Can I just say.....

z987k

WKR
But if they gave you proper stakes they'd be 8oz heavier than the competition and you'd buy that.

I have a 60lb tent that goes where I don't have to carry it more than a few feet from transportation and they used pieces of rebar as stakes. Works amazing.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
How about a stake made of "Nobendium" that bends the first time you pound it into the ground? Looking at you, Kelty!

eamyrick

WKR
Short Tent stakes suck.....

They are literally worthless.
If you got these with your tent/Tarp/tipi...toss them and get some good long stakes.
Why tent makers think these are a good idea- I'm baffled. I've been throwing these short stakes away for decades- what a waste.

Thats all.....
I was in the absolute middle of nowhere Alaska, north of the Artic Circle, fighting with useless short tent stakes. Down the river comes famous explorer Roman Dial. He told me he doesn’t use stakes. Lashes the tent cord around a stick and puts a rock on top.

Have bent a couple of the small v stakes that come with the argali tps, but they have always worked for me. Certainly never caused me enough trouble to post about.

z987k

WKR
I was in the absolute middle of nowhere Alaska, north of the Artic Circle, fighting with useless short tent stakes. Down the river comes famous explorer Roman Dial. He told me he doesn’t use stakes. Lashes the tent cord around a stick and puts a rock on top.
If we're going to be somewhere awhile, I'll generally tie them to a rock, dig a hole and bury the rock.
If the rock isn't an option the lightweight worthless stakes work pretty well, in that you turn them sideways and bury them.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Just trying to save a guy thats buying his first shelter a hassle where they came with those short stakes.

Sure there are tricks to make those work, Rock on top of the stake [I pretty much do that even with longer stakes] , Lay a stick over it and weight it down, Variations of the deadman idea, like a sandbag or even just tying off to brush or trees.

If you have ever camped in that Tundra on the Alaskan peninsula...or the deep sand banks on a float trip- you know what I'm talking about. Heck, one trip we had to search far and wide to cut 24" tent stakes as we were literally camped over marsh built up with criss cross brush- not a dry spot to be found.