Canoe Barrel Harness/pack info

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice/experience/knowledge concerning the harnesses that are used to carry those 60 liter blue plastic barrels during portages on canoe trips. One of my sons and I are going on a boundary waters canoe trip next summer and I would like to get one of these for the trip. Doing some research and it looks like the two most popular and available brands are Level 6 Big Hass harness and the Recreational Barrel Works expedition harness. Looks like there are also very inexpensive ones on Amazon.

I know I can rent one once we get to the outfitter, but was thinking it might be nice to have one of my own. Also, I have 4 sons, so will most likely be doing this trip many times over the next several years.

Any advice on which brand to look at? Any other brands to consider?

Thank you. -Rufus

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t give you advice for the canoe barrel harness, but I can say boundary waters is awesome!! Your going to have a blast!!!

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Mtaylor. I’m really looking forward to the trip. I’ve been in the bwca before and it is awesome. Thanks. -Rufus

Man y’all are going to have so much fun. It’s a bucket list for me. I was just watching a couple canoeing the Yukon earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rutabega sells RBW - good enough for me.
Been using Bill's Bags forever.
Is there a bear-proof requirement that the drums meet?
Do the drums roll around in the bottom of the boat?

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I believe that the barrels are “bear resistant“, not bear proof. I was in the bwca a while ago and we rented barrels with Harnesses on them and “Duluth packs” to carry our gear during portages. I don’t remember the brand of Harnesses. They worked, but weren’t the best for the longer portages. The envelope style Duluth packs were awful! The barrels didn’t seem to roll around in the canoe.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you. -Rufus

I haven’t used a barrel. But I use Granite Gear #4 bags and they work great for me.

They have a barrel harness too

wilbur007

FNG
I have used "Level Six" harnesses for our canoe barrels as well as an older LL Bean Hunter's Carryall Pack. They are all equally uncomfortable for long portages. I might look at something like the Decker Pack from Hill People Gear if I was starting over. It would carry better and be useful for other applications.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice/experience/knowledge concerning the harnesses that are used to carry those 60 liter blue plastic barrels during portages on canoe trips. One of my sons and I are going on a boundary waters canoe trip next summer and I would like to get one of these for the trip. Doing some research and it looks like the two most popular and available brands are Level 6 Big Hass harness and the Recreational Barrel Works expedition harness. Looks like there are also very inexpensive ones on Amazon.

I know I can rent one once we get to the outfitter, but was thinking it might be nice to have one of my own. Also, I have 4 sons, so will most likely be doing this trip many times over the next several years.

Thank you. -Rufus
I haven't had good experiences with Level 6 and Granite Gear barrel harnesses. We used to use barrels for float moose hunts and guided a few fishing trips on the Coppermine River with them. The Level 6 and Granite Gear harnesses were always the first to break in my experience. All of the barrel harnesses I have now are either North 49 or RBW. The North 49 ones are cheap, tough and pretty comfortable for the price (https://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/466017-north-49-dry-ride-barrel-harness/).

Loper

WKR
I’m not familiar with barrel harnesses or portaging the boundary waters, but would it be possible to take off the bag on your hunting pack and rig up the barrel to your frame? Hunting packs are designed to carry heavy loads for long distances, seems like that would be the most comfortable.

LitenFast

WKR
I’m not familiar with barrel harnesses or portaging the boundary waters, but would it be possible to take off the bag on your hunting pack and rig up the barrel to your frame? Hunting packs are designed to carry heavy loads for long distances, seems like that would be the most comfortable.

This

I’m heading back up to the BW in August, I think this is trip # 8.

I’ve had the granite gear harness and it wasn’t very comfy especially for my long torso as it was too short to get any load lifter angle.

A few years ago I started using my Kifaru duplex and a cargo panel to hold the barrel. Works way better and very comfortable.

Lots of pack makers have attachments similar to it or you may be able to rig something up with some webbing and buckles. If you’ve got a pack or even an old school pack frame that would be better than at least the granite gear one.

As an aside, I know the forest service is continuing to crack down on food storage regulations. Can’t keep a blue barrel on the ground anymore and it needs to be hung. If you’ve been there you know some campsites that can be a real pain. I haven’t found a better solution yet but something to think about and look into.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
This is something that I need to look into. Thanks for the idea. -Rufus

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
This

I’m heading back up to the BW in August, I think this is trip # 8.

I’ve had the granite gear harness and it wasn’t very comfy especially for my long torso as it was too short to get any load lifter angle.

A few years ago I started using my Kifaru duplex and a cargo panel to hold the barrel. Works way better and very comfortable.

Lots of pack makers have attachments similar to it or you may be able to rig something up with some webbing and buckles. If you’ve got a pack or even an old school pack frame that would be better than at least the granite gear one.

As an aside, I know the forest service is continuing to crack down on food storage regulations. Can’t keep a blue barrel on the ground anymore and it needs to be hung. If you’ve been there you know some campsites that can be a real pain. I haven’t found a better solution yet but something to think about and look into.

This is great info. I do have a frame that I could possibly make work. Did the fairly ridged, round shape of the barrel sit reasonably well against the fairly flat surface of the frame? I’m envisioning the barrel trying to roll back and forth against the flat surface, but might be over thinking it.

I have heard that there may be more rules coming concerning bears and “smellables” When I was last in the bwca, we had a bear coming in to camp every night. It would tip the barrels over and roll them around some, but didn’t get into them. We were pretty lucky (and ignorant) back then.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
NEW THIS YEAR

Before you buy new gear check out the new rules for Bear Containers. The big blue barrels are not certified bear proof.

Blue barrels can still be used but then you have to get it up in the air and away from a tree at the proper measurements. OR have certified bear resistant bags or container in your blue barrel.

Seems like a lot of overlap and extra weight.

A couple of certified bags and or containers in a portage pack would be a way to go. I already have the portage packs and a smaller container so getting another certified item or two wouldn't be too bad. Still I would hang whenever possible.

One poster on another forum said they use a container and bag. Bears can maul the bag breaking open liquids, pastes, and such. The person said all those things go in container.

OP
R

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
NEW THIS YEAR

Before you buy new gear check out the new rules for Bear Containers. The big blue barrels are not certified bear proof.

Blue barrels can still be used but then you have to get it up in the air and away from a tree at the proper measurements. OR have certified bear resistant bags or container in your blue barrel.

Seems like a lot of overlap and extra weight.

A couple of certified bags and or containers in a portage pack would be a way to go. I already have the portage packs and a smaller container so getting another certified item or two wouldn't be too bad. Still I would hang whenever possible.

One poster on another forum said they use a container and bag. Bears can maul the bag breaking open liquids, pastes, and such. The person said all those things go in container.
More great information. Thank you. I will check into the regs more before I do anything. Kind of thinking it might be better to skip the barrel completely, get a couple bear containers like hikers have to use in bear country and use dry bags on my pack frame instead. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again. -Rufus.

Just so you're aware, because the point hasn't been made explicitly in this thread. In addition to various hard-sided containers, two models of Ursacks are accepted by the IGBC as bear resistant containers and are thus accepted for the purposes of the 2024 BWCAW order.

IGBC BEAR-RESISTANT PRODUCTS

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 16.27.07.png

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
First time in the BWCA was at 11 months, grew up going there at least once a year for a long while.

I really dislike the barrels.

I prefer a big dry bag hanging from a tree. If you do go that route, the dry bag can go in whatever relatively cheap (or not) pack that whoever portages a canoe can also carry.

Growing up I always thought we had way too much shit we brought along that wasn't needed or awkward to pack for food.

Everything tastes better up there anyways. While a skillet cornbread in a convection is nice, I don't know if it's worth it to bring along.

Just a thought.

Enjoy your time up there with your boys it is some of my fondest memories.