Carter Wise Choice - tearing up D loop

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had an issue with their Carter Wise Choice tearing up their D loop? I have had one for two weeks and my second D Loop has started to fray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Christopher.Reed

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t see a burr upon cursory examination but I might need to take it apart and break out the magnifying glass to detect it.

While I love the feel of the release in my hand; I’m pretty frustrated with the D-Loop issue and it’s apparent inability to lock on to the D-Loop with an arrow nocked. I suppose the two issues could be related and I just purchased a faulty unit, or that I’m new to Archery and am just doing it all wrong despite my superb YouTube/Google skills.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I did have the same issue with the d-loop not allowing my Wise Choice to close while setting up a bow a few months ago. Just needed to lengthen the d-loop slightly and was good to go, but it was quite the mind bender for a minute.

svivian

WKR
Dont quote me on this but i believe there was a period where several carter wise choices were causing this issue and ultimately there were burrs on some that made it out the stores. Carter imo has good customer service and will take care of it. I think you can find more info/conversations about it on ArcheryTalk

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I had this issue with a Carter Wise Choice. I reached out to Carter, sent it back, and they fixed it. No issues since. It was an easy process to deal with them and the turnaround was reasonable (can't remember how long it took though).

I also had a little bit of an issue with it not clipping on to a d-loop. I switched to a slightly thinner loop material and that solved that problem.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I have 2, a new model and a older one. No issues with either one.
Agree, give Carter a call. Let us know how it goes.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue. Mine was an obvious sharp cut where the d loop touched the handle. Not on the jaw itself. I had to gently sand it smooth. I was pretty disappointed with their quality control but still like the release other than this issue.

Not all D loop material is created equal, there are definitely some that fray faster than others. But even cheap material shouldn't fray that fast, I'd reach out to Carter, they'll take care of you.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I had an issue when I started shooting a hinge. I was putting a lot of pressure in one spot causing them to fray. That could be an issue if you're drawing in a strange way maybe that could be it.

I had the same problem with my wise choice. Their jaw doesn’t have a smooth enough edge design.

I like Carter’s sear mechanism, but I prefer B3’s ergonomics and design. I’d sell the Carter and go with a B3 product like the omega, versa, or exit pro.

OP
Christopher.Reed

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I had the D-Loop switched to a thinner material and it solved the problem on the Wise-Choice.

I also purchased a Stan resistance release which is fraying the new D-Loop which caused me to switch back to the original material and the Stan is fraying that as well.

Both releases are from premium, quality manufacturers which leaves one common denominator; operator error. Apparently I need some “how to draw your bow” coaching so I’m trying to video my draw to identify the error in my process.

My bow is a 2021 Ventum 33 with a 74lb draw @ 30.5” draw length. I purchased the bow on July 4th of this year as my first bow and have been putting as many arrows through it each day as my body will allow (up to 100+ at this point) in an effort to refine my form, stabilize my anchor point, improve accuracy, and ultimately get comfortable with the process before flinging an arrow at a deer this hunting season.

This forum has been enormously helpful so thank you all for your input!

OP
Christopher.Reed

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up 2: I did reach out to Carter regarding the issue and they were incredibly helpful and responsive with the response of “Ignore the cost listed on the website; send it in and we will fix it”.

I suspected that it might be user error which is why I changed D-Loop material to verify.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Glad that Carter stepped up to help you out.
On a different subject, don’t push yourself too hard when you’re shooting. Only you get tired, you start marking mistakes and developing bad habits and form.
Take it easy, 10 perfectly executed shots are better than 50 mediocre shots. It’s supposed to be fun.