Carbon Rifle Stock Review

Spence

FNG
I thought it would be a nice review to have a few Carbon rifle stocks to compare side by side. I recently acquired a Peak 44 carbon stock and though about how it stacks up against a few others that I have.
Peak 44 Carbon
McMillan A3 Edge technology carbon
Manners MCS-T Elite Tac carbon fiber stock
AG Alpine hunter Carbon
AG Alpine hunter Adjustable Carbon

I will start off with saying, I don't believe that anyone is going to have a poor experience with any of these stocks. These are all mine and I paid for them all. So there is no bias for any of them. My goal was to build a very lightweight rifle for my dad in Wyoming while he is hunting deer and elk in some of the steepest and nastiest stuff in region G. He shoots a Cooper Excalibur in a 7Rem mag topped with a Zeiss 3-18x50. It does have a muzzle break from Cooper added to the rifle. That rifle is his go to hunting rifle. Problem is, at 69 years old and really don't pull the trigger very much anymore as its JUST NOT QUITE BIG ENOUGH. Well I know that he loves his ARMED MARCHES, so why not build him a lightweight stick vs the bigger heavier one.
I settled on a 280 AI for the caliber, Remington action that got skeletonized huge, Zeiss scope, Proof Research carbon barrel, Timney trigger. Now I needed the right stock to make this rifle come to life.
Peak 44 had an advertisement for a fast delivery date and I met JD from Peak 44 at the expo in SLC. Needless to say, I had a stock heading my way to find out if this indeed would be the stock for the Lightweight Wyoming Rifle. I started the rifle build, and in less than 60 days, I had my Peak 44 stock. Now the comparison starts. As stated earlier, Not one of these stocks disappoints. However there are some differences in them. I will post pics of all the stocks in a few different angles.
I have a custom 28 nosler with AG Alpine hunter stock utilizing a Proof Research barrel. My dad really likes the weight and balance of the rifle. This is what spurred getting him his Wyoming Rifle.
Time frames for getting the stocks

Manners 7 months
AG Alpine Hunter 5 months
AG adjustable Hunter 6.5 months
McMillan 8 months
Peak 44 under 2 months

I will state that shooting with a standard wood 700 BDL stock vs EVERY carbon stock, the carbon was absolutely better. Less vibration, better groups and a better geometry for shooting off a bench. Especially the McMillan and AG stocks. That vertical grip in those situations are better IMO. Once in the Carbon stock the rifle performed fantastic and performance one vs the other was indistinguishable. For standing shooting and classic feel the Peak 44 was the best and I love the thumb rest area. With the Manners right on its heals.
Fit, Finish and Inletting. Peak 44 was the best, AG Hunter then the Manners, AG adjustable, then the McMillan.
When you look at the recoil pad, The AG stocks have the softest most forgiving pads, McMillan and Manners are just a touch harder on my stocks and the Peak 44 with the new Hex 3d, I wanted to try it, was definitely the hardest pad of the bunch. But surprisingly, The Hex 3d had a soft edge and a great contour aiding in recoil reduction. I will say that not one of these stocks have that KICK pain to them as the rifle is running a titanium side port 4 break from rockslide and its in a 280 AI. Not a big recoil rifle caliber.

I will put picks of the final outcome of the rifle pics on here as well.
Pricing was IMO close enough to justify whatever brand you wanted. What I mean is that if you are building a custom rifle get the stock you want and not worry about that little extra for a certain brand or color. Its custom, so making it your custom is important. That being said, All of the companies make a great assortment of colors and styles, pick the one that you want.

The inletting on the Peak 44 around the trigger guard and magazine area was perfect. Zero need to do anything except put it together. Like it was actually built for the bottom metal. AG was very close on both models but I did need to do a tiny bit of stock removal in the forward screw area to hold the recoil lug in place on the adjustable one. Manners was great as well just not finished off quite as nice as the first 3. Then there was the McMillan. I truly was surprise with the inside of the stock. Around where the magazine box lives. I also needed to do a bit of light inletting on the bottom metal areas to even the floorplate up. Dont get me wrong, it still fit great, just comparing them with a fine tooth comb is where you see a few differences.

I Hope that the pictures will show what I have stated. If you have any questions on any of these stocks, please hit me up as they are all top notch stocks.
One thing that I will state. I hate when there are comparisons and they really don't declare a winner. Well I will do just that.

For a lightweight, Carbon stock. The Wyoming Lightweight rifle will be getting the Peak 44
It has the absolute best inletting, Best fit and finish, Great Paint color scheme and was the lightest weight. Note on this, Not one was heavy at all. Only a few ounces separated them. But the Peak 44 was under 20 OZ.

IMO the AG Alpine Hunter and the McMillan were close seconds
Then the AG Adjustable followed by the McMillan
It actually surprised me with where the McMillan landed. They build a fantastic stock and I shoot a few of them. With the fast turnaround and from what I can gather after shooting and eyeing them all up close, I will be talking to JD from Peak 44 again.

Just for reference
Red stock AG Alpine Hunter
Solid Black Carbon McMillan
White, Gray camo carbon Peak 44
Green and tan camo carbon Manners
Adjustable carbon AG Alpine Hunter adjustable

Spence

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9186.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9186.jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 453
  • thumbnail_IMG_9189.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9189.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 423
  • thumbnail_IMG_9188.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9188.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 304
  • thumbnail_IMG_9187.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9187.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 291
  • thumbnail_IMG_9211.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9211.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 257
  • thumbnail_IMG_9210.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9210.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 237
  • thumbnail_IMG_9209.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9209.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 244
  • thumbnail_IMG_9208.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9208.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 265
  • thumbnail_67518398389__00CDF61A-7EBD-4676-B3F5-5FC1F771FFCA.jpg
    thumbnail_67518398389__00CDF61A-7EBD-4676-B3F5-5FC1F771FFCA.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 428
OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
More Pics

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9200.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9200.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 128
  • thumbnail_IMG_9201.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9201.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 121
  • thumbnail_IMG_9190.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9190.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 117
  • thumbnail_IMG_9191.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9191.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 119
  • thumbnail_IMG_9192.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9192.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 122
  • thumbnail_IMG_9193.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9193.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 122
  • thumbnail_IMG_9197.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9197.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 124
  • thumbnail_IMG_9196.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9196.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 123
  • thumbnail_IMG_9195.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9195.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 113
  • thumbnail_IMG_9194.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9194.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 130
OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
A few more

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8617.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8617.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 77
  • thumbnail_IMG_8616.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8616.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 68
  • thumbnail_IMG_9199.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9199.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 67
  • thumbnail_IMG_9198.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9198.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 88
  • thumbnail_IMG_9205.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9205.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 96
  • thumbnail_IMG_9204.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9204.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 90
  • thumbnail_IMG_9203.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9203.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 73
  • thumbnail_IMG_9202.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9202.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 75
  • thumbnail_IMG_9207.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9207.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail_IMG_9206.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9206.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 77
OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
Last few of the PEAK 44

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8622.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8622.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 112
  • thumbnail_IMG_8612.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8612.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 101
  • thumbnail_IMG_8623.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8623.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 99
  • thumbnail_IMG_8621.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8621.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 100
  • thumbnail_IMG_8620.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8620.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 109
  • thumbnail_IMG_8615.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8615.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 106
  • thumbnail_IMG_8614.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8614.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 108
  • thumbnail_IMG_8619.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8619.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 112

TxLite

WKR
I might’ve missed it, but did you glass bed the peak44 like the recommend? It looks like it was bedded

OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
Yes I have glass bedded the Peak 44. I glass bed every stock that I can as I believe in the value of doing so.
When I did mine, I actually took my Dremel tool with a small point and make a few dimples type holes to help keep the epoxy more solid in the stock. I have done that to many stocks. Probably don't need to but I feel a bit better doing so. My glass bedding technique is pretty similar to the video they have on YouTube.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review! I would like to see rifles shot without the brake to see if any differences are detected with how the stocks suck up the recoil.

OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
McMillan was 24.6 oz
Manners was 28.3 oz
AG Alpine Hunter 30.2 oz
AG Adjustable Hunter 38.1 oz
Peak 44 Blacktooth 19.5 oz

These are the numbers that I got from my stocks. I have no doubt that there will be an oz or two difference from stock to stock. Plus the difference in styles and configurations will make a difference in the overall weights.

As for shooting them all again without the break, I will try. Might take a bit as there is a little work involved and a days worth of driving and shooting.

Thanks,
Spence

OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
Here is the finished product
Zeiss 4-16x44
Talley Rings and base combo
Proof 24" Light Sendero 1-8
Rockslide 4 port self timing titanium break
Peak 44 Blacktooth carbon stock
Remington Action Skeletonized, Bolt handle holes, Aluminum bolt handle and rear bolt, side bolt release, fluted bolt, M16 extractor, Custom engraving, Nitride finish and Timney the hit trigger.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3877.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3877.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 231
  • thumbnail_IMG_3878.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3878.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 188
  • thumbnail_IMG_3879.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3879.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 181
  • thumbnail_IMG_3882.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3882.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 186
  • thumbnail_IMG_3883.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3883.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 181
  • thumbnail_IMG_3884.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3884.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 178
  • thumbnail_IMG_3880.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3880.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 170
  • thumbnail_IMG_3881.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3881.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 217
  • thumbnail_IMG_3876.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3876.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 234

BBob

WKR
They look good but website is fubar. Home page won’t open and only about half of it is working. Weird descriptions for action length and barrel inlet options not well defined in order process.

Last edited:
OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
I will have to look. I haven't tried to look at the website. I do know that while I was at the expo, JD from Peak 44 was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Maybe give them a call, Sorry.

OP
Spence

Spence

FNG
I will agree. I just might have the itch to order myself up one to try out. A few of the colors might look really cool with a few cerecote options as well. Plus looking at the website, it appears to be working just fine on my end. I wonder if it had a glitch or maybe some maintenance going on. I have zero idea with computer stuff though.

I thought it would be a nice review to have a few Carbon rifle stocks to compare side by side. I recently acquired a Peak 44 carbon stock and though about how it stacks up against a few others that I have.
Peak 44 Carbon
McMillan A3 Edge technology carbon
Manners MCS-T Elite Tac carbon fiber stock
AG Alpine hunter Carbon
AG Alpine hunter Adjustable Carbon

I will start off with saying, I don't believe that anyone is going to have a poor experience with any of these stocks. These are all mine and I paid for them all. So there is no bias for any of them. My goal was to build a very lightweight rifle for my dad in Wyoming while he is hunting deer and elk in some of the steepest and nastiest stuff in region G. He shoots a Cooper Excalibur in a 7Rem mag topped with a Zeiss 3-18x50. It does have a muzzle break from Cooper added to the rifle. That rifle is his go to hunting rifle. Problem is, at 69 years old and really don't pull the trigger very much anymore as its JUST NOT QUITE BIG ENOUGH. Well I know that he loves his ARMED MARCHES, so why not build him a lightweight stick vs the bigger heavier one.
I settled on a 280 AI for the caliber, Remington action that got skeletonized huge, Zeiss scope, Proof Research carbon barrel, Timney trigger. Now I needed the right stock to make this rifle come to life.
Peak 44 had an advertisement for a fast delivery date and I met JD from Peak 44 at the expo in SLC. Needless to say, I had a stock heading my way to find out if this indeed would be the stock for the Lightweight Wyoming Rifle. I started the rifle build, and in less than 60 days, I had my Peak 44 stock. Now the comparison starts. As stated earlier, Not one of these stocks disappoints. However there are some differences in them. I will post pics of all the stocks in a few different angles.
I have a custom 28 nosler with AG Alpine hunter stock utilizing a Proof Research barrel. My dad really likes the weight and balance of the rifle. This is what spurred getting him his Wyoming Rifle.
Time frames for getting the stocks

Manners 7 months
AG Alpine Hunter 5 months
AG adjustable Hunter 6.5 months
McMillan 8 months
Peak 44 under 2 months

I will state that shooting with a standard wood 700 BDL stock vs EVERY carbon stock, the carbon was absolutely better. Less vibration, better groups and a better geometry for shooting off a bench. Especially the McMillan and AG stocks. That vertical grip in those situations are better IMO. Once in the Carbon stock the rifle performed fantastic and performance one vs the other was indistinguishable. For standing shooting and classic feel the Peak 44 was the best and I love the thumb rest area. With the Manners right on its heals.
Fit, Finish and Inletting. Peak 44 was the best, AG Hunter then the Manners, AG adjustable, then the McMillan.
When you look at the recoil pad, The AG stocks have the softest most forgiving pads, McMillan and Manners are just a touch harder on my stocks and the Peak 44 with the new Hex 3d, I wanted to try it, was definitely the hardest pad of the bunch. But surprisingly, The Hex 3d had a soft edge and a great contour aiding in recoil reduction. I will say that not one of these stocks have that KICK pain to them as the rifle is running a titanium side port 4 break from rockslide and its in a 280 AI. Not a big recoil rifle caliber.

I will put picks of the final outcome of the rifle pics on here as well.
Pricing was IMO close enough to justify whatever brand you wanted. What I mean is that if you are building a custom rifle get the stock you want and not worry about that little extra for a certain brand or color. Its custom, so making it your custom is important. That being said, All of the companies make a great assortment of colors and styles, pick the one that you want.

The inletting on the Peak 44 around the trigger guard and magazine area was perfect. Zero need to do anything except put it together. Like it was actually built for the bottom metal. AG was very close on both models but I did need to do a tiny bit of stock removal in the forward screw area to hold the recoil lug in place on the adjustable one. Manners was great as well just not finished off quite as nice as the first 3. Then there was the McMillan. I truly was surprise with the inside of the stock. Around where the magazine box lives. I also needed to do a bit of light inletting on the bottom metal areas to even the floorplate up. Dont get me wrong, it still fit great, just comparing them with a fine tooth comb is where you see a few differences.

I Hope that the pictures will show what I have stated. If you have any questions on any of these stocks, please hit me up as they are all top notch stocks.
One thing that I will state. I hate when there are comparisons and they really don't declare a winner. Well I will do just that.

For a lightweight, Carbon stock. The Wyoming Lightweight rifle will be getting the Peak 44
It has the absolute best inletting, Best fit and finish, Great Paint color scheme and was the lightest weight. Note on this, Not one was heavy at all. Only a few ounces separated them. But the Peak 44 was under 20 OZ.

IMO the AG Alpine Hunter and the McMillan were close seconds
Then the AG Adjustable followed by the McMillan
It actually surprised me with where the McMillan landed. They build a fantastic stock and I shoot a few of them. With the fast turnaround and from what I can gather after shooting and eyeing them all up close, I will be talking to JD from Peak 44 again.

Just for reference
Red stock AG Alpine Hunter
Solid Black Carbon McMillan
White, Gray camo carbon Peak 44
Green and tan camo carbon Manners
Adjustable carbon AG Alpine Hunter adjustable

Spence
Spence,
I'm with AG Composites. Thanks for the feedback. It's good to hear an in depth review such as this. Happy hunting!

Matt