aware of and if something goes wrong it wont be covered under our warranty. With that being said it should not take out any of the structural integrity out of the chassis so it shouldn't be an issue. If you are going to do it I would recommend sending it to Area 419 and having them either do it or recommend someone who has experience doing it just to make sure everything is within spec. The other option would be just popping the pins out of your 419 clamp which turns it into a normal arca clamp!

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I can tell you that we haven't had any customers do this before that I am aware of and if something goes wrong it wont be covered under our warranty. With that being said it should not take out any of the structural integrity out of the chassis so it shouldn't be an issue. If you are going to do it I would recommend sending it to Area 419 and having them either do it or recommend someone who has experience doing it just to make sure everything is within spec. The other option would be just popping the pins out of your 419 clamp which turns it into a normal arca clamp!
Looks like that's what I'll be doing. 419 doesn't offer that service. Kinda wish I went with another clamp.

ID_Matt

WKR
Looks like that's what I'll be doing. 419 doesn't offer that service. Kinda wish I went with another clamp.
Just take the arca lock pins out of your clamp and you are good to go. 419 makes a good clamp even if you don't use the arca-lock feature.

Reactions: XLR

khuber84

WKR
Honestly the RRS rlok clamps are the best, as they're the only qd lever clamps that has adjustment in the clamp tension in such a low profile. Rrs has a video showing how to take the rlok out, tip: do it all inside a clear gallon zip lock, there's a spring that'll possibly launch. Never did find that sucker.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You might just give them a call and see if they will sell you another clamp! It looks like they should be the same ball head with a different clamp.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
You might just give them a call and see if they will sell you another clamp! It looks like they should be the same ball head with a different clamp.
Hey kinda off topic but do all stocks require a castle nut on the elements?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey kinda off topic but do all stocks require a castle nut on the elements?
We have the TR-2 with the contoured buffer tube that doesn't require a castle nut. That is the only one that I am aware of though! You torque it with the machined in allen wrench slot on the back of the buffer tube.