Career options

Teaman1

WKR
Considering going back to school (I’m 28) just looking for ideas on average to good paying jobs that would allow a guy enough vacation to do a hunting trip or two (out of state) each fall

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Thought about that one a few times. Totally unrelated haha, but I started to get a nursing degree a couple years back, but have been thinking power lineman lately

Thought about that one a few times. Totally unrelated haha, but I started to get a nursing degree a couple years back, but have been thinking power lineman lately

I know a few nurses, they all get 6 weeks a year pto, sick time and personal days. Physically the work isn’t backbreaking either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of job in the insurance industry. Some you can almost pick your schedule. I’m finishing up my MBA right now to try and move up.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I'm the Rapid Response nurse at my hospital. The days can be hectic but you work in 70 degree weather all year round with great vacation time. I would do it all over again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kiddogy

WKR
Im an RN-Paramedic in an ER and work 3-12's. We do self scheduling and i do a lot of 6 days on 8 days off and get ~175 hours pto a year. Its not physically back-breaking work but can be mentally draining. Its a great job.
as one who has spent a lot of time in hospitals in the past few years , I would say it is certainly not for everyone . I certainly couldn't do it and have nothing but the utmost respect for those who can!

some think nurses are very well paid,. IMHO , they are not, even if the wages were doubled.

Registered Nurse. I picked my career based on how many days off a year I get. Like BradArnett said, You can schedule 8 days off without taking a single hour of PTO. If you decide to take PTO, 14 days off in a row is normal for taking 36 hours PTO. As far as pay, it is not uncommon for nurses to work a little OT and make 6 figures.

Personally I work in an ED and fly for a air ambulance company. In an average year ill do 3-4 out of state hunts. The Emergency setting actually attracts a lot of male nurses that like to do things outdoors. Finding a hunting buddy with a similar schedule not difficult.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 8 years working in the corporate world. The pay was great, but sitting at a desk/computer all day and night was killing my soul. I am now a firefighter and love it. I work a 48 hours, then have 96 hours off. By taking one set (48 hours) off, I get 10 straight days off. It's rewarding (and stressful work) with an amazing schedule.

Trr15

WKR
Tons of job in the insurance industry. Some you can almost pick your schedule. I’m finishing up my MBA right now to try and move up.
Technology and automation are really changing the landscape of the insurance industry. I've been in a corporate position with a large carrier for over 15 years, and things are changing rapidly. Not to say there aren't viable career paths, but they're going to be different than they've been in the past. OP - I'd suggest considering a degree in a technology field.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Wow, I was under the impression that most nurses got 2 weeks annual vacation
Nah.

Like the others have said you can get more than that. If you self schedule you can block your days where you work 6 or 7 on then have 6 or 7 off. Plus vacation time if you like.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I might just have to pick back up on that path then. I’m kind of an odd duck. Not overly mechanically knowledgeable but I enjoy physical labor. I do well with school work and for some reason, most people tell me they think I’d be a good nurse

kiddogy

WKR
I might just have to pick back up on that path then. I’m kind of an odd duck. Not overly mechanically knowledgeable but I enjoy physical labor. I do well with school work and for some reason, most people tell me they think I’d be a good nurse
are you compassionate? do you care about people? if so , you would make a great nurse. if not , find another path.

If you want a job with a ton of vacation time available for hunting then I’d go for something in the public sector. I know a bunch of guys that are State DOT workers that get paid very well, and take the majority of the fall off to hunt.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
If looking at nursing I’d suggest travel nurse. Make almost six figures a year, can change assignments every 13 weeks, get to see different parts of the country but can stay a resident in a good hunting state. Labor and delivery and med surge are the ones my wife saw the most when she was looking around.