Camera questions

My wife and i are wanting to get a nice camera for ourselves.

I want something where I can digiscope eventually, and also takes really good close up photos (fly fishing etc)

We were wanting to stay under $600 or so, any ideas?

very happy with my canon t3I an older model now as 4 and 5 I are available. bought the 3I after the 4I came out because did not want the touch screen features of the 4. just a personal thing as am sure it is ok. have three different lens for it a normal zoom telephoto zoom and a macro . came with normal and a deal on telephoto bought the macro used off ebay for a steal and it was like new. this was my first dsl style digital camera and the learning curve is easy. can take it out of box and start shooting on auto or has many options in manual and semi manual modes. not a weatherproof camera which i need but just cant justify price wise.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have adapted the Nikon 1 system for digiscoping successfully, and It does a nice job, as well as general photography.

I do think the Sony RX100 would also be a good option, if you can fashion an adapter for your scope.

Traditional DSLRs are more difficult to digiscope with given their size, weight, and primarily PDAF autofocus systems, but great results are possible when using the dedicated DSLR adapters (Like Swaro's APO digiscoping lens) and shooting manually.

The easiest way to digiscope is the compact camera route where just about any compact camera with a max zoom of 5x or less can be adapted to digiscope well. the downside is general photography quality is lower than the mirrorless/DSLR route.

Check out Aron's "Telling your Story" article on the main page:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/general

i have a digiscoping article here as well you might find usefull:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/216-hunting-for-photos