Chainsaws

Takeem406

WKR
I've been needing a saw for occasional use and for incase a trees over the road when heading to and from the trailheads.
I impulse bought a Stihl MS170.
I guess it's just a home owner light use saw. It only has a 16" bar. So this probably would limit me, right? It was on sale for $160 so the price was right.

Would I be better off looking for a pawn shop deal with a longer bar/bigger motor.

This would be OK for cutting small firewood for car camping with the family but I'm guessing that's about it.

Later on I may get a place with a wood stove but honestly I don't have time to just spend a weekend cutting wood. But it'd suck to not be able to get where I wanted to hunt because of a big snag across the road.

If I get a bigger saw I can always put a smaller bar on it, can't I?

How are Hunsky saws compared to Stihl?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kda082

WKR
I've had bigger Stihs and Husqvarnas, but you'll appreciate that smaller saw if your cutting overhead or using it for long. I currently use a Echo 400 and got rid of my bigger saws. Cuts hedge around my place just fine. Can use a 16 or 18" bar. I love the lighter weight.

gbflyer

WKR
Stihl and Husky have homeowner versions which are generally sold at Home Depot on the cheap. They are all typically the models that work well the first few times then as time goes on they tend to advance ones vocabulary in terms of profanity while jerking on the rope trying to get it to run. About the time it’s ready to start the rope breaks. If you need a longer term solution, find a saw shop and buy a pro grade model. Probably 3X more expensive and totally worth it. Use the expensive premixed gas or get gas with no ethanol. Never loan it.

Husky is lighter and faster, eats chain sooner in dirty wood. Stihl is heavier, slower, and more torque. Both are good. Generally.

Ms170 small consumer saw made for storm clean up type work, might be just fine for what you need. You can find ms290/rancher 55 (54cc) all day used for 200, twice the hp and yes you could run any size bar you want. Just remember, you are always better off using the shortest bar possible. Ms290’s good for 16-20 bar although people put bigger ones on and for a consumer saw it really is a good saw. Nothing wrong with huskys, they are great saws also. Better yet, get a older used pro saw and never look back. My camp saw is a 044 (75cc) with a 20” bar, it can handle a 3’ bar if need be.

For a solid firewood/camp all around saw I would stick in the 50cc range. I have had a Stihl 261 (not m-tronic version) with a 20 inch bar for over 5 years now. If there's one thing I can't stand, its how unreliable 2 stroke motors are to start in general. I've never had start up issues with a Stihl, even after sitting for months.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Stihl 192 with a 14" bar I use for that. It has a lot of power for what it is. I haven't found a tree I couldn't get downsized with it yet across a trail. It might not be the most efficient tool for a big tree, but I can get it cut up. Probably depends on where you are hunting. This little saw starts and runs good. I carry the saw and a plastic ammo can holding a small can of chainsaw fuel (ethanol free and treated), plus a spare chain, tool, bar oil, and a couple wedges.

I hate running modern fuel in a 2 stroke, or any small engine that might sit a while. My generator, boat, saws, etc I prefer an ethanol free fuel treated with Seafoam. I worked at a farm equipment dealership for a few years out of school and learned how much hassle a little preventative treatment can save.

I can't say what's best for you, but my back doesn't like any bar shorter than 20'' (less bending). If your only cutting a small amount It's probably less of an issue.

Sounds like a decent small saw for occasional use. An important thing to remember, don't store it with fuel in it. Run the fuel out of the carb.

I have a Husky 455 I've been using to cut up about 5 cords of firewood per year. Still runs fine and starts easy after 12 years. I always run the fuel out of it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Stihl MS170 is a VERY useful and handy little saw. I’ve used the heck out of mine as have about a half dozen buddies have used theirs here in the Inland NW. Personally, I wouldn’t be without one. Neither would they! It’s not my only saw (workhorse is an MS461 w/28” bar) but it gets used quite a bit and is quite capable.

I bought an old Stihl 180 around 2008. No idea how old the saw was but showed some age and was very cheap. Used it two years around the place in CO without anything more than blade sharpening and turning the bar over as it was dished and worn. Drained the fuel out and left it at my CO place when I moved to BC.

That was a mistake as I needed a saw for the quad up here and ended up with a new Stihl 170 in 2010. It is
going strong 10 summers later with zero issues.

Fast forward to this summer. I ended up bringing the now ancient 180 model up to BC when we sold our CO place 4 years ago but never did anything with it. We were building a house, busy and I had the 170. This spring I got the 180 out, fueled it and it fired right up. I used it as my quad saw for spring bear season. Cut a few large dead falls. As far as I’m concerned Stihl gets an A for the 180 and the 170. And the 180 has noticeably more power than my newer 170. Good luck!

Last edited:

Carr5vols

WKR
I've been needing a saw for occasional use and for incase a trees over the road when heading to and from the trailheads.
I impulse bought a Stihl MS170.
I guess it's just a home owner light use saw. It only has a 16" bar. So this probably would limit me, right? It was on sale for $160 so the price was right.

Would I be better off looking for a pawn shop deal with a longer bar/bigger motor.

This would be OK for cutting small firewood for car camping with the family but I'm guessing that's about it.

Later on I may get a place with a wood stove but honestly I don't have time to just spend a weekend cutting wood. But it'd suck to not be able to get where I wanted to hunt because of a big snag across the road.

If I get a bigger saw I can always put a smaller bar on it, can't I?

How are Hunsky saws compared to Stihl?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

From the son of a 2nd generation logger, only use Stihl, we have tried every other brand, only one that gets close is husqvarna. For your uses I would stick to a smaller saw, keep your chain sharp and it will handle just about anything you need. I have a smaller stihl for items just like you are referring too.

Jmort1754

WKR
There are other saws that come close to the stihl. Matter of fact when you get to the bigger stuff the Huskies keep right up. For home use we use the Echo Timberwolf saw that has been heavily used cutting firewood for 3 families for 4 years and have had no issues with it. However when trimming wood I will say that a nice 16 inch bar stihl saw is super nice to have.

I bought a Stihl farm boss 10 years ago. Dropped a couple dozen trees. It isn’t too heavy for clearing. Starts easy and runs like a top.

Keep some bar oil handy. A spare chain is good too. A file for sharpening. I am religious about running Satbil and startron in mine. It sits for months and runs without issue when I need it.

Mosby

WKR
I have a few Stihls, a Redmax and two Husquvarna. I like them all. Get quality chain and not the safety chain that some come with. Always have extra chain, a screw driver, file and a spark plug. I put Seafoam in premium gas and have a can just for my chainsaws. Any brand chain oil works. If I am using in freezing winter temps, I get a winter blend chain oil. Get some felling wedges. I would recommend you get it from a local dealer, where you can get it repaired or parts if needed. A good saw can last for years, if taken care of. Like a lot of things, I would get the best one you can afford.

Just ran my Echo CS590 in 100 degrees for 3 hrs. No issues. Same saw went into a blizzard on the Continental Ridge with me last November. Didn’t bring backup for cutting wood that kept us warm in a TENT for 5 days. Didn’t need it. No issues.

The same saw will start no longer how long it sits in northern Illinois winters. No additives ever added and it’s been trucking now for almost 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk