Case for folding chassis rifle

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up an HNT26 chassis, going to be putting a Tikka 6.5CM action and barrel (cut to 19.5 inches) in it. Does anyone have recommendations on a good case for it? Is it fine to store it in the folded position?
I was thinking it would be good to have a hard plastic case with cut out foam in it, and if i stored it while folded I could limit the length of the overall case to make it easier to transport.

If you’ve got an XLR element or MDT HNT26 - what do you use for a storage case?

Yes you can set up a pelican case to hold the folded chassis. That is how my Barrett is stored. Another option is a rifle “drag bag”. It’s basically a nylon style bag with padding and can accommodate a folded chassis.

The pelican cases are the only ones I’ve found so far. I have an XLR build and I’ve been trying to find something lighter to satisfy Colorados ATV hard case law. No luck yet. Maybe someone in this thread will enlighten us.

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I recently picked up an HNT26 chassis, going to be putting a Tikka 6.5CM action and barrel (cut to 19.5 inches) in it. Does anyone have recommendations on a good case for it? Is it fine to store it in the folded position?
I was thinking it would be good to have a hard plastic case with cut out foam in it, and if i stored it while folded I could limit the length of the overall case to make it easier to transport.

If you’ve got an XLR element or MDT HNT26 - what do you use for a storage case?
Are you talking about transportation of the rifle? Like to the range or on an aircraft, or just storage at home?
I have an HNT26 and just went through this as I am flying to Colorado next week. I needed a new hard side case. What I discovered was I could use a smaller one but then it had no wheels. Wheels at airports for me are a requirement. My prior case had none, and it was a pain.

rootacres

WKR
I have one of these and a HNT26 rifle. I think I prefer this style where you aren't cutting out foam to get a custom fit. I packed my tripod, some clothes, rifle and a handful of other items in there. The rifle was plenty safe. The airline gives you a 50lb allowance, you might as well get your moneys worth when packing.

I flew in for a hunt this year. My dads pelican had his Tikka, some ammo and a bipod in it. Thats pretty much it. He also left 20 or so pounds on the table for gear he could have packed if his case was more open.

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I have one of these and a HNT26 rifle. I think I prefer this style where you aren't cutting out foam to get a custom fit. I packed my tripod, some clothes, rifle and a handful of other items in there. The rifle was plenty safe. The airline gives you a 50lb allowance, you might as well get your moneys worth when packing.

I flew in for a hunt this year. My dads pelican had his Tikka, some ammo and a bipod in it. Thats pretty much it. He also left 20 or so pounds on the table for gear he could have packed if his case was more open.

That looks nice. I got a Pelican Vault that is 44”. My rifle fits just fine (not folded) and I have room for other gear/cloths.