Chamber crooked?

Hunter609

WKR
Just got my new rifle back from the gun smith yesterday and injected it. It appears that the chamber may be crooked due to 2 of the groves that are next to each other go back to the neck. Should I shoot this first and see how it shoots or not. I’m going to bring it up to him either way. He said he fired only once to check functionality.70AB321C-C6C1-4739-9B09-59A2A915DA97.jpeg

Mag_7s

WKR
Dang thats unfortunate. I don't thunk I would shoot it, but on the other hand, how many factory chambers are "straight"? Just out of curiosity, is that 5R rifling? I have heard that 5R rifling can be difficult to cut due to the geometry of rifling wanting to grab more of the reamer on one side.

Mag_7s

WKR
I think i would bring that back to your smith. I would guess he would just have to set the barrel back enough to true it.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are the lands crooked? I would say shoot it first and if it doesn't shoot good then go from there.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
that is my thought, he says he thinks it my reloads is why it’s hard to close. It does it with virgin adg brass ran through a Redding fl sizing die plus leaves a mark on the shoulder and 2 spots on the bullet

Mag_7s

WKR
Under certain circumstances that can be true, but with new brass and I'm assuming it was cut with a reamer within saami spec...not too likely. Does an empty piece of brass fit? Are there any land markings on the bullet?

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Saami reamer with bore rider throat the 2 marks appear to line up with the 2 spots in the throat

Mag_7s

WKR
I think that's a problem. I was going to ask if the spots are possibly the throat lead, but I think there is something else going on. Does the shoulder of the barrel fit square against the action?

KenLee

WKR
Have you tried chambering a factory round ?
Not that you need to shoot factory rounds, but to stop him blaming your loads.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
I’m trying to find some, found someone on long range hunting that would sell a box but I have to mail a check from one coast to the other but that’ll take a while. I have someone that can make the 5hr trip in the next week and a half to take it back so I’m looking for something closer

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
I think that's a problem. I was going to ask if the spots are possibly the throat lead, but I think there is something else going on. Does the shoulder of the barrel fit square against the action?
I’ll check that out when I’m off work

KenLee

WKR
I’m trying to find some, found someone on long range hunting that would sell a box but I have to mail a check from one coast to the other but that’ll take a while. I have someone that can make the 5hr trip in the next week and a half to take it back so I’m looking for something closer
What round is the rifle chambered in?

BBob

WKR
If all 5 lands don’t start/stop at the same point evenly around the circumference the throat then it got reamed off center. If that’s the case send it back and have him fix it. If the stock is inletted to match the barrel then he just bought you a new barrel.