Career for Outdoorsmen

I am seeking advice from you guys on what careers allow opportunities to enjoy hunting and fishing. I am a recent college graduate, and would like to see what everyone does for a living?

I used to be a fly fishing and hunting guide, but at times it took away from my own enjoyment in the sport I loved.

JWP58

WKR
Its nice to work 4-10's and have 3 day weekends....burn one day of vacation and you've got a 4 day weekend.

I would say whatever you do, just take a look at your accrued vacation time, and how easy it is to use it. No point in having time to take if you cant take it.

boom

WKR
I am seeking advice from you guys on what careers allow opportunities to enjoy hunting and fishing. I am a recent college graduate, and would like to see what everyone does for a living?

I used to be a fly fishing and hunting guide, but at times it took away from my own enjoyment in the sport I loved.

you really should tell us what your degree is in.

JWP58

WKR
you really should tell us what your degree is in.

Eh, I have a degree in exercise science and work in a completely unrelated field. Sometimes just having a degree is whats needed, they couldn't careless what its in. However if he wants to use that degree, ya it would be helpful....

Find a job that is shift work. I work 4 on, 4 off and get 6 weeks holidays. Lots of time to hunt, fish, camp, ect and do guiding part time. It has also given me time to do taxidermy part time as well. The biggest bonus of shift work is your not relying on long weekends when every other joe has time off.

Eh, I have a degree in exercise science and work in a completely unrelated field. Sometimes just having a degree is whats needed, they couldn't careless what its in. However if he wants to use that degree, ya it would be helpful....
I have the same degree! I do work in a cardiac rehab program.

SDHNTR

WKR
get a sales job and kill it. Then you get to make your own hours. If your numbers are good enough, no one tells you what to do.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am an RN in cardiac care, I work 12 hour shifts in a hospital. I can't say enough about the benefits of shift work for allowing time off for hunting and outdoor pursuits. For most RNs and other hospital staff (at least up here), shifts are 12 hours and full time is 3 12 hr shifts each week (36 hrs total). By working the first three day and the last three days of a two week pay period (Sun,Mon, Tues the first week, and thurs, fir, sat of the next) it is possible to get 8 days off in the middle without using any leave. Couple that with almost 7 weeks a year in accrued paid vacation time, and it's easier to get big chunks of time off than in other professions. I am now in an "on call/as needed" RN position that allows me even more flexibility.

Luke works 12 hour shifts in the oilfield, 14 days on and 14 days off. I usually work a bunch of days at my job while he is away, and don't work much when he is off so that we can have time off together. It means we both end up working a lot of weekends and holidays when our friends and family are off, but the trade off is having a lot of big chunks of time for backpacking/hiking/pack rafting/ hunting. Shift work isn't for everyone, but it is a great way to get time off to pursue outdoor activities.

Stay away from oil and gas. You don't get any time to hunt or fish. Well if you work for a service company. I have wondered the same thing you are though. I think everyone who enjoys the outdoors goes through that. I do however work 10 on 4 off. That does make a nice weekend but it sucks when you can't hunt every weekend.

OP
Highcountry_Hellrazor
Construction Management

I have been out for a year and was working for a very large civil engineering company. Hardly had time to do anything 6 to 7 days a week. They laid off all of their young engineers due to lack of work.. Right after all my hunting seasons were over and before Christmas sure was a nice present.

Buster

WKR
Find a job that is shift work. I work 4 on, 4 off and get 6 weeks holidays. Lots of time to hunt, fish, camp, ect and do guiding part time. It has also given me time to do taxidermy part time as well. The biggest bonus of shift work is your not relying on long weekends when every other joe has time off.

X2. I have an economics degree, but bend wires for a living cause I work way less than half the days a year on 4x4 shifts plus vacation.

Curtis C

WKR
I wouldn't worry much about the type of career your looking into, but would focus on an employment negotiation plan for whatever job offers you apply for and consider. During the interview process let them know about your hobbies and passion. Make sure they know you will work your tail off/cover a few extra shifts during the off season and in return you will need 3 or 4 long scouting weekends in July and Aug and then 2-3 weeks off during Sept-Oct or whatever seasons you hunt.

Some may say screw you we set our hours, then you know thats not the company you want to work for anyway. You will find one that says, Hey we can make that work, I/we hunt also and understand that value of your time off.

TEmbry

WKR
I'll be graduating with my PharmD to practice Pharmacy soon, and am running into the same issues. The most money is in retail where you are lucky to work up to 3 weeks of vacation. Bump that.

I've settled my sights on a job working in uniformed service. Great benefits, and SIX WEEKS of paid time off make up for the sub par pay. Many facilities offer 4 tens with a SDO weekly or a 7 on 7 off schedule. I'd jump at either as a young, single guy with no kids.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Any job with an equal time off for time on schedule is awesome. I work 14 days on 14 days off, used to work 7 and 7. When I take a two week hitch off I get a total of six weeks off. I'm an engineer on the Alaska ferry though so it's like oil field work I'm gone completely when working. Like other people have said there are many ways to do it 4 10's with a good pile of paid time off would be ok too. Or at the very worst 5 days a week with lots of leave and the understanding that you are unavailable a certain time of year. I don't know if I could work 5 days a week again...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Military as an officer. Do your 20 and retire at an early age when you can still hunt and fish all you want. Or you could do part time work and still hunt and fish all you want. Ya, it's a royal pain during the 20 years.......but hey, working the rest of your life blows too.

Wildlife Biologist would be awesome. I've seen jobs open in various states. Depending on your specific job you could basically scout all the time.

My undergrad degree is in wildlife biology, it is nearly impossible to find a job, especially without a masters. When you do find one, it is rarely where you want to be and you are going to make peanuts. Yes, it is great to be outside, but your busiest time of year is when you want to take time off.

Invest in yourself, get a masters or graduate degree in something. You will be glad in the long run. I am an optometrist, it took 4 years of grad school after my BS in undergrad. I am self employed and make decent money for the low stress/good hours that I work. I take as many days off as i feel like i can, I can even find fill in doctors to work when I am out so my optical is making money while i am gone... bonus haha.

Optometry is a great career, but any of the allied health type of jobs would be great for your lifestyle. Physical therapy, pharmD, psych, podiatry, audiology, dentistry, respiratory therapist, RN.... all take 2-4 years post grad, but you can get student loans easily. It is an investment that you will NEVER REGRET.

If I could do it over again I would probably do dentistry, mostly because I like the small surgical procedures a lot and you dont have to deal with online glasses and contact lens sales bs.

Joe

I don't know wyobowhunter21 I work for a large gathering and treating company I work seven on seven off and also get five weeks vacation. I get lots of time to hunt. Shift work is not for everyone though and sometimes the seven on is a drag, but having that following week off always gives me something to look forward to.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fireman, 2 on 4 off and plenty of people to do trades with. I took the whole month of January off with only burning 2 days of leave out of my banks.