Centerfire rifle turkey hunting

I know I'll probably get some hate for this, but it's legal in Colorado during fall season.

This September I'll be along on a guys trip. One buddy has a Mountain Goat tag that we'll prioritize. After that we're heading down to another buddies cabin along a river. There are a couple elk tags and a couple deer tags to be filled. I'm not a tag holder, but I'm along to call elk, pack meat, catch fish, cook food, etc.....

However, it's come to my attention that there are a bunch of turkeys around the area. And using a rifle and shooting a bird of either sex is legal during fall season. I don't plan to dedicate any time to "turkey hunting", but might be interested in carrying a rifle and pulling the trigger on a turkey if the opportunity arises.

What is an appropriate caliber rifle to shoot a turkey with? And, apart from a head shot, what is the best shot placement to not ruin too much meat?

I might also snag a September rifle bear tag for the area, so if I only had to carry one rifle, that would be ideal. Which makes me think I need to jump down the .223 thread rabbit hole, and I'm willing to do that. But, to simplify things, is a .223 sufficient for a black bear, and not overkill on a turkey?

-Examples of answers that AREN'T helpful
"Just use a shotgun"
"Use your bow"
"Here's a link to the .223 thread"
"Shooting a turkey with a rifle is unethical"

- Examples of answers that ARE helpful
- Any first hand experience or advice with the question at hand
- Memes

This trip will be in Colorado? If so the .223 won't be legal to take the bear with, only the turkey, fyi.

A friend of mine killed a fall turkey here with a .22 so that could be an option if you have one. A rifle that works well for both bear and turkey might be a challenge unless you can hit the turkey in the head/neck as to not blow it to pieces.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Wish more states allowed centerfire rifle for turkeys.

Shoot what you like/want. I wouldn’t over think this.. it’s a turkey. I’d probably aim for base of neck.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
This trip will be in Colorado? If so the .223 won't be legal to take the bear with, only the turkey, fyi.

A friend of mine killed a fall turkey here with a .22 so that could be an option if you have one. A rifle that works well for both bear and turkey might be a challenge unless you can hit the turkey in the head/neck as to not blow it to pieces.
Ah, you are correct about .223 and bear, dangit.

Hnthrdr

WKR
.22 mag would work, .223, there is some silly ft lbs at a 100 yards that the rifle is supposed to produce. (If I remember my fall turkey regs correctly) I think a .243 would cover all your bases, result in a very dead Turk and you can whack a bear with it, which I strongly encourage as we need to get those fawn vacuums whenever we get the chance

I’d be real hesitant to shoot a turkey with a soft bullet for fear of blowing a breast apart or ruining it with lead and bloodshot. Not much meat on them to begin with so ruining any is a bummer. Mono’s are probably your friend in that instance. Waiting for a low neck shot is ideal but not always possible.
I know you said no “just use a shotgun” comments, but if you plan on sitting on ponds for bears then you could bring a shotgun to shoot a bear with a slug at short distance, turkey with a slug or turkey load depending on the distance, AND light loads for squirrels and grouse.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Solids or ball ammo or anything non-expanding. .243 would be a good choice, but a bear would take an expanding bullet. If you hit a turkey with that, there might be little left.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
What about a handgun for one and rifle for the other? Either way….22 pistol for turkey and rifle of your choice for bear, or bigger handgun for bear and rimfire or small center fire rifle for turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
Not sure it answers your questions, but I bring along a .17 WSM rimfire (25 grain bullets) on my trips to MT for fall turkey and a .223 for badgers and coyotes (40 grain bullets). Aim at base of neck with no meat damage. I only shoot toms. Fall flocks where I go have over 100 birds so I don't know if I could shoot a specific bird using a shotgun. Good luck!

chemist

FNG
I have only shot one turkey with a rifle. I shot it in the head. It took a couple steps and it fell over. I sat and watched the flock disperse for about 15 minutes. As I went to retrieve the bird it got up and headed after the flock. I finished it with a shot on the moving bird low on the neck. The bird had a perfect 6 mm hole right where I aimed at its head. I don't reccomend a head shot.

I would aim toward the bottom of the neck. I would also take the rifle that you are most accurate with. Soft points are unlikely to have enough time to expand on a turkey neck too make a mess whether you use a 243 or 30-06. Just make sure to not shoot so low on the neck that you hit the breast.

I’ve killed several turkeys with a 7mm mag and have seen several others killed with 270, 30-06, 243. Also killed one with a 54 cal muzzleloader. Personally the one I’ve had with the most damage was with a 17hmr that hit it in the breast. My son hit one with a 243 in the low breast/upper leg that was torn up pretty bad as well.

Besides the two above, they’ve all been in remarkably good condition. The first time I saw a buddy shoot a turkey with a 30-06 I was shaking my head thinking it would just be hamburger, but it wasn’t.

I prefer a broadside shot and try to stay towards the back and away from the breast meat.