Campsite/Campground Near Evergreen, CO

Have a family vacation in mid June. My in-laws rented a house in Evergreen. My wife and young kids are going to come out early and camp for a couple days before the rest of the family shows up. Would like to stay within 90 minutes of Evergreen.

I’ve checked out all the USFS sites in the area…a couple look decent. Ideally looking for something that isn’t right on a highway with a good view, maybe a small creek, nearby hiking trails, and just generally kid friendly (3 and 6 year old). Bonus points if it’s not terribly crowded..we will be camping on a Monday and Tuesday so hopefully that helps. Don’t care if it has any facilities or if it is just a dispersed camping spot. If we had more time, I’d just drive around like I do elk hunting and find a nice spot.

Guanella Pass, Meadows Group, and Geeen Mountain are possibilities I’ve saved so far.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have a family vacation in mid June. My in-laws rented a house in Evergreen. My wife and young kids are going to come out early and camp for a couple days before the rest of the family shows up. Would like to stay within 90 minutes of Evergreen.

I’ve checked out all the USFS sites in the area…a couple look decent. Ideally looking for something that isn’t right on a highway with a good view, maybe a small creek, nearby hiking trails, and just generally kid friendly (3 and 6 year old). Bonus points if it’s not terribly crowded..we will be camping on a Monday and Tuesday so hopefully that helps. Don’t care if it has any facilities or if it is just a dispersed camping spot. If we had more time, I’d just drive around like I do elk hunting and find a nice spot.

Guanella Pass, Meadows Group, and Geeen Mountain are possibilities I’ve saved so far.
Green mountain sucks unless you’re solely looking to be on the lake. Does have great views along the way. Guanella pass will be a zoo, not sure if you can do reservations which is almost needed, lots of hiking and views. Not familiar with Meadows Group specifically but it looks nice. That area in general is very popular and has had black bear problems from careless people they’ve become used to humans and come in fearless for food.
Are you pulling a camper or looking for tent camping? Try Staunton State Park for tent camping, Golden Gate Canyon State Park has a variety of options too.
Both great, my vote is Staunton
Chatfield State Park. Close and nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a bad idea and near by Roxborough (day use only) better scenery and hikes

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@fngTony think Guanella would be crowded even on a Monday or Tuesday?
Yes. Maybe. No. Mid June is typically when that elevation starts becoming accessible. The stuff closer to the road will fill fast as the more remote areas are possibly still sketchy. It’s also an access road to 14 & 13ers which will bring heavy day use.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Tent camping. And open to areas that aren’t designated campsites
There's a few spots you could probably get away with some dispersed camping near Evergreen but if you're looking at Guanella then don't be afraid to drive just a little farther down 285 over Kenosha Pass into South Park, there's some areas there that have a lot of dispersed camping but don't really want to splash them all over a forum, even though they're probably pretty well known

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not just for day use. Has campground with showers.
Sorry I jumbled that up. I meant to say that they could camp at Chatfield and then go to Roxborough (a day use only park) to hike around since it has better scenery.