Carter Thumb releases...which one is best?

skip189

FNG
I am looking to switch from my Scott Talon to a Carter Thumb release but there are so many different models hard to say which one would be best. I think I have narrowed it down to the Wise Choice, Chocolate Addiction, or the Too Simple. Just wondering opinions on these from users as have watched numerous videos and read reviews on them all but still can't decide on which one. Pretty spendy so want to make sure only purchasing once. Any ideas of why you chose a certain release please feel free to explain and help me out with getting one picked. Thanks.

You can't really go wrong, they're all great releases. Which one is best for you depends largely on your personal preferences on geometry/finger count and jaw type. I personally wanted an open jaw and chose an Ember.

If you're open to buying secondhand, there's a thriving release market on Archery Talk. You can often find Carters for sale at 50-70% of new price, which would lessen the blow if you try one and end up not liking it.

Not to add to the list but I like my 4 finger insatiable. I got it on ArcheryTalk pretty cheap a few years ago. Mighty mouse is on point there.

trackboss

FNG
I have both the wise choice and nock 2 it. Both very nice, but wise choice has always been my favorite

Wise choice for sure with a just cuz+ behind that.

I've got an EZ I plan to use some but inital impressions are I prefer my WC. Nock 2 it is nice but I prefer a 3 finger thumb release.

I only stepped into the archery realm at the beginning of this year, but I bought a wise choice about 2 months ago. For me it was a massive improvement in consistency in anchor over my wrist strap release. I find it to be more natural and comfortable as well.

However, I find the 3rd finger position awkward. I thought I might want it for pulling back (I wasn't able to try one before buying), but it really kinda gets in the way for me. Basically, any pressure from the 3rd finger at draw causes a little bit of torque at the D loop. When only using 2 fingers, everything balances out a little better for me.

A Nock 2 It (basically just a 2 finger version) would probably be my preference if buying again. Good luck on your purchase - I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

badger109

FNG
I don't have a carter but I have Stan Just X 3 & 4 finger. I personally prefer the 4 finger. Given that, I'd pick the Too Simple which seems pretty similar.

Gumbo

WKR
If it is for hunting, you DEFINITELY want the full finger loop in my experience. It allows you to easily manipulate a rangefinder or binos with release in hand, which I just couldn't do with the non-looped releases. I also prefer jaws that close completely instead of just hooking on, which is great for stand hunting.

I've owned the Too simple, First Choice, Wise Choice, and Nock2It. The Nock2It is my favorite, even if it makes me look like a Dudley wannabe...at least you can get a gold one now instead of fanboy green.

BriderLV

FNG
If it is for hunting, you DEFINITELY want the full finger loop in my experience. It allows you to easily manipulate a rangefinder or binos with release in hand, which I just couldn't do with the non-looped releases. I also prefer jaws that close completely instead of just hooking on, which is great for stand hunting.

I've owned the Too simple, First Choice, Wise Choice, and Nock2It. The Nock2It is my favorite, even if it makes me look like a Dudley wannabe...at least you can get a gold one now instead of fanboy green.

Agreed on the full finger loop, wise choice is a "wise choice".... sorry couldn't help it

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone compared the wise choice with the just b-cuz? I’m currently shooting an insatiable 2, but want to go down to 3 fingers with an index loop. I’m used to the manual cocking of the jaw, but the auto-cocking wise choice looks like it might be a little better. Any thoughts?