case neck turning for .308 resized to 7mm-08

I have about 800 rounds of .308 cases to resize to 7mm-08. I have done 150 federal cases so far. I am having problems with my loaded rounds chambering in my Savage 116, they work but the bolt is tight . I measured the neck diameter of some finished rounds and they are .005 larger than a round of 7mm-08 brass, either a reloaded one or factory ammo. So neck turning seems to be in my future. I have adjusted my dies and do not have case lengths to long so as to have a shoulder that needs to be bumped back more. Using full length Redding and RCBS dies. I am looking at the Hornady case neck turning tool and Forrester attachment for their case neck trimmer. Will either of these do the job for me ? I am not a "long range" guy and use my rifles for hunting. Most of my shots are 300 yds or less with 90% probably 200 or less. I guess I am saying that I just need my brass to work well for hunting purposes, not chasing bench rest world records .

I use the K&M precision one and it looks like it might be less expensive than the Hornady, and I'd have to guess better quality. I use the holder with a cordless drill and it works well. I was chasing tiny little bug holes at one point in my life and decided neck turning was right at the point where the effort wasn't worth the return, but I can see how for you it's pretty much required. If it were me I would get a quality tool, use it on your brass, and sell it since you're not a high volume shooter.

Here's a couple good websites for this kind of stuff, read reviews and such:
AccurateShooter
Sniper's Hide Forum

Measure a fired case before you worry about neck turning. You might be having a different issue at hand, like shoulders not bumped enough or bullet hitting the lands. Also, check your case length

OP
G
Pickettpuncher I have my dies adjusted properly. And my bullet seating depth is currently .030 off the lands. Cases are actually a bit short of trim length. My loaded rounds will not even chamber in the two Remington rifles in our house. I need to trim necks if I am going to use this resized .308 brass this is why I am asking about different trimmers.

You are correct that you need to trim the necks. I have some FC 308 brass here and sized it down in a 7mm-08 RCBS FL sizing die and the measurement came out to .317 and SAMMI spec for a 7mm-08 chamber is .316. Add the .002 to .003 after seating a bullet and the neck expands to .319.
I turned the brass down to .312 and that leaves you with plenty of neck thickness which measured .015. You could take it down a little more if needed. That should leave you .002 clearance in the chamber and should cycle without issue.
The only issue I had with the Forster neck turner was the pilot was a little tight. They make them a little smaller diameter from the factory so you don't have to use a sizing mandrel, but with necking down so much brass it was a little tight. I put he pilot in a drill and polished it down with some 600 grit sandpaper until it fit nicely. Had to do this with the 300 SAUM brass that's being necked down to 7 SAUM that I'm currently doing right now.
I think all the neck turners out there are good, just some more expensive than the others.
Hope this helps you figure some things out.

Attachments

• 20220806_161731.jpeg
    20220806_161731.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220806_233319.jpeg
    20220806_233319.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220806_233717.jpeg
    20220806_233717.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
G
Thanks for the info on neck turning. I measured my neck diameters with my calipers because that is all I have ,but my findings are pretty well the same as yours. This pile of brass I have is not all one head stamp so I am sure as I go along there very well could be variations in thickness after resizing. I will probably just use one brand at a time to keep things simpler.

Axlrod

WKR
Of the two I would get the Hornady. I have Forster case trimmers and their coax press, all good stuff, but their neck turner is not as good as Hornady's.