Can a .300 WSM barrel be rechambered to .308 win?

So I’ve been kicking around the idea of downsizing from .300 wsm to .308 win. 500 yards is about the max I’ll ever shoot and the .308 win has plenty of velo for that and does so a lot cheaper.

So I have a 20” carbon six Tikka build chambered in .300 wsm. And I was wondering if it’s possible to rechamber that to .308 win. Google says it’s possible to go from .308 to .300wsm, which makes me think my idea is not possible. And it also looks like .300wsm coal is about .06 longer than .308 which also makes me think it’s not possible

Im not invested in this idea at all just checking if it’s possible. If it’s not I’ll either sell the gun or barrel and get an 18” .308 barrel

Yeah, unless a barrel was contoured such that you could cut close to 2" off the chamber end of it and still have enough steel for another chamber (not the case with really any hunting type contours or carbons i know of), not happening. 300 WSM is a fatter case than 308, you cant make that chamber smaller.

Are you a factory load only shooter? If yes, disregard.

If no, have you thought of loading the 300 WSM down to approximate 308 Win velocity? It's not as efficient to get the same/similar velocity, you will burn more powder. All other components cost the same assuming you have brass from factory 300 WSM loads. It's much less spendy than a new gun and less expensive than shooting shooting factory loads for the .308 Win as well.

OP
JPeters218
Are you a factory load only shooter? If yes, disregard.

If no, have you thought of loading the 300 WSM down to approximate 308 Win velocity? It's not as efficient to get the same/similar velocity, you will burn more powder. All other components cost the same assuming you have brass from factory 300 WSM loads. It's much less spendy than a new gun and less expensive than shooting shooting factory loads for the .308 Win as well.
Factory