Carrying Turkey decoy ideas

sivart

WKR
I hunt an area that we cover miles running and gunning on some vertical terrain. Looking for ideas to carry a decoy or two.
I use an EXO 3200 pack, typically for this hunt, but I've never tried toting a decoy. Looking for suggestions.

Have you considered not taking decoys? I honestly feel that they do more harm than good (unless you’re archery hunting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krolly

FNG
I have some that seem to never stay open and look good after I fold them for long periods. I cut a piece of wood to span the inside body and put a screw in each side. To hold them open. Makes them not pack as well but I tie off a light rope to the heads or the wood and loop over my shoulder when carrying. Works for a Tom with a mounted fan also.

I have inflatable decoys that are light and pack easily but I rarely use them. It's too much of a hassle to dig them out and inflate/deflate.

I use a collapsible foam rubber type of decoy. I rarely collapse it though because it takes a little heat to bring the shape back. I put it between the the frame and pack itself. Just pull it out when it’s needed. I have put it inside the pack as well and strapped it to the outside. A pic of my decoy and son packing his bird out. I ended up carrying the bird out after a few steps. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    675.6 KB · Views: 25
I will sometimes bring an inflatable jake and hen decoy set up with me. If I'm bringing both, I usually just deflate them as much as possible, fold them up, and put them in one of the decoy bags they came with. I will just strap this to the back of my pack using the compression straps. Keeps them contained pretty well and if you strap them down it isn't awkward to hike with - just extra weight. I like that set up better than stuffing them inside my pack with my other gear.

I stitched 2 loops into single decoy bags for my Dave smith and replica decoys. I strap one onto each side of my pack. I also have a reckoning for my kifaru and I can fit 2 decoys inside of it. Both options work well for me.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I always forget i have a snow collar. I can get the hen decoy to fit there. May have to strap the jake to the outside. May just leave it.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldnt overthink it. Just strap it fully inflated (if using inflatable) to the back of the pack. I put on quite a bit of miles and elevation this year and never knew it was there until I set up. This is it deflated while packing out my double this year.

IMG_0795.jpeg

Kurts86

WKR
I stitched 2 loops into single decoy bags for my Dave smith and replica decoys. I strap one onto each side of my pack. I also have a reckoning for my kifaru and I can fit 2 decoys inside of it. Both options work well for me.
I did a similar thing with my Avain-X decoy bags. It lets me carry a ground blind and multiple decoys in one trip for archery hunts on a Exo 3500.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
If you buy an Avian decoy they come with a carrying bag that works pretty well. It has a strap that you can throw over your shoulder and they weigh next to nothing. I have my shotgun over one shoulder and the decoy bag over the other.

IW17

FNG
Just take a jake decoy and stuff it in the pack. That's my preferred setup. Set the jake up in view of any Tom's that enter your zone, and stay back into cover where Mr Tom can't see what's making the hen noises. Once he see a Jake and hears a hen, that's usually all it takes. Usually.