Changing Sights on a Bow

JSC2626

FNG
Has anyone ever tried swapping back and forth between two sights on the same bow? One being sighted in for broadheads and the other sighted in for field points?

I have just recently switched my sight over to BH since hunting season starts in 2 weeks but would like to still have a way to shoot FP. Unfortunately, the point-of-impact between my field point and broadhead is not close so I am currently stuck shooting broadheads exclusively. The problem with this is I am seeing cost significantly increasing and practice reps significantly decreasing. I have already worn out my rhinehart core in basically 2 weeks. At this rate, I will be spending about $160/month just on cores to shoot. Additionally, I have already destroyed 2 arrows & broadheads due to shooting one into another. Broadheads are QAD Exodus and are running about $40 for 3. My arrows are VAP TKO and are running about $120 for 6. I just cannot keep on buying this stuff over and over again for the entire 5 months of my hunting season. Eventually I will buy another bow to have as a practice bow, but I just cant swing it right now.

wnelson14

WKR
Is that something a pro shop would assist with?
Yes, there are many posts on here about walk back tuning and broadhead tuning, but I would first focus on your bow tune and make sure it is close to perfect then attempt to broadhead tune.
If you’re close to a hunt, I would just shoot broadheadss but don’t shoot groups.

Also watch videos and learn how to tune your bow and the money you have spent on extra arrows and components you probably could have bought a bow press.

TxxAgg

WKR
Agree with tuning

Also, learn to sharpen broadheads. There is a lot of confidence shooting a known arrow over and over again. Then just touching up the broadhead.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a bunch of threads on here discussing Broadhead tuning which should get you going and learning. It’s very satisfying to do your own work on your bow and then harvest an animal with it. Good luck on the archery journey!

OP
J

JSC2626

FNG
Tried walk back tuning and it fixed everything. Point of impact is identical now between the BH and FP. Wish I had asked sooner! I still have to go buy a new target, arrows, and some broadheads but I can live with that now that I know it’s the last time I’ll buy them for a while. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This is my first bow, and I don’t have local connections that shoot a bow so I’m learning everything through experience and online.

Bump79

WKR
Tried walk back tuning and it fixed everything. Point of impact is identical now between the BH and FP. Wish I had asked sooner! I still have to go buy a new target, arrows, and some broadheads but I can live with that now that I know it’s the last time I’ll buy them for a while. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This is my first bow, and I don’t have local connections that shoot a bow so I’m learning everything through experience and online.
Glad to hear you got it straightened out! Rest adjustments are the same for BH tuning as paper or bareshaft. The reactions are the same.

Personally, I'd start with your bow shop making sure that you're rest is at centershot, cam timing is on and your sight axis's are set. Make sure you've got enough fletch (>2" in length and >.5" height) and make sure it isn't hitting anything. Then I'd go to tuning - use tiny tiny adjustments if you can a micro adjust rest is best.

Horizontal adjustments
Broadhead right = tail left (broadhead right and catches air -> planes to the right) = move rest right.
Broadhead left = tail right = move rest left
Vertical adjustments are opposite
Broadhead high = tail low = move rest DOWN
Broadhead low = tail high = Move rest UP