Camp chair heaters

Fire_9

WKR
I've been hesitant to share these here for some reason but figured I'd post them up before hunting season kicks off

To start, I'll share the back story of how they came to be. I had a buddy take me to AZ in December of '20 to hunt coues with his cousins and uncles. Temps were great during the day but it would get a little chilly at night sitting around the campfire. The second or third night we were there, one of the locals took a shovelful or coals from the fire and threw it on the ground underneath my chair. I'm sure many here have experienced this and it's nothing new but I was blown away by it. I had spent my entire life outdoors and had never seen anyone do that. When I got back to Montana I was explaining it to one of my buddies and his response was "That's awesome, but you can't do that anywhere around here".

So, that got my wheels turning and I cut out a couple prototypes from some scrap I had laying around. After doing a little networking I discovered that a local manufacture will do projects for people in the community with their scrap stainless. After working through a couple iterations with one of their guys, I landed on a solid revision of my 'Hiney Heater'.

It's two 18 gauge stainless pans with a tab welded between them to keep them separated. Will a little water between the pans the outside will stay totally cool to the touch. My original plan was to just use coals from a fire for the heat source but have found that BBQ briquettes work much better. 6-8 briquettes will last about an hour and a half and the little bit of testing I've done, I've seen it raise the temp of the chair 30-40 degrees.

Once I had the heater design down I started prototyping some carrying cases. It was apparent that I couldn't sew fast enough to make it worth it so I sent my prototype to Needle & Shred in Victor, ID to get their take on things. They have been awesome to work with and turned out some great carrying cases for me. The bags have an internal pocket which will hold a couple loads of briquettes along with a 1" piece of elastic on the side that securely holds a 5 oz ronson bottle. The case makes them much easier to pack around and store

I know it sounds like a pretty silly idea but I've yet to have someone try one out that didn't have an instant smile on their face. I've spent many chilly nights around the campfire and wish I would have had one of these 20 years ago.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

FullSizeR3.jpgFullSizeR2.jpgFullSizeR.jpg

WoodBow

WKR
Very cool man. The design looks great. I have never heard of anyone doing this and I have also spent all my life involved in outdoor activities. I'm thinking they could work great in a treestand. Just set it on the platform under your seat.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

curtyj23

FNG
My wife is notorious for getting cold and has almost bought those cheap amazon heated camp chairs before but I talk her out of it. This is genius. Best part too, if you use charcoal or the briquettes for cooking, you can have dinner then dump those in this instead of just letting them burn down and go to waste! Take my money.