Cameron Peak fire

This fire has grown big time over the past couple days; snowing ash over here in Wellington. But there's a good chance 6-12 inches of snow gets dumped on it over the next day or two. Couple questions: 1. Will the snow put a real dent in this thing? 2. Will it affect things later in the season, even if it gets put out?

I'm getting nervous about October at this point. Just trying to get a bead on whether I'm wasting my worry on something that isn't gonna affect me.

Northpark

WKR
I have a bit of experience with managing fire in that area in the past. One snow of 6-12” will effectively stop growth. It won’t put it out but it won’t be active anymore. If it gets a couple snows on it it will go out. The area will remain closed to public entry for some time. The area will be dangerous to be in until a solid winter settles things in. There will be an abundance of snags falling for a long time so it’s not gonna be real safe for a year or two until the first round of snags hits the ground. It will be a jackstrawed mess for years. This is a high altitude fire where consumption of fuels will be low so it won’t be cleaning things up as well as we may think. The elk and deer will be in there the minute it cools off.

Basically if I was hunting that area this year I would come up with a plan that doesn’t involve going into the burn area. But that’s just me.

OP
FirstTimer
Awesome. Thanks a lot for the info. I have no desire to go into the actual burn area this year and I don't need access to the highway it's on either; just hoping I can get to an area that's within 15 or 20 miles of there during 2nd rifle in late October. Like I said, I don't know much about these things. Half of me thinks it's silly to even worry about right now, but the other half of me keeps thinking about how this thing started over a month ago lol.

Supposing rifle seasons are open there, any guesses as to whether bow season's effective cancellation will affect things much?

Hopefully you’re outside this perimeter. I think it’s highly unlikely that the closure will be opened by then.

Also, having followed a lot of the weather pattern coming there’s a slim chance that by the time this storm fully breaks the transition areas and flat ground on the front range will catch the bulk of the moisture. Even now forecasts for Gould and Rustic are only predicting 1-2”. I sure hope they save Rustic. It’s burning right down the slope towards them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skies are dark and weird colored. This is an overnight accumulation of ash 50 miles from the fire. Makes for cool photos though

Attachments

• 6EF3B8B8-5BF4-4E7B-9ACF-8B3434BE344A.jpeg
    6EF3B8B8-5BF4-4E7B-9ACF-8B3434BE344A.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 2843270F-48C8-4229-9969-80B506AD6C08.jpeg
    2843270F-48C8-4229-9969-80B506AD6C08.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 95
  • F173D84F-C18E-468A-BD19-F64C246A13C3.jpeg
    F173D84F-C18E-468A-BD19-F64C246A13C3.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 95
59000 acres as of the last update. I noticed that they seem to have removed the note that no structures have been lost. Hopefully no homes have burned.

While the MODIS and VIIRS data is certainly not as reliable as actual flyover to confirm perimeter, it sure doesn’t look good. Heavily encroaching on structures on the Pingree Rd and on 14. They’re back burning 14 right now.

bcb8695eb00e37c18de90e30af25b919.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea37

FNG
Drove 16 hrs on Saturday to sit in Johnstown and watch the area i came to hunt burn. Saturday it was still 20 miles away.

bbrown

WKR
Sorry to hear that...

Can’t imagine how disappointed you would be if your house, cabin or business was up there in all that smoke and flames. Here’s to the firefighters and emergency personnel up there doing all they can, busting their asses and risking it all. Thanks!!!

Sorry to hear that...

Can’t imagine how disappointed you would be if your house, cabin or business was up there in all that smoke and flames. Here’s to the firefighters and emergency personnel up there doing all they can, busting their asses and risking it all. Thanks!!!

No doubt!
Keep perspective.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear that...

Maybe cut the guy some slack. I dont think he mentioned the world revolved around him. It's a tough situation and I'm sure he's simply disappointed.🙄

bbrown

WKR
Maybe cut the guy some slack. I dont think he mentioned the world revolved around him. It's a tough situation and I'm sure he's simply disappointed.🙄

I understand what you are saying but this fire has been going on since 8/13 and he surely had to have some idea this was going on long before he made the drive. Hell the CPW has offered tag holders the option to exchange or turn in tags for the effected units. This fire has tripled (if not more) in the last couple days and has caught us all off guard. By the time the smoke clears, lives will be changed much more than the inconvenience of a missed hunting season.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I understand what you are saying but this fire has been going on since 8/13 and he surely had to have some idea this was going on long before he made the drive. Hell the CPW has offered tag holders the option to exchange or turn in tags for the effected units. This fire has tripled (if not more) in the last couple days and has caught us all off guard. By the time the smoke clears, lives will be changed much more than the inconvenience of a missed hunting season.
Yes, the safety of those who live, work and are fighting the fires is the really the only priority. And, you're right, this one has caught a lot of people off guard. Not going to argue him missing out on his hunt is even half as important. Just feeling a little empathy for the guy at the same time as I'm praying for those who are in harm's way.

Sea37

FNG
My friends cabin is up there, now only a mile from the fire. We are just in shock at the amount it has grown in the last two days. I’ll see about trading in my tag but as of now it’s not in the list.

bbrown

WKR
96k+ acres now. Let’s all just hope this storm really dumps like they are forecasting 🤞🏼. Now the 4th biggest fire in state history but likely to get much much worse without some help from Mother Nature

OP
FirstTimer
No need to get onto people for not stating the obvious man. Of course we all feel bad when uncontroversially bad things happen to others. Luckily, we don't have to forget about our own lives in the process, and we still get to talk about hunting on hunting forums. Amen to all the other stuff you said though. Go firefighters, go mother nature (y)

Down here on the Cameron Peak Fire and oh boy has this fire been misbehaving the last few days!

Wish all evacuees the best in this terrible situation. Lots of elk and deer ground that a few of you probably hunt is nuked, but I sure hope no lives are lost until this fire gets put to bed somehow!

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Down here on the Camerom Peak Fire and oh boy has this fire been misbehaving the last few days!

Hope all evacuees the best in this terrible situation. Lots of elk and deer ground that a few of you probably hunt is nuked, but I sure hope no lives are lost until this fire gets put to be somehow!
If you're working this fire, stay safe! I just watched the update they put out on the Incident Command Facebook page and it looks pretty rough for tonight and tomorrow.....

If you're working this fire, stay safe! I just watched the update they put out on the Incident Command Facebook page and it looks pretty rough for tonight and tomorrow.....
Thanks! Definitely a snaggy area up here and the wind has been a pain in the rear. A few nights ago and the day before yesterday, it was blowing 60+. Not much a person or 1000 can do when the fire is exhibiting extreme fire behavior. It was making big fire runs at 0600 a few days ago the day it went 30k acres plus!