Chasing high desert Lopes with my son

Duh

WKR
Got the opportunity to take my son out on an antelope hunt yesterday. It just got done raining hard and we set out into the desert with some candy and no expectations.

We saw a ton of antelope and some decent bucks but nothing that really stood out. My boy took a nap while I decided to drive us up into a bald mountain with a the rockiest road in the area.

As we were getting near the top, I saw a bunch of white bodies running up the opposite hillside. I decided to stop the jeep and take us on a walk up the remainder of the mountain.

Loaded my boy in the pack and got to walking. Once we crested the top, I spotted a nice buck with a bunch of does. After sucking some air we made a quick stalk to the edge of the ridge and they ended up busting across the next hillside. Looking at the buck, I could tell he was a pretty decent buck compared to what we had seen.

I got a range on him at 400 yards and got the gun set up on the tripod. Maybe sure my boy got to see where the antelope were before I sent a 108 eldm into the heart. The buck made it about 20 yards and did a death flip before our eyes. My son was PUMPED!IMG_8009.jpegIMG_8010.jpeg
We got everything packed up and headed back down to the jeep. From there, I got to basically rock crawl us up to the ridge to get our hands on the buck.
IMG_7994.jpegIMG_7951.jpeg
Once we got some pictures we heard some coyotes going off way down the ridge. Luckily I had my hand calls on me so we walked 50 yards and set up for a quick set. About 10 minutes in, he was making what I thought was too much noise, so I decided to pack us up. Once we stood up I could see a double coming in from a long ways down wind. Both coyotes checked up and I got a range on one at 508 yards. I got steady and squeezed the trigger before watching that coyote crumble in the scope. The other one got away but I’ll take the bonus coyote all day. IMG_8012.jpeg
We ended up getting the buck loaded up and heading down the rock trail. This hunt will
definitely go down in the books and he’s off to a killer start in his hunting career.
IMG_7999.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7951.jpeg
    IMG_7951.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 9
Heck yeah! Thats the good stuff!! My 7 yr old is wanting to go out west to get on goats so bad. He filled our freezer the last couple of years with deer meat. Hope I get the chance to take him one day.

Reactions: Duh

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
Great story...your pictures are priceless.
Possibly my favorite hunt pics ever shown on the Slide
Thank you for sharing

Perhaps I am just ignorant, but what is the device on top of your scope?
I assume that is what you used to take the above pics with the reticle

Last edited:
Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Great story...your pictures are priceless.
Possibly my favorite hunt pics ever shown on the Slide
Thank you for sharing

Perhaps I am just ignorant, but what is the device on top of your scope?
I assume that is what you used to take the above pics with the reticle
Thanks man. Yeah it’s called a trigger cam. It records through the reticle. I like it but it’s a little finicky with the parallax on the Nightforce. I need to be better about getting it in focus before shooting.