Carbon Tipi Poles

TAG22

FNG
I picked up a used Seek Outside Cimarron. No tipi pole included, so I am in the market for one. Before I go with the Seek Outside pole, does anyone prefer a different brand that may be better? Thanks in advance!

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
for small tipis like this i have been cutting a pole on site. carry an old glove to put over the top of the pole.
Thanks! That is a great idea. Have you used trekking poles for smaller tipis?

Beendare

WKR
Heck, I made a tipi that takes a 7’6-8’ pole and I almost always cut a pole for it. I have a string cut to length I use to measure it in the field packed with the tipi.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use a carbon pole as if you get your stove cherry red too close to the pole your tipi will come down on your head.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
Heck, I made a tipi that takes a 7’6-8’ pole and I almost always cut a pole for it. I have a string cut to length I use to measure it in the field packed with the tipi.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use a carbon pole as if you get your stove cherry red too close to the pole your tipi will come down on your head.
I see, ok good info! Do you think there could be better alternative poles to use material wise?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Argali sells adjustable poles. I'll be the black sheep here and say for my shelter setup I don't want to be dicking around trying to find a decent branch and cut it to the right length, for a couple extra ounces to have my tipi pitched and tight when I set it up is worth it.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
Argali sells adjustable poles. I'll be the black sheep here and say for my shelter setup I don't want to be dicking around trying to find a decent branch and cut it to the right length, for a couple extra ounces to have my tipi pitched and tight when I set it up is worth it.
Given I’m new to the tipi game, I am thinking I’ll end up with a pole of some sort. I have looked at the argali ones and they are more budget friendly, I am just not certain if going the more budget route is worth it.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Given I’m new to the tipi game, I am thinking I’ll end up with a pole of some sort. I have looked at the argali ones and they are more budget friendly, I am just not certain if going the more budget route is worth it.
I have an Argali setup and like it so far, just don't have a ton of use on it yet. The pole seems quality and I don't think they'd leave you hanging if you had issues, the owner is on here and engages about products as well.

rayporter

WKR
no to the trekking pole.

we got pretty good at cutting a pole for a six man or an 8 man.
while i went in the tipi Sam would send in a pole about the right length or a few inches too long. i would send it out if it needed an inch or two cut off. if an inch too short we used a rock under it.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
I have an Argali setup and like it so far, just don't have a ton of use on it yet. The pole seems quality and I don't think they'd leave you hanging if you had issues, the owner is on here and engages about products as well.
Oh ok good to know thanks! I was looking at an Argali tipi, but I did get a nice deal on a SO Cimarron. I will maybe consider the Argali pole!

Beendare

WKR
I see, ok good info! Do you think there could be better alternative poles to use material wise?

Aluminum or carbon...just be careful getting the stove or pipe too close to either.

Use a wood pole and there is no worry about heat wrecking the pole....plus it's less to carry.

I saw one guy who turned his aluminum pole into a noodle from his stove pipe being too close.

Aluminum or carbon...just be careful getting the stove or pipe too close to either.

Use a wood pole and there is no worry about heat wrecking the pole....plus it's less to carry.

I saw one guy who turned his aluminum pole into a noodle from his stove pipe being too close.
Pardon the uninformed question, I have never had my stove pipe get that hot. Is it normal to get the pipes red hot on the exhaust? I use a Winnerwell nomad and make a conscious effort to not allow it to get that hot. Will I damage the stove and exhaust by getting it that hot?
I run a tipi with an aluminum pole but never thought of collapsing it because of heat.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the pipe and stove are not red hot are you even using a hot tent🤣 they are designed to be red just don’t touch them. Warped my carbon Redcliff pole last yr was covered under warranty. As noted cutting a pole is often a better option and makes it easier to hang item on to dry unless running a line.

My tent was t shirt inside and -25c outside, we would cook ourselves out of the tent 🤣
3 weeks till hunting, I will try it again next month and see if it glows.

Beendare

WKR
Pardon the uninformed question, I have never had my stove pipe get that hot. Is it normal to get the pipes red hot on the exhaust? I use a Winnerwell nomad and make a conscious effort to not allow it to get that hot. Will I damage the stove and exhaust by getting it that hot?
I run a tipi with an aluminum pole but never thought of collapsing it because of heat.
It's a good idea to keep your pole 10" or more away from the stove and pipe.

I have had my stoves cherry red many times....I prefer not to as I think it shortens the life of the stove.

The metal can handle it...just not many, many times. I think what screws these shim stock stoves up the most is when creosote builds up on them and then you keep getting it cherry red- that creosote eats through the metal.

SonnyDay

WKR
I'll be the black sheep here and say for my shelter setup I don't want to be dicking around trying to find a decent branch and cut it to the right length, for a couple extra ounces to have my tipi pitched and tight when I set it up is worth it.
Totally agree. We often set up in dark, windy, and/or snowy conditions, and often near treeline. I have the SO Carbon pole for my 6-man SO tipi.

We roll the stove hot... but try to keep at least a foot between the stove and the pole.

I keep a piece of aluminum foil in the stove bag to wrap around the pole if I am worried about heat.

nick2021

FNG
yes, your pole WILL warp/bend....and being in Alaska for 10 days, it can really suck. Take it from somebody who never used a wood stove until my first time last year on a moose hunt...as somebody said earlier, try and keep 10" away or more

nick2021

FNG
I was going to try this when I go back in two weeks for another moose hunt, does this work? I thought about getting a cheap windshield cover and simply trimming....either way, don't want another warped pole this hunt compared to last year lol
Totally agree. We often set up in dark, windy, and/or snowy conditions, and often near treeline. I have the SO Carbon pole for my 6-man SO tipi.

We roll the stove hot... but try to keep at least a foot between the stove and the pole.

I keep a piece of aluminum foil in the stove bag to wrap around the pole if I am worried about heat.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used a stove in mine yet. But the alps aluminum tent pole works well for my SO silvertip (56") and Nemo pentalite (72"). Don't have the luxury of having poles to cut in all of my camp spots

SonnyDay

WKR
I was going to try this when I go back in two weeks for another moose hunt, does this work? I thought about getting a cheap windshield cover and simply trimming....either way, don't want another warped pole this hunt compared to last year lol
I think if you keep your carbon pole a foot away or more you will be fine. But the aluminum foil is cheap insurance…