Camper Shell - Windoors or no?

ChrisAU

WKR
So my GMC Canyon I ordered 11/9/21 is finally built, just waiting on it to get a ride to my dealer. I’m placing an order for a camper shell in the next few days, I’ve had one on my 2018 Tacoma since I got back from my first Western hunting trip and I find it absolutely essential.

The one I have now on my 5’ bed Tacoma has regular side windows - are the windoors worth the upgrade cost? $460 in this case. Or I could do just one side for $230? My new Canyon has the 6’ bed, one of the reasons I ordered a truck instead of buying one I could find. I’m wondering if the access is worth it?

Current truck, one of my favorite pics:

C151FB8D-2DF8-44FC-BCA4-4F60E87026DA.jpeg

JohnB

WKR
I've got a Nissan Frontier with a 6 foot bed. I was lucky enough to find a used Leer shell that is color matched with windoors for 500 bucks. After a year I realized it's going to cost me significantly more money in the long term because there is no way in hell I will ever have a shell without windoors again. The one thing that may dissuade me in the future is if the side rail of the bed of a new truck is high enough that it's hard to reach far into the truck.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I bought a truck with a shell on it and the current shell does not have the winddoors and I can’t get them on that particular model shell. I’ve learned to love with it. But I really wish I had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t get them on the shell on my tacoma when I ordered it but eventually ended up ordering them and installing them myself later. Way worth it. I have an Arb zero 73qt fridge freezer that pretty much lives in the truck so I’m able to keep it all the way in the front corner and get in it from the side of the truck. When elk hunting I was able to put that on one side and a 125qt yeti on the other side and load both from the sides and easily check ice on the way home which was very convenient. Very handy to be able to get to something in the front without having to unload stuff too. Now that I have them I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve blown a few hundred $ on way less useful things.

I fought this same decision but ended up getting a snugtop with windows. I’m glad I did because I know I’d be hot and mad on those warmer nights without the airflow from opening my side windows.

P.s. The pop out handle/lock on my snug top back glass is the most pitiful excuse for a handle/lock I’ve ever seen in my life.

Mosby

WKR
I have hunting dogs so I got windows with vents. I also like being able to open up either side. Easier to load and unload.

I like having indoors on mine. I have to carry a step to be able to reach in though. I am shorter and the F150 bed rails are to high for me to reach all the way in. I would either get them with sliding windows, for ventilation. Or slice a pool noodle lengthwise on one side to slide on to keep indoor open. We use to this for traveling with dogs to competitions.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Having owned a few truck toppers, with this last one having windoors, I'm kinda pissed at myself for not having had them before! Indispensable! I am 6'5" so it's an easy reach through the windoors for anything in the back. Also, this last topper is an ARE with a higher mid-height top. So very little jumping in and out the back with the windoors, and if I do have to do that, the extra height makes it easy to not hit my head. Highly recommended.

My truck is too tall for me to benefit from the windoors but if i could use them i certainly would have ordered them on my cap.

Definitely worth the upgrade. Pups like it too, anytime I'm parked somewhere I just pop one side open, they enjoy the enhanced viewing capability lol.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 85
You definitely won't regret getting them, might really regret not getting them. I love having them on mine and won't go back

Marble

WKR
We do windoors on all our trucks. We also put a step rail from front to rear tires so they windoors are accessible.

For me, I put a fairly large piece of plywood over the rails and create a shelf. My daily gear and dogs go onto the shelf. Pretty dang convenient. Wish I did that years ago.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
My truck is a 2500 and it’s too tall for windoors but if I had a midsize I’d get them. I hate camping and hunting and having to lower the tailgate and having to crawl through the bed to get something from the wheel wells forward. I never had a topper on a truck until this one and I’m still undecided on if I’d get another one on a new truck. It does keep your stuff dry and not covered in so much dust/dirt.

If you really feel you need ventilation as well they make a win door with a mini window in the center of the window.

I've never ordered a canopy new. Tried to convert mine to win doors and guess I can't because I have the big windows.

Roughout

FNG
Would strongly suggest. As others, access to dogs and coolers etc. makes worth every penny. Mine on super duty, could not access back back 60% of bed without climbing in without Windoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I didn't realize mine were called windoors until seeing the various pictures. I have windoors on the front half of my Unicover topper and sliding windows on the back half to provide ventilation for my dogs when going down the road. Have had the windoors on various shells for the past 35 years or so.

Definitely windows and if you.have not bought it.yet.look at four wheel camper project m.doubles all possibilities of shell.had a shell on my taco
Now I have the 4wc on my truck.infinitely better