Central Nevada weather?

ryanbauman23

Lil-Rokslider
I will be packing up to about 10,000 feet later this week for the Nevada Archery opener. I am trying to get a better gauge on what temperatures I can expect. Anyone have any experience with it? Making last minute adjustments to what clothing to wear/bring.

45-70

FNG
Just use a weather app to find the max. and min. temps for a town or city close to your hike. Then figure 3-4 degrees per 1000 feet. You'll be in the ballpark. Keep in mind that for the lower half of Nevada we are firmly in our monsoon season. When it rains it rains hard & fast so keep up on the wx and don't leave the rain gear behind unless you have a rock solid forecast. Good luck with your hunt.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I was just out in "the/a" zone you are talking about and the weather was all over the place. It hailed like crazy on Thursday afternoon, was warm most days(think low 80's) and then chilly(low 40's I'd guess) and windy most evenings. Bring gloves, a beanie, and a good wind layer(all three things I didn't pack for this short scouting trip). Smoke was pretty nasty in the valleys. It seemed to blow in most nights, making glassing more than 3/4 of a mile nearly impossible, so it might be worth leaving the spotter at the truck...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you go to the NOAA weather site you can get the weather for exactly where you are hunting.

Search the closest town and once the weather pops up there will be a small map on the right. Scroll the map to the location you are camping and double click that spot on the map. The weather forecast will then change to that exact location and elevation. It is usually pretty damn close to what you will get once you are there.

Pueblo

FNG
Ruby Mountains 1st week in 2013: Could have gotten by with a T shirt and one pullover. I way overpacked.
Ruby Mountains 1st week in 2014: Needed every bit of gear. Rain, wind, hail, brutal sun, thunder, lightening........ However it was never below freezing.

If Elko weather says "chance of T-Storms" you will 100% get them.