Can I cut back my barrel

Matt9122

FNG
I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in 300win mag with a 24" barrel, 1:10. I have a SilencerCo Omega 300 on the way for it. Would I be able to cut back the barrel so I can shave a few inches off the overall length? If so, would I loose accuracy, how much could I cut off, is there a downside? The suppressor is rated down to 20". Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have almost the exact rifle and a can in jail, so in for responses.

I've talked to a gunsmith and he was fairly confident about cutting down barrels not likely impacting accuracy, with the caveat that you lose muzzle velocity (and therefore some ballistic advantage). Shorter barrels are stiffer (all else equal) and thus less whip.

From Silencer Central's website, they caution that you don't necessarily gain accuracy with a can - it can go either way. Dependent on your exact setup. You're adding some (relatively) loosely attached weight to the end of the barrel, so you might have to play with load development or different ammo.

At leas this is my understanding...

Just did this almost exact thing with a tikka 300wm. Same omega can. Obviously you're going to lose some velocity but I think the tradeoff is worth it.

My accuracy improved some, but you're correct in assuming that's not always the case. If it's a competent gunsmith doing the work I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm not sure on the bergara, but with the tikka I had to use a bushing to get up to 5/8. I say do it!
a09cb0f8db9b6d9b52e7592cc28da314.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back