Changing arrow Setup??

I am thinking about changing my arrow setup slightly. Here are my specs currently.
-70lb DW
-28.5" DL
-Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 350 Spine
-42 Grain Brass Insert
-100 Grain Broadhead
With vanes and Lighted nock my arrow weight is 415 grains with an 11% FOC.

I am thinking about changing my broadhead to a 125 grain broadhead. Which would change my arrow weight to 440 grains and around a 13% FOC. Do you think that this change is worth the time and you you think it will make a difference. I have already filled my tags this year so I am done hunting and have time to mess around with things. I hunt whitetail deer with most shots under 50 yards. Will my arrow spine still be fine with adding the extra 25 grains up front. Any information is appreciated. Thanks!!

crich

WKR
I guess the first question is whats making you think about switching things up. Are you having any issues with your current setup? For whitetail Id say you're right in the sweet spot. That said I like a heavier arrow setup because it quiets my bow down and I'm almost guaranteed 2 holes with a good shot.

Short answer: 25 gr isn't much weight...not going to make a big difference in arrow flight or performance. You'll lose around 8 fps and possibly gain a little penetration potential.

I'm assuming from the info you provided that the carbon-to-carbon length of your arrow is roughly equal to your draw length (28.5"). If so, the spine charts/software would say you're on the weak side with a 100 gr head. A 125 gr head would further weaken the arrow. However, charts/software just give approximate starting points. If an arrow tunes well and groups broadheads well, its spine is functionally "optimal" regardless of what the charts/software say. If you were worried about 350 spine being too weak, you likely have room to trim an inch or more off the arrow (if it is indeed 28.5" long) to stiffen it a bit.

A cheap way to test out the effects of an extra 25 gr would be to get some 125 gr field points or to put a 25 gr weight screw behind your insert.

Without knowing the IBO rating on your bow, I'd say you are already likely weak. I have trouble getting 340-350 spine arrows to really broadhead tune at 70# and 28" shafts with any bow that is 340+ ibo and has north of 100 gr on the front.

You can get away with a 27" shaft on most setups that are 28.5" DL, but I still would bump up your spine.

I'm all about experimenting, but likely the only thing to gain from a heavier broadhead is going to be possibly a more durable head. 25 grains isn't going to make any noticeable difference in performance in my opinion.

OP
Dylan Sluis
Without knowing the IBO rating on your bow, I'd say you are already likely weak. I have trouble getting 340-350 spine arrows to really broadhead tune at 70# and 28" shafts with any bow that is 340+ ibo and has north of 100 gr on the front.

You can get away with a 27" shaft on most setups that are 28.5" DL, but I still would bump up your spine.

I'm all about experimenting, but likely the only thing to gain from a heavier broadhead is going to be possibly a more durable head. 25 grains isn't going to make any noticeable difference in performance in my opinion.
The IBO rating on my bow is 327 fps. I shoot the Hoyt Torrex

I would not want to push that shaft anymore. I'm not saying it won't work, only way to know is to try. But personally I would go shorter on the shaft, or bump up the spine because I have chased my tail too much trying to tune too weak of a shaft.

I just haven't had much success in getting a good broadhead tune with weak or even borderline weak shafts, no real reason to try in my opinion.

Stay with your 100 grain heads, or change your shafts.

OP
Dylan Sluis
I would not want to push that shaft anymore. I'm not saying it won't work, only way to know is to try. But personally I would go shorter on the shaft, or bump up the spine because I have chased my tail too much trying to tune too weak of a shaft.

I just haven't had much success in getting a good broadhead tune with weak or even borderline weak shafts, no real reason to try in my opinion.

Ok, thanks for your help man!!

I'd bump up the spine to a 300. That will open up the world in terms of components (i.e., front weight) you can mess with.

If you're serious about tweaking this/that, I'd highly suggest messing around in Archer's Advantage. I feel like the $12/year is worth it.

Like others are saying, you can go shorter.

When I say change your shafts, either go up in spine or take over an inch off of them.

OP
Dylan Sluis
Like others are saying, you can go shorter.

When I say change your shafts, either go up in spine or take over an inch off of them.
Ok. when I bring in my bow for a tune up in about a month or so I will have them cut an inch or so of of my arrows. After cutting an inch off. Do you think a 125 grain head will be ok then with the shorter arrow?

Ok. when I bring in my bow for a tune up in about a month or so I will have them cut an inch or so of of my arrows. After cutting an inch off. Do you think a 125 grain head will be ok then with the shorter arrow?

Likely yes.

I'd cut them back as much as you are comfortable with. Maybe 1.5".