Camp Cookware: Do you bring a bowl?

BSeals71

WKR
Anyone not carry a bowl at all and just bring a spoon?

I'm thinking about trying this and just eat out of the stove pot or food bag.
Maybe I'm overthinking 2 oz. of weight...

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
If eating freeze dried food, I just bring a long handled ti spoon and eat out if the bag. No extra weight, no bowl to wash.

FreeRange

WKR
I don't do bag meals so almost always cook in my pot. Since I'm getting it dirty I figure I may as well eat out of it, thus no bowl needed. I have a cozy for my pot as dinner will get cold quickly in an aluminum pot.

To avoid having dinner-flavored coffee I use an aluminum cup, I heat up my water in the cup, slip it into a cozy and make coffee or tea. I do instant oatmeal in its own bag for breakfast.

I also eat out of the bag, and use the little cup that comes with the JetBoil for tea and oatmeal. I am lazy and don't want to clean anymore than I have to.

I use the jetboil so just bring a spork. I got a small cup that folds flat for Xmas last year from REI and took that to use for coffee this year.

Like most others have said, I use a snow peak 600 cup that i boil water in and also serves as my coffee cup. Everything else goes in a empty mountain house pouch, like granola or meals. Being the ounce counter that I am, I don't take extras like X-bowls or specific coffee cups or ti-plates. It all adds up

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
I eat everything out of the bag, and have a titanium cup I boil water in. Oatmeal goes in a Ziplock freezer bag with powdered milk and some almonds.

Will those Ziplock freezer bags handle the hot water to cook oatmeal?

FreeRange

WKR
Yes a lot of UL backpacker types use quart size freezer bags like others use mountainhouse bags. Usually inside of a cozy which helps add rigidity and obviously insulation.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
My survival and first aid supplies fit inside an old military canteen cup. I consider the cup as part of my survival and first aid supply, but use it for food and beverage as well. I'm particular about keeping it rinsed, for sure. All about multiple uses man!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't bring a dedicated bowl unless it's for a basecamp where I don't have to carry it. Although we actually use the larger of the Sumo cups as our cup/bowl so I suppose in a sense I drink out of a bowl and for go the cup. It does have a plastic snap on lid with an opening to drink out of that makes it feel a little more cup like, and the two of them (one each for Luke and I) fit nicely inside our metal Sumo along with the soto stove and a large fuel canister.

Either way, I don't bring something separate to eat out of that I don't also have to drink out of if I have to carry it. Hot and cold drinks are a must, and we also often eat granola with powdered milk for breakfast so some kind of extra vessel is mandatory for me. Still it always feels like a luxury when I get a dedicated bowl. Something about straining granola remnants out of my coffee through my teeth gets old after awhile :)

7mag.

WKR
The only time I take a bowl is when I take my UL frying pan. I sometimes make up pre-measured Bisquick and powdered milk, and take a packet of country gravy. Drop biscuits and gravy beat Mountain House like a red headed step child.

Last edited:

inupiat1

FNG
I always bring a Swedish Army cup with my alcohol stove since it fits in the kit and if i bring the biolite, i just tie it on my pack or throw it inside the pack. No pic of the cup but they are 10 for $13 at sportsman's guide.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418497445396.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418497445396.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 105

id450

WKR
I eat out if the mountain house or the pot. If I'm not solo I take a collapse able bowl. I think sea to summit makes it. Light and compact