Carbon Fiber Barrel Comparison

. The barrel is light but stiff. I have not experienced an issue in a match with heat mirage at all. If they had heat mirage after three rounds and started throwing shots after one stage nobody would be using them in matches lol.
I've shot some big matches up until the manufactured covid supply crisis, and you're the first dude of ever heard of shooting a match with a CF barrel..

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
That flared out steel barrel is really ugly. I have had good luck with CA barrels and Carbon 6. I have had buddies shoot just about all CF barrels. Proof was probably the least consistent from what I have seen. CA seems to be the most accurate that I have seen. I have a factory MPR that shoots sub .5-.7. I do like that a CF barrel is not really hot to the touch compared to a steel barrel as well. CA would get my vote. Good luck on your build!

I had my smith stuff a 24” proof carbon sendero contour into a cz 527 American grendel and it added 10 oz, shot way tighter (half minute 500 yards hornady black) and was much faster too, 2552 fps factory 23.5” barrel and I got 2605 fps out of the proof. Hope that helps. Would I do it again? Prolly not

I've shot some big matches up until the manufactured covid supply crisis, and you're the first dude of ever heard of shooting a match with a CF barrel..
NRL Hunter and any match that you have to ruck. I mainly shoot steel but I have shot a PRS match with carbon and seen others do the same. Also have a close friend that shoots 3 gun carbon.

Could be referencing a hunter match. Carbon is fairly popular in those.
Good point
I'm talking PRS, if anyone's using CF for those high rate of fire matches its a small enough number to be statistically insignificant.
Like maybe a guy trying it out and just using what he has.
This is because CF offers zero benefit over a #3 contour barrel for cooling, stiffness, etc.

ID_Matt

WKR
Good point
I'm talking PRS, if anyone's using CF for those high rate of fire matches its a small enough number to be statistically insignificant.
Like maybe a guy trying it out and just using what he has.
This is because CF offers zero benefit over a #3 contour barrel for cooling, stiffness, etc.
That may have something to do with it. Don't see many #3 contours either. Or it is because most guys shooting PRS are using truck axle contours and planning on going through a barrel a year or so. Carbon is advertised as lightweight, most PRS guys are looking for the opposite of lightweight.

^ what he said. You are at a bit of a disadvantage when your 15 lbs rifle is competing against the dude lugging around his 27 lbs truck axle. The barrel can absolutely handle the rate of fire and perform stellar but a traditional PRS match is geared toward running sturdy and heavy rifles. The other huge reason you only see steel in matches is just cost. I shoot enough through practice and matches to burn out my steel barrels fairly quick. It is more affordable to have a couple steel barrels on hand to replace than carbon.

Last edited:

AkRyan

WKR
I've personally spoken with barrel makers from Benchmark, and Rock Creek about their CF offerings, and both reps said exactly what I posted. That's why Bartlein uses a #4 contour as a blank, they've tested this and won't go any skinnier.
Sorry if this hurts your feelings
I know you don't want to hear it, but do some more research and you'll see that the guys on here with actual experience are giving you good info.
BTW another thing I disliked about my CF barrel was the insane heat mirage after about 3 shots, take that into consideration as well.. Or don't it makes no difference to me
How is there heat mirage if the carbon is holding the heat in the barrel? These two statements literally can't add up.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
I get the steel is stiffer at the same weight of carbon. Not really sure stiffness matters cold either though. I’d be curious to see or compare distortion of the two when exposed to heat. The CF barrels may have less distortion from heat than thicker steel barrels. All cylinders will have a stiff plane or spine. CF barrels have two different materials competing for planes/spines. I may be wrong also lol. But in my mind, for a hunter, the cold bore vs heat barrel consistency (distortion of center ) is what is important. Fully conceding a giant steel bull barrel mitigates all of it. But I’m not hunting with that.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I get the steel is stiffer at the same weight of carbon. Not really sure stiffness matters cold either though. I’d be curious to see or compare distortion of the two when exposed to heat. The CF barrels may have less distortion from heat than thicker steel barrels. All cylinders will have a stiff plane or spine. CF barrels have two different materials competing for planes/spines. I may be wrong also lol. But in my mind, for a hunter, the cold bore vs heat barrel consistency (distortion of center ) is what is important. Fully conceding a giant steel bull barrel mitigates all of it. But I’m not hunting with that.
I was thinking about this recently. I've got a couple of pencil steel barrels that heat up before a 5-shot group and start opening up. Does a carbon fiber wrapped barrel open up (as much) as it heats up?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Light steel barrels should be shooting great groups as well. The myth that light contour steel barrels won’t group is just that- a myth.

If carbon fiber barrels are cooling off quicker, they are producing horrific barrel mirage. If they are not producing horrible mirage, than they are holding heat and cooking the chamber and throat.

I was thinking about this recently. I've got a couple of pencil steel barrels that heat up before a 5-shot group and start opening up. Does a carbon fiber wrapped barrel open up (as much) as it heats up?

They’re not opening up because “pencil steel barrels” open up due to heat. A lite contour barrel can and will group fantastic even when hotnif it is a quality barrel that has been stressed relieved.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
And the OP was NOT ABOUT COMPARING CARBON TO STEEL AT ALL! It was about comparing CF wrapped to CF wrapped but almost everyone took it the other way!
How long have you been around forums, they never stay on track...

Here is an old thread about carbon barrels. In a nutshell, the two most popular ways to make carbon barrels, Monofilament wrapping(Proof, carbon six)and the way that CA does it with hoop wrap, then a full wrap then hooped again until it gets to the desired contour. CA is stiffer and IMO why it's a better shooting barrel overall. But, if you HAD to bet on one shooting get a steel barrel.

Seeknelk

WKR
How long have you been around forums, they never stay on track...

Here is an old thread about carbon barrels. In a nutshell, the two most popular ways to make carbon barrels, Monofilament wrapping(Proof, carbon six)and the way that CA does it with hoop wrap, then a full wrap then hooped again until it gets to the desired contour. CA is stiffer and IMO why it's a better shooting barrel overall. But, if you HAD to bet on one shooting get a steel barrel.

Ha ha! Oh I know! But someone can get it back on track occasionally!

sjvcon

FNG
I looked hard into Proof and heard mixed reviews. Went with a Bartlien CF #13 for my 300 PRC build due to the 5R single-point cut rifling and availability. Lots of love for Carbon Six on this forum as well.
Well this is an older post, but I am curious how that barrel shoots because I just bought the same one for my 300PRC Build.