Charging Bear - 10mm vs 44mag

The debate always focuses on one working and one not working. If a bear charges you need to be lucky and prepared to not get chewed on. A bear can only chew on one person at a time and I would prefer the others in my hunting party be able to shoot on that is on me rather than spray it. I would rather they not hit me when they are shooting at it. I think dumping a 10mm at close range would be a quicker stop than 2-3 win mags but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll keep hunting where the bears are black either way.

I remember reading an article in Outdoor life years ago. There were three or four hunters together all with rifles and a grizzly charged them. All of them emptied their guns. So that's 15-20 rounds. The bear died at their feet. It was hit twice. Once in the front leg and once in the head. We only have black bears where I live. I can't even imagine having a bear that size running at you. If you aren't pissing your pants you are a real bad ass. I had a black bear that was probably around 300lbs follow me one time fishing. I'm sure it smelled the trout I had on my stringer. He finally came running at me and stopped short about 15 yards away. I already had my 9mm pistol out so I shot into a tree near the bear. Luckily it took off. I don't know how well a 9mm would do on a black bear. I honestly only bring my gun for two legged threats.

As the bear population has exploded all of us out in the western woods need to be very vigilant and bearanoid because the likelihood of an interaction greatly increases with the increasing bear population.

Confirms what I've always believed--a sidearm for a bear attack is just 'false security'!
Compared to what else that you would feasibly carry while, say, archery hunting or fishing? While I agree it is far from ideal and even farther from a sure thing, it isn’t false security. He hit it 2-3 times in the face with the 10mm. With 200-220gn hard cast hot loads and those shots, you definitely stand a chance.

The guy walking around a packed snowmobile trail with snowshoes makes me cringe. Although I agree with his conclusion I have a hard time taking advice from somebody that looks that out of their element.

Are there any stories or videos of a bear charging through or continuing to maul after being hit with bear spray? I know I’ve read stories of bears fighting through gunshots.

(Not trying to start a debate. Just asking for facts)
Watch the 2nd video in this thread

There seems to be two camps in the 44 vs 10 debate.

1) a more powerful round on target is better.
2) More rounds on target, albeit not as powerful, is better.

I carried my Glock 29 when I lived in WY. Thankful I never had to use it. Its easier to shoot, ammo is cheaper so I got more range time. Its also lighter.

Carry what you are more comfortable shooting and shoot it often.

Case in point, many people carry lighter 44 mags with hard cast type ammo. That stuff is a wakeup call for anyone that doesn't shoot it on the regular. Its a bruiser even for people that shoot often.

Back