Camp setup help

Deadfall

WKR
Would you still pick a cot over a air mattress? Only problem with air mattress is I’ve always had cheap ones and they deflate which I hate.
Absolutely a cot. If you use military style get a wood frame one if you can find one. They very comfy.
Good foam pad to put on it.

I go full air mattress, I can't imagine a cot being more comfortable than a 10 inch or whatever air mattress.
Same. Cots are fine, but I’ve always slept best with a good air mattress. Cots are a bitch to haul around too, even if you are next to the truck.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a tri fold mattress from Milliard I think it is from Amazon, total game changer for truck camping!

Probably work a a large cot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Cot for sleeping for sure. Whatever pad set up is comfy and warm. The nice thing about using a cot is the extra storage created under the cot. We use Rubbermaid totes for gear and these fit under our Cabela's XXL Guide series cots perfectly. For lighting the last few years its been led rope lights from Menard's powered by either a deep cycle battery or a Schumacher power box. Just running the lights in the morning and evening we easily get over a week on the power cell without charging. Regarding heat, yes a Buddy heater will work ok but after a few days you will notice things starting to feel a little damp. Wood heat is great but I had a hard time cutting a hole in my new tent for a stove jack. We ended up switching to Chinese diesel heaters for both Kodiak tents and ice fishing houses. They are relatively cheap, have been bomb proof so far, and consume very little diesel fuel. It's basically like having a forced air furnace in your house. Just google" Chinese diesel heater" and there is more than enough info out there. For all the non-USA haters, you can get the original german made heater but all in, it will probably cost you 5 to 10 times MORE money. We went the cheap route to test the water and so far have been nothing but happy. But....to each his own. The Kodiak tents have served us very well. In my group we have three 10x14's and a 12x12. All great tents with 10-30 days per year and oldest one is about 7 years old. Another small tidbit would be the Stormfly now offered by Springbar which is the original company that made that style tent. The Stormfly offers even more protection from UV, rain, and snow but an added benefit is the additional stability in nasty wind. We mainly hunt in western ND, MT, Wyoming, MN and have been out in some VERY windy conditions. Highly recommend the Stormfly. Fits the Kodiak tents perfectly. Enjoy your upcoming hunts!

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
cot, 4 inch foam mattress and bring pillows from home, awesome for truck camp. i bring a comforter because i sleep hot and have a sleeping bag to add to it if it does get real cold.

Pn8hall

WKR
Ditto to what most others have said. Cot for sure. Get the biggest one you can. The cabelas xxl ones are awesome. For the pad I run an exped megamat 10 long x wide. Crazy comfortable and if my cot ever breaks i can still be warm with an insulated pad. Totes under cots work great. We run a kodiak 9x12 with the front porch and side walls. Works great for 2 guys. 2 cots down the side with a 4 ft table between us and a buddy heater running on a 40lb tank sits on table top with plenty of room to set shit on table still. Never an issue running it at 10k ft. For lights we have some cheap led lanterns from walmart that you pull down to open and they turn on. Have 1 hanging from carabiner in center of tent and then 1 on front porch. Overflow gear goes in front porch area with 2 chairs for putting on muddy boots. Awesome setup for 2 guys. Run heater in morning and a little at night and gets to 70 degrees in minutes. 20 lb tank would be more than enough for a week probably but i have the 40lb so we use it. Also have a CO2 detector hanging up just in case but we never sleep with heater on. Almost forgot get some cheap sections of carpet to put down on tent floor and to protect legs of cot from ripping floor.

hunterjmj

WKR
I run the Teton xxl cot, pad and 0° sleeping bag. I have a down comforter to throw over if it's below zero. I sleep better on that than I do at home. Make sure to flip the cot upside down in the morning to dry it out.
My tent is 14x19 and I use the Yukon stove from Montana Canvas. Lighting I just use an led lantern and keep a small led lantern next to my bed. Tried an air mattress years ago and I didn't sleep good at all.

When I wanna sleep really well truck camping I do a cot with a roll up memory foam mattress. I have major sleep issues as it is even at home so really need to get it right if I have the luxury of sleeping next to the truck. This is the mattress I use. Simmons Siesta Gel Foam Lounger: Roll-Up Guest/Floor Mat, 3" Twin https://a.co/d/e2HobKL

We do a Buddy heater but only for 20 minutes while getting ready to crawl in the sleeping bags and 10 minutes in the morning, at night just let the sleeping bags keep us warm.

I use cots from Walmart.
81uuB36FqRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For additional useful tips visit https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...vas-for-truck-camp.276584/page-2#post-2723698