Changed the Sako Sticky Stock

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Sako 85 Finnlight 270 WSM in the safe. Been there a long time. Bought a Zeiss Conquest 6 from a forum member a few weeks ago because it was lacking a scope. Scope arrived, and went to get the gun. Like so many others my stock was a sticky mess. It was worse than a sticky mouse trap.

So I decided to strip and refinish. Stripping was with paint and varnish stripper. Came off fairly easy. Step two was to sand the stock just a bit. Taped it then applied a Krylon primer for plastic. I strongly suggest it because the first time I painted with the Krylon paint that claimed to not need primer, well it did. Next step was to had the Krylon textured desert sand. I finished with many coats of flat clear. I really think the gun looks better than new. I would look better with a flat black as opposed to stainless, but a lot better than a stick mess for sure.

IMG_9588.jpg
IMG_9587.jpg
IMG_9584.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it. Kind of amazing what you can do with a little time on your hands which I almost never have lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
That turned out great! Have a 85 Finnlight 7mag that I did the same thing to when it turned all sticky. Nice job on yours!

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
Gave that thing a whole new look from its original self, well done. This gives me some motivation to start some projects.

Ok, help the uneducated (me), what makes the stock sticky? Ive got several bolt guns in the cabinet for years, but never had one get sticky?

Ok, help the uneducated (me), what makes the stock sticky? Ive got several bolt guns in the cabinet for years, but never had one get sticky?

Good question. I'm assuming there is some kind of chemical reaction or degradation of the existing finish that turns sticky but might differ depending on the finish.

I've got a couple firearms with the duratouch or whatever browning used to put on them that was notorious for getting sticky but never had an issue.

Good question. I'm assuming there is some kind of chemical reaction or degradation of the existing finish that turns sticky but might differ depending on the finish.

I've got a couple firearms with the duratouch or whatever browning used to put on them that was notorious for getting sticky but never had an issue.
Thanks, kind of what I thought, but I just didnt know. I have had some plastic worms, lures etc break down over time, and thought it may be down those lines (no pun intended lol)

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the only stock I’ve ever had it happen to and have no idea why. I thought I did something to it and messed it up until I looked it up online and saw it was a known issue for many others with that model. I would guess it is a reaction of sorts also just the way mine occurred all of a sudden and spread.