Camo Sun Shirt

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a recommendation for camo sun shirts/sun hoodie (light underarmour fishing style) they use hunting in warm weather (80+)?

I’m aware that if it is hot, then being hot is just part of the game, but every “warm weather/early season” long sleeve I’ve tried (albeit always cheap brands) seem to make me sweat more than if I was out there in a hoodie. I feel a sunshirt in something like bottomland would probably be a lot more comfortable than anything else I currently have.

I’d be willing to try higher end brands but a lot of the reviews lead me to think their definition of early season is in the NE or out West in the 60s and 70s rather than 80s and 90s you’ll probably get in Florida and Georgia.

Dsnow9

FNG
Have you tried a merino blend yet? Also some bamboo options out there. Not sure on camo though. I don’t use much camo.

Do a search on here, there have been a few threads about this. Simms usually has some camo patterns that rotate yearly, aftco has some as well. Patagonia often has camo-like patterns too. I think some guys use the kuiu gila for the same thing too.

OP
B

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried a merino blend yet? Also some bamboo options out there. Not sure on camo though. I don’t use much camo.
Not in products marketed for higher temps, all of my experience with merino would be with cold weather clothing.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU gila if it has to be camo and you aren’t worried about the price. Academy sports and outdoors stores will usually have Magellan or BCG brand LS hooded shirts in thin synthetic material. i wear these cheap hooded shirts all summer long and they’re as cool as you can expect in 100° + weather.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used to hunt every year in Northern California summer, earliest deer season in the lower 48. Potential for over 100 degrees and has happened in recent years.

Save some money and buy the first lite wick hoody. I don’t normally recommend “hunting” brand clothing but this piece of clothing is awesome in the heat.

I get very hot when hiking, so thoroughly tried various shirts. The best, by a good bit for me, is the Outdoor Research Echo quarter zip. They don't have camo, but on those 90-105 days it's my go to, bar none.

The most breathable camo I've found for hot weather is the Sitka core lightweight hoodie.

Cheers

s

Jbehredt

WKR
Orvis drirelease hoodies are very nice. I’ve got 4 or 5 and they’re all I wear on the river in the summer. Basic camo is a color option.

Orvis drirelease hoodies are very nice. I’ve got 4 or 5 and they’re all I wear on the river in the summer. Basic camo is a color option.
Dry release is wayyy too hot for summer in the south. I love mine but not for summer down here.

Rich M

WKR
Check Academy Sports

I have a bunch of columbia and cheap sunshirts that see a lot of action. Have 2 reversable camo sunshirts, long sleeve i got at Academy that are light weight and work.

I used a Kuiu Gila hoodie in early August on my sons antelope hunt. It worked great! Stone Glacier also has one but I’m not a fan of how SG’s tops fit. Very tight around the chest and I like loose fitting clothes.

Sitka lightweight core hoody. Breathes light a champ and does fine with sun, although I don’t know if it has a specified spf.

I have some under armor heat gear shirts that are camo, I believe they’re a mossy oak pattern but I’d have to check. They work well, it’s what I use in FL.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for another options would be to just get some white columbia PFG shirts of your liking and tie dye them with earthy color rit dyes.

Poser

WKR
Not camo, but living in the SW, I consider myself a bit of an authority on sun hoodies and own more than a half a dozen of them. The best on the market is the Black Diamond Alpine Pro (you have to buy the “Pro” version). They do have a Forrest green one in their 2023 lineup. $120

1. The hood is fitted with multiple panels and “hooks” under you hat bill (no other brand does this so the hoods get blown off in the wind)

2. 1/4 zip. Can scrub more heat or take on/off with a hat and sunglasses on.

3. Vented armpits. This makes a BIG difference.

No other sun hoody on the market comes close.