Can I shoot off the shelf?

Kevin0351

FNG
I’m just getting into recurve from a compound. I purchased a PSE Nighthawk. I realize it’s an entry bow. It came with this little plastic rest. I’d prefer to shoot off the shelf if possible for a few reasons: I’d like to be as “traditional” as possible, if i do a 3D shoot having the rest puts me in a different class, and i know the riser isn’t gonna change but i feel this plastic rest will move or break over time.

My question is can i just take it off and go straight to shooting off the shelf? I know i would need to put at a minimum some felt down but would i need to add some other material?

Thanks for helping a newbie to this while recurve thing.

ozyclint

WKR
shouldn't be any reason you can't. just make sure the arrow sits a little outside of centershot when you're finished padding the shelf and strike plate.

Beendare

WKR
Shooting with a rest gives you a little bit more tune-ability…and lets you shoot vanes.

You can get perfect flight off a shelf. Best advice is to create a tiny hump under the rest material right above the grip. By hump, it can be a tooth pick or tiny piece of foam- not much.

Tuning with shooting off the shelf becomes all about arrow spine….no adjustability with the bow itself…and you have to shoot feathers. My recurves typically have a tight range that works.

IMO, tuning as a brand new trad shooter is pretty much a waste of time Until you have perfect repeatable form. Too frustrating. Just shoot and work on that form And your alignment.

So when you build it up/cover it make sure you do these two items.

1. Put a strike plate on that is built put far enough to put your arrow tip just to the left of the string. If it's to the right you will have hell tuning your set up.

2. As was mentioned by others put a toothpick, or piece of something hard under your leather to "peak" the shelf a bit.

OP
Kevin0351

Kevin0351

FNG
So when you build it up/cover it make sure you do these two items.

1. Put a strike plate on that is built put far enough to put your arrow tip just to the left of the string. If it's to the right you will have hell tuning your set up.

2. As was mentioned by others put a toothpick, or piece of something hard under your leather to "peak" the shelf a bit.
i’ve also read that that built up bump should be directly above the deepest part of the grip on the riser.. would you agree with that?