Carrying rangefinder w/ Alaska Guide Creation KISS?

I'd really like to try one of Alaska Guide Creations bino packs. But I'm having trouble deciding between the KISS and C.U.B. models for my Nikon 10 x 42's. Could I carry my Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 rangefinder in the lower Max Pocket on the KISS? Or am I better off just carrying the rangefinder in it's own case on the strap next to the bino pack? I'm sure I could carry it in the front pocket of the C.U.B. But I'm not sure I'd like how far out the front pocket on the C.U.B. sticks away from my body? Trying to find the most streamlined system I can. Would love to hear some feedback from folks that have some experience with these packs.

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
I have the KISS model bino harness. The way I have my set up is just like you mentioned...Rangefinder pouch attached to lower strap on harness. It works really well and doesnt get in the way. I slide the bino harness strap through the rangefinder pouch belt loop. I then have the actual rangefinder attached to the same strap with paracord. That way if I do need to drop the rangefinder for any reason it won't hit the ground or get lost if it pops out the pouch. I tuck in the pouch lid/cover for easy access without having to snap and unsnap every time.

49FCFFEF-7BB5-4ECA-9771-E0F049C766C3_zpsamazvyrh.jpg

OP
M
Thanks Cub10. Is the Max Pocket big enough to fit your rangefinder in? Or is that just a small space for calls, etc?

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Cub10. Is the Max Pocket big enough to fit your rangefinder in? Or is that just a small space for calls, etc?

With the RF I have it would be a super tight fit for the max pocket, but I would lean towards no. Unless it was a thin one I would say maybe but I think the majority of average RF's wouldn't fit in there. I would see it as being a hassle to get the RF in and out of that pocket when you want to range something. You would have to use two hand to out it back in and take it out everytime if it were to squeeze in there.

I keep my Havalon knife, extra blades and coyote call with space to spare.

MThuntr

WKR
I have the KISS Max and a Nikon Monarch 800...i'll try to remember to see if it will fit in the bottom pouch. I put my GPS in there so it may be tight for a rangefinder

OP
M
Great info so far! So how big of a deal is it to have the front pocket sticking out farther away from your body on the Kodiak C.U.B.? I like keeping things as streamlined as possible, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on running the C.U.B. v.s. the KISS w/ a separate rangefinder case on the strap next to it. I can't decide which way I want to go!

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
Great info so far! So how big of a deal is it to have the front pocket sticking out farther away from your body on the Kodiak C.U.B.? I like keeping things as streamlined as possible, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on running the C.U.B. v.s. the KISS w/ a separate rangefinder case on the strap next to it. I can't decide which way I want to go!

From what I've seen online everybody with the AGC CUB seems to be very happy with it. I myself like to be minimal for the most part. Which is why I opted for the KISS model over the CUB. I liked how it sat closer to my body without the front pocket sticking out. the Max pocket, 2 side mesh pocket and rear zipper pocket gave me plenty of room for whatever I wanted to throw in there. With the CUB model it would feel like I had a small backpack on my chest.

Ronb

WKR
No one ever answered the op's question. I'm also curious if a rangefinder will fit in the lower max pocket of the KISS. I also wonder if a garmin rino 650 would fit in the side mesh. Pics would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Fhf rangefinder pouch works well on the AGC harness.

This is what I do as well. The pouch has a regular belt loop on back as well as a Velcro strip. The velcro strip solves the issue of the pouch sliding back along the webbing. For reference my Nikon Prostaff fits in that front C.U.B. Pocket, but it is tight. I decided to save that front pocket for a headlamp and a knife.

4c20537ba11b6975ad37f1c02d2e3d76.jpg

Ronb

WKR
Still wondering if a leica rangefinder will fit in the max pocket?

It will on the cub, but it's kinda tight. Not real easy to get it in and out. I tried both the Leica 1600 and Sig kilo 2000. They both go, but the front pocket on the cub is so much easier. About half the time I don't use the AGC harness as it is a POS as far as fitting me. I chopped and remodeled it and still don't really care for it. Most of the time I wear the pack on my shoulder straps without the lower buckles used.... In this use, if a guy was to want a separate RF puoch, he'd have to wear it on the sternum strap or modify to a shoulder strap unless the belt is used. Here's a pic of the AGC cub on the shoulder straps with a Kilo 200 in the frint pouch

d3d7c19b-91db-49a2-8350-87c916bddc1c_zpsrrhoqqin.jpg

Last edited:

Bwana

WKR
I wear my range finder in a separate pouch on all of my bino harnesses, then attach a bungee lanyard to the bottom harness strap...so I can just drop the rangefinder and it hangs beside me for a quick shot.

Ronb

WKR
Too funny. Just got an email from blackovis. Back in stock kiss max. Just ordered it. Gonna hope to make it work as the front pocket on the cub just seems to stick out too much. Kiss looks much more streamlined. Thanks all!

R_burg

WKR
This is what I do as well. The pouch has a regular belt loop on back as well as a Velcro strip. The velcro strip solves the issue of the pouch sliding back along the webbing. For reference my Nikon Prostaff fits in that front C.U.B. Pocket, but it is tight. I decided to save that front pocket for a headlamp and a knife.

Same here, I didnt know that there was a better Rangefinder pouch for this application than the stock one. I think I will keep an eye out for someone selling one.

Thanks!

Bwana

WKR
Same here, I didnt know that there was a better Rangefinder pouch for this application than the stock one. I think I will keep an eye out for someone selling one.

Thanks!

FHF, Badlands, Hornhunter all make nice RF pouches based on the size needed, then attach a 12" lanyard that will stretch to 36"...for sighting target & dropping at side...at least that's what I do.

tracker12

WKR
FHF pouch is vey nice and holds my RF on the side next to my Bino pouch. I sure don't want to be digging for a RF.

Ronb

WKR
So for anyone who's interested. A small leica rangefinder will not fit in the max pocket. I'll need the cub or probably going to order the hybrid.

Speeddmn

FNG
I use the Maxx CUB, binos in their area, tags/id in the back pocket, vortex 1000 in the front pocket, chapstick, headlamp and knife in bottom maxx pocket, garmin etrex20 in one side pocket, wind checker in the other side pocket.

all I need to "kill" something on my chest!