Car Crash Centered First Aid Course

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any good car crash focused first aid courses out there, I’m in the Atlanta area if that makes a difference.

Work highway construction, and spending all my time next to the interstate I seem to see 3-4 crashes a year in addition to maybe one every other year I see during normal commuting. Typically they happen within 100’ of me and either myself or someone on the crew will be the first person on scene, within seconds due to the proximity. I may beat the ambulance by 10-15 minutes just since I’m literally standing there. My current skills involve calling 911, offering a water bottle, a blanket, directing traffic, and trying to lighten the mood if it’s obvious they will need some help.

I’ve seen two in the last couple months where folks left in a stretcher, I’d like to think I could be better prepared to help in those cases.

AndyB

WKR
Spent 32 years in the fire service and nothing can prepare you for some of the trauma you can be faced with at RTC’s,…. maybe battlefield medic.

Timekiller13 is about right….but you are on the right track if you can also offer some reassurance and calm,👍

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah carrying tourniquets and knowing cpr can save a lot of lives, outside of that there isn’t too much to do. Honestly you need to be really cautious around motor vehicle accidents, don’t put yourself in a bad spot being a Good Samaritan, but sounds like you did the right thing with your current skill set. I would add keep people out of traffic/ from wandering into traffic, find a safe place to sit tight and wait for the paramedics to come

Last edited:

mmac

WKR
For the most part keeping them calm and not moving them is probably best. If they have a neck or head injury, you don't want them wondering around. So call 911 and then follow timekiller13...