Caribou Trip - 2024

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back this morning from an AK caribou hunt. Totally stellar . I did not get a bull down unfortunately, but got into them every day and went to full draw several times.

Anyways, I decided to write down everything I learned, in a single spot, to make it easier for others. If you'd like to see it, PM me and I can send it your way.

Last edited:
2 years ago when I was up there, I got a small meat bull on day 8, last day, but still, having real stalks and drawing back like you said pretty much everyday, it was probably the most fun I have had hunting in years. Still a great trip even if you didn't arrow one I hope

Please don't post it. Everyone is spot burning my caribou area. Gets old, if I was to make a post on the lower 48 regarding a unit it would get axed right away.

#stopspotburningalaska
But people don't care to spot burn or give up the goods when it's not in their neighborhood. Talking about thr Dalton is no different then talking a specific unit in thr lesser 48.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Please don't post it. Everyone is spot burning my caribou area. Gets old, if I was to make a post on the lower 48 regarding a unit it would get axed right away.

#stopspotburningalaska

The haul road hunt is going to take a beating with Nelchina shut down and 40 mile getting close to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
The haul road hunt is going to take a beating with Nelchina shut down and 40 mile getting close to it.

Maybe. But that tundra up there makes it one and done for most people. All those sissy’s that think they’ve seen tundra in the 40 mile country or on their Canadian bou hunts have no idea what real tundra walking is like.

They hammered the wolves last winter in 13. If we’re lucky to get a few nice springs and winters we might see a Nelchina hunt again. 🤞

wyosam

WKR
Maybe. But that tundra up there makes it one and done for most people. All those sissy’s that think they’ve seen tundra in the 40 mile country or on their Canadian bou hunts have no idea what real tundra walking is like.

They hammered the wolves last winter in 13. If we’re lucky to get a few nice springs and winters we might see a Nelchina hunt again.

I little mellower winter or two would sure help!

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

It was noticeable this year for sure. I met lots of people who had never hunted the haul road before. Usually it's a lot thinner up there. Now as soon as you spot an animal, 2 more trucks pull up behind you and 6 guys jump out and go running off on the tundra towards the herd.