Can't get the T3 on

After a few range days and 200 rounds I still can't get good constant groups at 100 yards. I get 3 to touch then the next 3 are 3-4 inch apart then i get 3 more to touch. Could this be due to a hot barrel or my shooting? The barrel does heat up fast. The fact that sometimes I get good groups makes me thing it's just me. I am using factory ammo win super x and federal.

Very frustrating right before a hunt. I know shooting with a red hot barrel is just wasting ammo but I really wanted to see a nice group before my hunt. I might try to find a range near Denver to calm my nerves and just make sure I am on.

Sorry, this is more of a rant. I always want to see those nice sub moa groups.

OP
Spike_Sniper
I have so much doubt with the T3 I am thinking of taking my Abolt instead. Sux to get a new rifle then take the old one instead.

Sounds like something loose to me. Either stock screws, scope mounts, or (much tougher to figure out) scope internals.

IME, a hot barrel will usually either open up groups just slightly if it's a good barrel, or if it has issues it will string in a predictable direction.

Do you have another scope you could try on it?

Yk

aron

WKR
What do you have for a scope on there? How fast are you firing your shot strings?

I wouldn't feel very bad about taking the older rifle that you have confidence in. It sucks, but if you don't get the confidence back in the T3 before the trip, I would use the abolt.

A couple of questions:

What caliber and what scope are you using?

What are you hunting with it and what are the expected shot distances?

jherald

WKR
You could try some other types of ammo or;

If you have access to extra scopes try this; mount your scope from your T3 to another rifle you know to be dead on and just shoot it to see if it's doing the same thing with grouping. Then try a scope you know to be dead on with your T3 and see if the grouping is screwed up. It's going to be one or the other, rifle or the scope. Only way to know for sure is to swap scope/rifle with another and try that. It's a hassle but will save you an extended waiting time from sending the rifle or scope back to the factory and having the turn around time with them testing and checking. If your really gun savvy you can have it done relatively easy with a day or two at the range. All depends on time you have, and how comfortable you are with swapping scopes out and putting them back on.

Some rifles are so finicky that they will downright not shoot straight unless you build a "pet" load for them by hand and go up or down a grain or two in powder.

I had a Kimber that ended up not shooting straight at all with any ammo, even hand load built for it, and the scope was verified to be true, all mounts and hardware were proper. Didnt want to fool with sending it back to Kimber since I already wanted a different version of the same rifle so I sent it off to have it customized.

Any modern factory gun is like the modern factory car. Your going to get some lemons no matter what. If thats the case, Tikka should replace whatever parts are causing the problem, vice versa on the scope.

OP
Spike_Sniper
I have a Leupold VX 1 on Talley Rings. The T3 is a 30-06. Going after mule deer so the A Bolt 270WSM will be fine. Leaving tues so i dont really have time to mess with it.

OP
Spike_Sniper
Some good stuff here. Thanks guys. Going to start fixing it when i get back. All of the shots are in an 8 inch circle. Shooting 3 shots within 2 min. I just had the scope put back on it. Before that the groups were nice. I tightened the scope on with thread lock but i did not do the base screws. Huh??

boom

WKR
did you DIY the scope install?

i had an 30.06 do the same thing. i messed up the scope install. it has BEEN years since..but if i remember correctly, i had the windage or elevation really maxed out to one side. the scope wasnt pointing perfectly parallel with the barrel, and i was trying to compensate by cranking one of the knobs out of the sweet spot.

this was an old early Weaver scope, when they were made in el paso texas. i got new rings, new VxIII and dropped it off with smitty. it shot clovers all day long after that. IIRC that is what the gunsmith told me.

good luck. sucks not trusting your gear. multiply that by 100 when it is archery stuff. gah!!

spdrman

WKR
You torque all the screws after you put thread lock on them? If some screws are doing more work than others that could be your problem

OP
Spike_Sniper
Didn't do the scope myself. After I got home from getting the scope mounted I took each screw out put the thread lock on one at a time. I just hand cranked the screws back in. Sounds like I need to take it to the shop when I get back and have it set up right. I am just lucky the A Bolt is in standby. I even thought of grabbing the bow instead.
So much for just going to the range and 5 shots later being sighted in.

OP
Spike_Sniper
User error. The screws on the bases that I did not put thread lock on came loose.